PDA

View Full Version : Let's all Congratulate Tom at OTE!!!!

Crawlin
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
http://www.summitracing.com/

Check out the main page, and look for the catalog soon and realize one of the best in the business, and soon to be widely recognized is right here in our backyard!!!

Congrats Tom!! I'm lucky to say I got the first set of 4th gen suspension pieces he's done... I think, hahaha.

b4mytm
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Tom had a preview copy of the catalog at Solid Gold tonight.It's very cool :thumbsup

I will have an OTE sticker on my car :headbang

slowlx
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Tom is the shizzznitt

JC70SS
04-13-2005, 10:11 PM
First 4th gen pieces..heh? I thought you were selling that thing? :rolf

Crawlin
04-13-2005, 10:26 PM
He did these for me back in May, nothing new :) haha

lotsals1
Nice :headbang

DocDave
Yeh, Chuck (The owner of the Impala) stopped by tonight and showed me the Summit Catalog. Very cool. I will have to get myself a few of those. I really like the part in the special thanks to section. There are a few people in the that I know... LOL :D

sriddccrocks
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
good job Tom! his work is absolutly amazing, he def deserves the credit and for magazines/catalogs to share his work! :headbang

lotsals1
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeh, Chuck (The owner of the Impala) stopped by tonight and showed me the Summit Catalog. Very cool. I will have to get myself a few of those. I really like the part in the special thanks to section. There are a few people in the that I know... LOL :DChuck 2 things he has a gallon of jack and a summit :rolf Chucky's car is bad mo fo azz

DirtyMax
04-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Pretty cool for Chuck that his car is on the home page of summit racing too. :drool:

SmokinRAM114
04-14-2005, 08:24 AM
if u ever watch the horsepower block on spike the impala has been in the summit comercial for months. anyone else see it? they pretty much show the OTE on the scoop :thumbsup nice work :headbang

Top Fuel Tom
04-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks to everyone! :headbang

sriddccrocks
04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
if u ever watch the horsepower block on spike the impala has been in the summit comercial for months. anyone else see it? they pretty much show the OTE on the scoop :thumbsup nice work :headbang

i was just gonna say somthin bout that, i saw it on the outdoor network during hot rod tv, sweet if u ask me!

nismodave
04-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I just recieved my summit catalog in the mail today.

Big Thumbs up Man...... :thumbsup

I was drooling over that car at the World of Wheels.... :drool:

HITMAN
04-23-2005, 12:42 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/

Check out the main page, and look for the catalog soon and realize one of the best in the business, and soon to be widely recognized is right here in our backyard!!!

Congrats Tom!! I'm lucky to say I got the first set of 4th gen suspension pieces he's done... I think, hahaha.

I hate to be a kill-joy, but saying he's one of the best is, at this time at least, purely your opinion. How do you know he's one of the best? Has one of his cars been entered into sanctioned competition and outdone other noted chassis builders? When the NMRA guys are beating down his door instead of Skinny Kid Race Cars, or Pro Stockers cast aside the Don Ness/Jerry Bickel chassis they're presently using, then I will totally agree with you, but until that happens, he's just another guy that welds pretty. I could care less how his work does on the show circuit. Chuck Schroedel is a nice guy, but he's a bad example for someone doing race car chassis work because he's NOT a racer, he's a show car geek that doesn't have the cubic dollars it takes to go to a big name show car builder like Troy Trepanier.

For real racing chassis work, I'd sooner take my car to Quick Carl Rodgers (7 sec. 10 wide Camaro), Dave Zellmer (Bobby Hood's 7 sec. 10 wide Nova), Shane Windsor (7 sec. 10 wide Trans Am), CRD (Jim Schneider, builder of countless drag car over the years, at present doing developmental work on Harley Davidson/Buell Motorcycles), etc., for local work because I've seen these guys cars perform at the track.

I'm sure OTE can do quality chassis work, but before I vote "one of the best in the business" with my wallet, I want to see some examples of it at the track, cutting killer 60' times and going straight all the way down the track, pass after pass.

Crawlin
04-23-2005, 09:38 AM
And you drive what again?. So let's see here, he gets Summit hanging all over his nuts because they want his car there for super chevy, when there is like 5 other things including power tour going on that weekend. So the LARGEST retail high performance and aftermarket parts warehouse has him in a catalog, has him bringing it to vegas, has him bringing it to every other superchevy show, has him winning in detroit's autorama(over other noted builders i'm sure), etc... and that means his stuff is ****? Sure, name exposure is one thing, but i'll take a hot rod built by Tom over anything Boyd and his wanna be tv show workers could ever produce. And after seeing quite a few of Skinny Kid Racing setups and as cool as they are, and then looking at the 4th gen f-body that's in the shop right now, there is no lack of quality. When it hits the track and runs straight, THEN i'll say something about it's performance. You don't care about show car stuff? Fine, then you stick with your Bickel, and Skinny Kid Racing and the countless others out there. But to me, to get your work into that mag is one of the best compliments a builder can get. So you go to Carl, it'll free up time for another one of the big projects I've seen Tom doing for guys with big money and ideas. Troy Trepanier wasn't even heard of until those years ago when he got his Rambler in a magazine, then everyone wanted his nuts. Just takes time, and don't you think this is a good start? Again, what do you drive? You sold your 4th gen right? And that Mopar that, wasn't it Carl talking **** to you about, isn't that gone too?

Ok, how about 1.4's first time out no chassis tuning out of my Camaro on a Hoosier QTP with his suspension pieces going straight as an arrow? Out of a stock torque arm style suspension. Hmm, most of the BMR folks are just 1.3's off a transbrake and I'm in a 6spd car with half the power of most of those guys and half the tire? And everyone hangs on Bret's nuts. Too bad that 1.18 was a fluke when the downpipe of Rick's car hit the beams. This year we will find out what the suspension can truely do.

PS - then again there is quite a number of cars that Tom has done that ARE tracking straight as an arrow from when he worked at the "other" shop.

HITMAN
04-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Talk about nut-swinging... :rolf

And you drive what again?
What does what I drive have to do with this? I offered up an opinion, same as you, only without the nut-swinging platitudes. To use the phrase "one of the best in the business" when talking about a CHASSIS shop, says to me he has proven performers that have been kicking ass and taking names on a national racing circuit. Show cars bore me, unless they can run like Hood's. Now there is an example of a car that looks as good as it runs.

Ok, how about 1.4's first time out no chassis tuning out of my Camaro on a Hoosier QTP with his suspension pieces going straight as an arrow? Out of a stock torque arm style suspension.
1.4's? You want a cookie? How about I direct you to a guy (Joe Lynch, Midland Texas) running a '99 Cobra Convertible 5spd with a stick axle conversion that regularly runs in the mid to high 1.3's with nothing more than aftermarket drag shocks and HPM Megabite Jr. LCA's and stock uppers. This is a full weight rag-top streeter, but he leaves at 6800. A stick car can 60' better than an auto, IMO, so don't use that excuse.

PS - then again there is quite a number of cars that Tom has done that ARE tracking straight as an arrow from when he worked at the "other" shop.
Who did Tom work for before? I am really not that familiar with him, so I might know his work based on the reputation of the shop he worked at before. (I warn you, if you say The Fab Shop, I will laugh you right off of this board.)

So the LARGEST retail high performance and aftermarket parts warehouse has him in a catalog...

Summit catalog? First of all, Summit is not in the magazine publishing business, they sell aftermarket car parts and have a catalog printed to better hawk their wares. It's not like the car has made the cover of Hot Rod... Secondly, Summit slaps a lot of their own junk on the cover of their catalog, so I would hardly use that as a barometer for picking the next Tim McAmis.

...has him bringing it to vegas, has him bringing it to every other superchevy show, has him winning in detroit's autorama(over other noted builders i'm sure), etc... and that means his stuff is ****?

Now where in my post did I say that the guy's work is $hit? Find the place in my post where I said that, and I will retract it and apologize, otherwise I think I am the one owed an apology for you reading that into this discussion. I am merely taking issue with you using phrases like "one of the best in the business" without that having been established. What business are we talking about, show cars or race cars? Show cars? :rolleyes: Big deal. For someone like Chuck Schroedel, that's great, because that's what he's into. You, on the other-hand, strike me as more of a racer, so I would think you could differentiate between the two, and not be blinded by pretty paint, polished aluminum and tiny fish-scale TIG welds. Perhaps I was wrong in my assessment of you...

Crawlin
04-23-2005, 03:00 PM
I know, my comments came across a little strong cause i kinda ripped through your post too fast. that's my fault. there's plenty of people doing special things with different cars in different areas. 1.3's, leaving at 6800rpm, great, i wish i raced at an NHRA track during a FFW or NMRA event. Then again how many passes has he had to get to that consistency? Like I said, first time out no tuning on chassis.

I don't even know what the hell The Fab Shop is cause dealing strictly with 4th gen F-bodies, i'm used to Billingsley and then Brian down in TX(Madman). I don't care for the cookie cutter shops of Spohn, BMR, MAC, Global West, ETC... Rod & Competition ok with you?

It did make the cover of Hot Rod if i'm not mistaken while it was in it's last configuration for the Power Tour event of years back.

Yeah, I see your point and I know what you were trying to say. I went off the edge with the response. I'm talking about Fabrication, whether it be for show cars or race cars. I'm not gonna say you haven't seen anything in your life, cause your probably twice as old as me or somewhere in there. I've just seen alot of things come out of alot of shops that were no where near the quality that i've seen in that Impala and the Camaro. You hand make some of the **** that's on that car, and you deserve recognition. It's a path you have to take. You gave Troy's name, and I gave my response to that. He was nothing but a hobbyist.

Maybe it should read, "one of a few up and comers", or maybe "a possible future mr. bickel", or maybe "best in the business in our small area", but only YOU gave a crap about that and that's what set me off. cause a word track is used that you looked TOO far into and broke down too much instead of a "hey thats cool". Exposure is all it takes. It's the coolness of being able to say "hey i know that guy". If Jesse James didn't have the name and asshole attitude, he wouldn't have the same things he has now. He's just be a good fabricator on the west coast. If the tuttles weren't a bickering/bitching family, they'd be nothing but a decent bike shop with pretty welds on the east coast.

and yes, i'll nut swing cause i'm happy with the performance and the treatment that i've recieved. in today's world of overpriced bullshit LS1 stuff(and you should know that) and fly by night performance businesses, it's nice to have a place that does great work and in a timely fashion. and so has everyone else that has had a car leave that shop. And who knows what could happen with resources like Bickel's where everything is based off a jig and cookie cut chassis. i'd buy one too if i was running nmra or PRO and had 3 weeks to have a chassis setup cause they change the rules so quick

HITMAN
04-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Look, I really wasn't trying to rip on the guy or his shop because for all I know, he may very well be the next big thing in chassis work. One of these days I'll get around to getting up there and taking a look for my self and talking to him. I guess I just took issue with your wording, not your intent. True talent and professionalism are hard things to find these days, so I welcome anyone that exhibits these traits. I definitely have to check him out.

As for Joe Lynch, he should be so lucky as to run at a national event caliber track. He cuts those 60's at Penwell in West Texas at something like 4000 ft. He is truly a remarkable guy (he's an engineer and very knowledgeable AND helpful to anybody that asks. He and his wife own not only the Cobra but an '02 'Vette convertible and a '67 small block 'Vette rag-top as well. He's also an old Mopar man so he's well versed in anything that has to do with good old V8 powered RWD American iron (or plastic) that you want to talk about. You will find him posting not only on most of the Ford boards, but LS1.com and LS1tech.com, as well.

lotsals1
04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
:rolf