PDA

View Full Version : question about tires

Cryptic
04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
The inside of my rear tires are balding. My front (drive) tires dont have nearly as much wear. My guess is its because I have 84k on the car and my stock struts are shot.

Anyone else got any input?

http://www.crypticvault.com/albums/random/DSCF0125.sized.jpg
http://www.crypticvault.com/albums/random/DSCF0126.sized.jpg

ffvetteman
04-12-2005, 11:39 PM
What kind of car? Independent rear suspension?

Cryptic
04-12-2005, 11:44 PM
this is on the Grand Prix GTP/GTX

Strut front suspension with stabilizer bar independent with coil springs , multi-link rear suspension with stabilizer bar independent with coil springs

CruxGNZ
04-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Is it lowered? How are the stock bushings? When is the last time it was aligned?

!M!

ffvetteman
04-12-2005, 11:55 PM
You need a 4 wheel alignment then. The camber in the rear is off.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done at Sears for about $180 on my Vette.

ffvetteman
04-12-2005, 11:56 PM
They can also tell you if anything is worn and needs replacement

Cryptic
04-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Is it lowered? How are the stock bushings? When is the last time it was aligned?

!M!

not lowered, havent looked at bushings, aligned I think around 35-40k (4 wheel)

I plan on getting lowering springs and new struts... so I would of had to do the alignment anyway.

GTP guys, whats the hot setup for springs and stuts nowadays... I've been out of the loop.

jbiscuit
04-13-2005, 08:15 AM
yep thats whats the problem...the camber is off. Thats a REAL common problem with lowered cars.....maybe when they did the alignment they gave you too much camber in the rear???? That would cause premature wearing like that

Zkid14
04-13-2005, 12:58 PM
You need a 4 wheel alignment then. The camber in the rear is off.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done at Sears for about $180 on my Vette.

what kind of vette? was it something difficult to align? A normal Alignment at Firestone is 79.99 last time i checked (I work there so...)

-Matt

SSmike1
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
hey Andy
that is the perfect Camber
for Cornering!

Leave it like it is,
and CORNER FASTER!!!!!!!

and the tires will wear evenly!

:rolf

theavenger333
04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
cryptic the "hot" setup these days is whichever shocks you want and eibachs..... as for that you might not necessarily need a whole new suspension, just a camber kit possibly

Poncho
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
here's my opinion on the best budget upgrades what you can get @ your local stealership, and online.

Spring Tech 1.6" Lowering Springs -- www.suspensionmax.com $150
They are like the stock springs, but lower, and maintain that somewhat comfy ride, but are stiffer. You don't have to sacrifice too much to get a better looking ride height. They aren't progressive like the more expensive Eibachs, but on W-Bodies, Eibachs don't lower evenly and provide too stiff of a ride.

KYB Struts - Stiffer, better than stock, and can be found for $150 for all 4. (Check clubgp.com for where you can get them that cheap)

Get yourself a GM Performance Parts catalog and have a field day.

GM Performance Parts Ft & Rr strut tower braces. (Formerly the Regal "F" Bar)

GM Performance Parts Tubular Trailing Arms

GM Performance Parts Heavy Duty (Impala Police Car) Sway Bars. These made a big difference in handling ability.

Regular Part - Engine Cradle retainers for a w-car. Replace the stock strut top retainers with these. They are the same but shorter, and greatly reduce "pogo" after lowering

By now you'll want new mounts for the struts as well.

I have all the above on my car, except I'm still on stock struts, and the ride is much like stock, but the handling ability has greatly increased.

then get her aligning, your camber is way off.

Cryptic
04-13-2005, 07:33 PM
are Spring Tech's Struts any good?
Is there GM Performance catalog online? I cant find anything with GP parts in it.

ffvetteman
04-14-2005, 01:38 AM
what kind of vette? was it something difficult to align? A normal Alignment at Firestone is 79.99 last time i checked (I work there so...)

-Matt

Sorry yes the 4 wheel alignments on Vetta tend to be more. It was on my 84. They wouldnt even do my dads 77!!

98whitegpgt
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
GMPP suspension (konis). I got eibachs, and the ride is a bit rough, but that is on stock struts.

theavenger333
04-14-2005, 02:28 PM
anytime you put aftermarket springs with any sort of improved handling or lowering characteristics on stock struts your ride will be ****. thats why half the hondas out there all bounce like crap, when i was in the shop we used to put lowering springs on stock dead struts all the time, but nobody ever listened, they just want their **** lookin all janky

Poncho
04-15-2005, 12:40 AM
the spring tech struts are quality, they are rebadged gabriel struts.

avenger, I have to totally disagree with you. My car does not feel poor in any way, other than the worn out mounts making noise. the ride is like stock, but a bit tighter, and of course the benefits from the lower center of gravity. I wanted a nice ride yet, and that's why I didn't get Eibachs, and the GMPP Strut package, while adjustable barely lowers the car enough to even be noticeable.

For the money, I'm happy w/ my lowering springs.

theavenger333
04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
dan did you put them on new struts or used ones..... i meant to say used struts

Poncho
04-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I put them on my stockers.

but basically you're saying don't put them on OEM struts either.

nothing is wrong w/ used.