PDA

View Full Version : Tig Machine from Harbor Freight ...............

awsomeears
04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Ok for those of you that never heard of Harbor Freight its a tool store with Dirt Cheap TOOLS. I have plenty of them and so far they take what ever I throw at them :thumbsup

Well one opened up in Cudahy/St. Francis in the Pic'n save strip mall and that place is a gold mine. Theres not alot in the US but were Lucky to have one.

Anywho check this out : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91811

Me and a buddy are getting it to see how it works. Any other brand name ones are $1,000 +

I mean its a risk were taking but they are very good at returns, plus u can get a 2 year warrenty for $18 :thumbsup so if it really works and breaks once a year Who cares just walk in and get a new one.

So whats your opinion on this ? Honestly if your opinion is Negative im still buying it :rolf just cuz I have to try it or else im gunna go nuts :rolf

But id still like your opinion :goof

- Brad -

Rocket Power
04-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Holy crap that's cheap :stare

I love going there and getting cheap tools and stuff I rarely use. If it breaks , who cares it was probably only $8 anyway :goof

Although I drew the line at the $12 click torque wrench I would never trust that :rolf

Al
04-12-2005, 01:20 AM
I have bought a few tools from them.

All I can say is that half of it is Communist Crap from China.

When it come to simple tools such as clamps and hammers, they are okay. But I also feel a bit guilty when I buy patent-infringed products despite the price being half as much as it costs to buy it at Sears or the Home Depot.

But I'm not going to buy some of the "Chicago" tools which are manufactured just outside of Beiging and have nothing to do with the Western Hemisphere other than English. For the same price as their high end tools, I can go to Sears and buy a tool which already has a warranty, similar output, and much smoother performance!

I say spend the extra $10 on a $50 impact at sears over the $40 one they have.

BUT- they do sell Hobart welders which I have not heard anything bad about, but then again, I do not know anyone who owns one.

In the mean time, I'm sticking to JB weld.

If you want a really good product, go to Neu's in M Falls.

DocDave
04-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Habor Freight the shiznt! Yeh it's all crap from China but they are going to produce everything in the world pretty soon anyways. You can't beat the prices. If you are looking for light duty power tools it's the place to go, need something more HD well not there. However when a cordless drill costs 15.95 I can go buy a new one every couple of months and still be ahead. I guess it's all what you are looking for...

I like em.

Flight_740
04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
I could spend hours in that place. Very cool place.

animal
04-12-2005, 11:19 AM
I bought a 2-ton jack and stands for 29 bux there! That said I wouldn't really lay under the car with those though... the safety pin doesn't go in on one of them, but for changing tires which is what I bought it for, [chinaman voice]"it was great dear" [/chinaman voice]

Al
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
I have bought some tools from there and they either broke completely, or they have lost power. Half of the stuff they sell is crap!

PonyKiller87
04-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Harbor Frieght Rocks :headbang

I have been buying stuff from their catalog/mailer thing for years. I was so happy when they open one up here in town.

Yes alot of their stuff is cheep crap but for some things it doesnt mater. So far the only thing I have gotten there that was crap was a ball joint press(the big c clamp style) Mark and I were using it to press out a U joint and the damn thing opend up. The weak china steel just couldnt handle it.

Other than that I have tons of stuff from there Air Flanger, die grinder, cut off wheel, drill bits, sanding disks..... Pretty much the way I see it something dont need to be craftsman and like someone said harbor freight is pretty good about the warrenty stuff.

If you buy get the welder let me know how it works, I was kinda thinking about one of those myself.

Prince Valiant
04-12-2005, 12:23 PM
my engine hoist, which I consider VERY HIGH QUALITY came from habor freight and was about 50-60 dollars cheaper than most.

Personally, I don't really care where my stuff comes from, as long as the price is good and the quality is right. Not a big fan of their air tools though...

theavenger333
04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
wow, you really did just call the tools Communist lol :rolf

animal
04-12-2005, 04:11 PM
my engine hoist, which I consider VERY HIGH QUALITY came from habor freight and was about 50-60 dollars cheaper than most.

But will u be saying that when the engine block falls on your big toe? ;)

This son of a $#@$^@% #@%#@#^ $$@^# #^@#^ high quality my $%& :goof

GTSLOW
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
wow, you really did just call the tools Communist lol :rolf

:rolf x10000

But will u be saying that when the engine block falls on your big toe? ;)

This son of a $#@$^@% #@%#@#^ $$@^# #^@#^ high quality my $%& :goof

:thumbsup

I've bought a few from there myself.

awsomeears
04-12-2005, 05:18 PM
WOW

I guess alot of people use there stuff :thumbsup

- Brad -

USMARINE1108
04-12-2005, 06:17 PM

A guy I know got one of those to swap 351's in his truck. He left the motor on the lift overnight, came back the next morning and the arm bent and the motor was sitting on the ground. He's an idiot for trusting it overnight, but in all fairness it would have been fine for just pulling the motor, setting it down, and putting the new one in!

Anakonda69
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
i have bought tools there and so have kevin and mark...lots in fact...so far i believe the only thing that really didn't hold up was a ball joint press. most of mark's air tools came from there and work awesome. sounds like a good rpice to me worth a shot.

lotsals1
04-12-2005, 08:25 PM
you will get what ya pay for
I have a snap on and I think that one isnt good enough --might be ok for thin gauge

Syclone0044
04-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I agree, I tend to buy the best tools I can afford, I am going to have them forever so I might as well.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low prices is forgotten. "

When it comes to jacks and lifting equipment , how much is your life/safety/limbs worth to you? Would you save $20 if you could? $50? :stare

Al
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM

Personally, I don't really care where my stuff comes from, as long as the price is good and the quality is right. Not a big fan of their air tools though...

I probably wouldn't complain about something like a hoist because it is a simple type of tool which has nothing to wear out.

But I have had issues with their impacts, die grinders, and other power tools. They just sorta break after short use. I didn't forget anything with them such as oiling, but the DA I bought from them was toast in less than an hour of use. That impact decided to not stop impacting and rather just spin freely. As for the cutting disks, they blow apart much easier than some other types I have used.

pOrk
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
So hows the welder? I was considering buying it too but it looked like it was junk

Hobart machines are AWESOME

Al
04-13-2005, 12:47 AM
So hows the welder? I was considering buying it too but it looked like it was junk

Hobart machines are AWESOME

That is one for Hobart in my book.

Corvette Jabo
04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I agree, I tend to buy the best tools I can afford, I am going to have them forever so I might as well.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low prices is forgotten. "

When it comes to jacks and lifting equipment , how much is your life/safety/limbs worth to you? Would you save $20 if you could? $50? :stare

I agree, I only want to buy each tool once and I want it to be warrantee'd for life. :)

Jabo

95Rammer
04-13-2005, 06:31 PM
The 128 piece tool kit i have i got from there for something like 38 bucks that place is great.

undesiredshoe
07-30-2006, 04:37 AM
i spent like 3 hours on that site...haha, im gonna be poor soon

1fastdeuce
07-30-2006, 07:24 AM
I see this thread is a year old, but someone must have bought the welder by now. I am very curious if it worked good and if it still works.

awsomeears
07-30-2006, 07:51 AM
holly old

GTSLOW
07-30-2006, 01:13 PM
i spent like 3 hours on that site...haha, im gonna be poor soon

My god man. :wtf

penji04
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I bought a electric impact from them and it has come in handy more times than i can think of.

Russ Jerome
07-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Not to burst anybodys bubble but that little TIG welder
is not a high frequency welder. Dont plan on doing any
aluminum welding of any quality (if at all). When it comes
to TIG welders you get what you pay for. Cheap MIG welders
on the other hand are becoming common place. I was VERY
hesitant to buy the Lincoln SP135* from Home depot in 110v
trim. Well so happy I just orderd an aluminum drive wheel and
aluminum liner for it. That little 110v welder is doing things at
home that match or exceed our $5000+ welders at work.

*$469