PDA

View Full Version : Any HVAC Tech's or installers in here ?

awsomeears
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Just curious if there are any in here.

Im going to MATC now for the degree and will be done in a Year :headbang so far straight A's :thumbsup

Classes are pretty kick ass, the teachers are everyday joe's that are there to help out.

Anyone know of open Trainee postions

- Brad -

y2kws6
04-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I have been through that same course there, but are you taking the diploma or the Associates Degree? I took the Associates Degree and was able to get a job in general maintenance pritty quick. There are some new teachers there from when I was there, but I know the program is good.

Dan

turbogarrett
04-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Head down to the sheetmetal workers union hall and fill out an application if you haven't already. Having some prior education and good grades will greatly increase your chances of getting an apprenticeship.

Brian98GTP
04-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker.... so is 'Lash'...

We have about 5-6 months left in our 5 year/10,000 hour Apprenticeship....

It goes by quick!

You cant beat getting paid to go to school.... :thumbsup

Wages are awesome, and work outlook is great..
I think for a First Year apprentice, you start out at like $13/hr
Every year it goes up a certain percentage of the Journeyman's wage....

I believe the current Journeyman wage is about $28/hr
..which increases every June 1st...
The total wage 'PACKAGE' is like $48+/hr (which is benefits/pension etc..)

Its a good trade to get into if you have some mechanical skill.....

awsomeears
04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
I have been through that same course there, but are you taking the diploma or the Associates Degree? I took the Associates Degree and was able to get a job in general maintenance pritty quick. There are some new teachers there from when I was there, but I know the program is good.

Dan

Diploma :thumbsup

The Associates Degree would have killed me :rolf

Ill be honest im not Book Smart :rolf but hands on I learn pretty quick and take pride in any work I do :thumbsup

I give you Alot of Credit for doing the Associates Degree :headbang

Lash
04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker.... so is 'Lash'...

We have about 5-6 months left in our 5 year/10,000 hour Apprenticeship....

It goes by quick!

You cant beat getting paid to go to school.... :thumbsup

Wages are awesome, and work outlook is great..
I think for a First Year apprentice, you start out at like $13/hr
Every year it goes up a certain percentage of the Journeyman's wage....

I believe the current Journeyman wage is about $28/hr
..which increases every June 1st...
The total wage 'PACKAGE' is like $48+/hr (which is benefits/pension etc..)

Its a good trade to get into if you have some mechanical skill.....

1st year apprentices = $13.53/hour
Journeyman=$29.7x/hour (goes up to $30.xx in june or maybe even close to #31 :headbang )

These are UNION rates of course. Non-union rates will be lower.
There are plenty of journeymen that I work with that get paid over $31/hr.I have less than 700 hours before I become a journeyman. I cant wait for my $6/hr. raise!!!!!

turbogarrett
04-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Damn, we sparky's are only at $27.37 on the check, although I think our package is slightly more. Do you guys have a final exam?

Lash
04-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah...and they actually added another class before our final exam. it's called "the journeymans course" lol. It's supposed to be a "refresher" course of everyhting we've learned.

I think the sparky's got a little screwed on their contract. Didn't you guys sign one right away? It tok us 2-3 weeks of argueing and 1 week of striking to get out raise. It was worth it though. Steamfitters finally settled after almost 1 year of contract talks.

Ah well....personally I think union is the better way to go.

Brian98GTP
04-02-2005, 08:31 PM
WeRd! ^^ :thumbsup

70 Rat
04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Journeyman Sheetmetal worker pay is $28.40 per hour plus benefits. The total package is $35.+++ not really sure the exact amount on that one. I strongly recommend calling the Union hall for anyone possibly thinking about entering this field.414-778-1444 is the number.
I wasn't in the union when I first got in the trade, so I've been on both sides. Non-union employers will brain wash and say that you will not work steady and that you are a number. This is not true if you try hard and apply yourself.
I took the apprenticeship and it went fast. When I wasn't in the Union I had to work overtime to make a decent living. Now I can do it on 40 hrs and have more than I ever thought I would have.

Brian98GTP
04-03-2005, 04:57 PM
WooHoo!

Another Tinner! :headbang

Korndogg
04-03-2005, 05:36 PM
This is my last semester in the associate's degree for HVAC. I cant wait till im done. Its been hell. Didja have Harvey or Gene by any chance??

y2kws6
04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
This is my last semester in the associate's degree for HVAC. I cant wait till im done. Its been hell. Didja have Harvey or Gene by any chance??

I thought that Harvey Castelaz quit/retired? Had him, he was hard as a teacher, but made you learn alot.

Also had Gene, he just stared with MATC in my Second year. He was good and very knowledgable.

Dan

Korndogg
04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
harvey did not retire. he is now just old and grumpy as hell and made everyone suffer with him. i know he is a knowledgable man but hes just too old to teach. i didnt learn much because he forgot what he was doing half the time. And Gene is just hard lol.