PDA

View Full Version : Tranny install today

y2kws6
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Anyone is welcome to come over after 2pm to watch, help, just have fun. Putting my repaired old tranny back into the car.

Dan

4232 S. 92nd St.
Greenfield, WI 53228
414-305-6530

Yooformula
04-01-2005, 03:39 PM
What the hell happened to the last tranny?

Cryptic
04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
:wstupid

jbiscuit
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
What the hell happened to the last tranny?

it broke? :goof

y2kws6
04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Well I am not going to get into it, but yes the one is broke the same way mine was. So now I had my original rebuilt and am currently putting it back in.

Dan

lotsals1
04-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Well I am not going to get into it, but yes the one is broke the same way mine was. So now I had my original rebuilt and am currently putting it back in.

DanDan just keep the other one a spare--have it rebuilt and sit on it --you'll need it--i have learned a few things about the 4l60e
one they suck two dont use alto clutches "especialy the 9 pack" use borg warners Stock hd" why you may ask --there are 5 in a stock 3-4 pack the reason they fry is lack of psi to apply the plate againt the discs --adding more only worsens the problem .just a fyi ,i've learned my lesson
To combat it if you want to do a 9 pack or the raybestes 14 pck run a 13 vane pump stock is 10 --or say screw it and do a 4l80 "like i will be doing"
hope all goes well dan

y2kws6
04-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Need to go out for a bit, call cell if you plan on stopping by.

Dan

y2kws6
04-01-2005, 06:11 PM
were back

carbon04
04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
To increase throttle response 10 fold get the transgo vacuum modulator and get rid of the electronic control. I was a beta tester for the new "Z-PAK" from raybestos in my Allison and those didn't last long. The best friction material out there is Borg Warner hands down. What trans fluid do you run in your 4L60E? A few months ago I had a long conversation with a couple of techs at B/W. Their fluid of choice is Mobil1 ATF. The clutches were designed around that particular additive package.

Syclone0044
04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Not to disagree with your experiences Carbon04 but a lot of the SyTy 700R4 guys have experienced failures shortly after using Mobil1 ATF including yours truly.. I can't say I have any scientific evidence why. But I can say that I have had fantastic success with no-name Dexron III ATF off the tap at a GM dealer's lift that I change my ATF at sometimes. I ran Castrol regular ATF with success for a short time, Right now I convinced myself to actually try Wal Mart "SuperTech" dirt-ass cheap crap, we'll find out if it's any good.. I pound the sh!t out of my ATF. A friend of mine has also always had the best luck with the cheapest ATF (he also suffered a Mobil1 related failure). The WalMart stuff is available 24 hours by me (big bonus for those late night wrench sessions) and $4.25 a GALLON :rolf

That Mobil1 is hard to find, stale when you do find it most likely, and expensive as hell. Two thumbs down!! Oh BTW - it lasted absolutely NO longer than my generic tap ATF when I ran it.. same amount of miles before the TCC Clutch apply softened and no longer brought RPMs down.

UnderPSI
04-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I like Redline ATF, I know alot of people using it with out any problems, a bit on the pricey side but i think its worth it. Just my opinion.

GTSLOW
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I'd come if I could dan, but im some distance away :(

Good luck on the swap tho :thumbsup

carbon04
04-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Wow, thats the first failure that I have heard of with Mobil1. For me it's all that is working at the moment. AMSOIL slips like no other. Thanks for the insight. What color were the B/W clutches in your trans new? Orangish? Just wondering if they are the same composition.

SSmike1
04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Just Use the Cheapest ATF Dexron -III you can find.
i go to farm-fleet for $1.59 a quart, and i RACE with it.

Hey Dan,

I'll be installing my Tranny today too! :thumbsup

I'll be starting at 9am tho.

maybe i'll be done by 2pm, & can drive the Maro over there?

:banana

super bike miike

y2kws6
04-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Well my install just went to SH!T. I was not event to the torquing part of the cooling lines and the DAMN threads just broke off inside the tranny. So now I needs to take it back out AGAIN and figure out what I need to do about the DAMN cooling line to get it fixed.

Dan

P.S. Sorry about the language, but I am a little frustrated here.

SSmike1
04-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I am very sorry to hear that Dan. :wow
well,...
i hope you are able to get it fixed in time for RA!
:banana

Cryptic
04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Well my install just went to SH!T. I was not event to the torquing part of the cooling lines and the DAMN threads just broke off inside the tranny. So now I needs to take it back out AGAIN and figure out what I need to do about the DAMN cooling line to get it fixed.

Dan

P.S. Sorry about the language, but I am a little frustrated here.

language is perfectly appropriate in situations such as these.

y2kws6
04-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Well I talked to the mechanic that did the rebuild and it sounds like an easy fix, but I still need to drop the trans again.

P.S. he also stated that any cheap trans fluid will work fine.

Dan

Korndogg
04-02-2005, 10:16 PM
i go to farm-fleet

BEST PLACE EVER!

sorry...i work there :D

Syclone0044
04-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow, thats the first failure that I have heard of with Mobil1. For me it's all that is working at the moment. AMSOIL slips like no other. Thanks for the insight. What color were the B/W clutches in your trans new? Orangish? Just wondering if they are the same composition.
Not 100% sure if this question was for me but; it was a factory original tranny so I never had it apart and don't know what the clutches looked like new. I just know the tranny failed shortly after the Mobil1. Honestly I don't attribute the failure to the Mobil1. I think it was just time for the tranny to cry uncle, but it does seem an interesting coincidence especially when a handful of other Syclone/Typhoon guys also experienced failures after using Mobil1. That's all.