PDA

View Full Version : W2W car options...

Al
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I just got back from the Lakeshore Club meeting and some of what I heard has taken away from my interest in a 2g rx7. On guy said that they were turds. This is contrary to what I have heard in the past about them being competetive in SS and IT. Yet I also wonder if he is just trying to help another guy try to sell me a 91 miata.

The condition of the miata is that it needs some front and rear work because it was rearended and hit whatever was in front of it. They claim that the alignment was not affected, but at a price of $1,000, which is probably negotable, it has me thinking.

Any advice? I prefer to get into SS or ITC or ITD. I might even make my integra into an SS car. I was told that I need a cage, fire extinguiser, and window net. Simply put, a race car in 400-600$.

One other thing- how long do race tires last? The same guy was telling me that a set of tires is usually good for 1 race. I thought I could get 3-4 races out of a set.

GTSLOW
03-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Two words.......... spec miata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

SSmike1
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
yes, the spec miata class looks like FUN.
and is very popular!

go to this iste for info, to your questions,

http://my.execpc.com/~mcscc/

i race there
and work (VOLUNTEER) for them too!

:wooo

here is another new one in town, i just joined too,...

http://racenasa.com/

try NASA midwest too!

:banana

Al
03-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Two words.......... spec miata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Two more words: too expensive

I was looking into one of those, but they have a HUGE price tag weather I prep it myself or buy it prepared.

One more thing: I figured out that my front-left half shaft is bad when I was changing my oil yesterday. I figured it out as I was trying to remove my oil filter. The tool I bought to remove it was one of those band types that tighten around it when you twist it. Unfortuneately, it was too big for the filter. When I tried the old pound-a-screwdriver-through-the-oil-filter-trick and missed the screwdriver, I ended up hitting the halfshaft and it gave me a nice "clank" from the play.

BTW- that upper cv joint was HOT! Guess it is a sign of some friction!

Al
04-15-2005, 12:31 AM
UPDATE---

I have recently realized that I have less money to play around with. So I am set on converting my car into an SS racer.

Now for a question...

How much should I expect to pay for a cage to be installed and/or a cage kit (weld-your-self)?

SSmike1
04-15-2005, 06:22 AM
i dont know?
:confused

gt184
05-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Blue Bullet. I'm new to this board, but SSMike knows who I am. I've built five W2W cars now(currently driving GT1 Grand Prix #84), I'm a W2W instructor for Midwestern Council, and a Lakeshore member. I take it that you went thru drivers school in Web's fiesta? Do you remember who told you about rx7's and race tires? You're tire wear will be directly related to speed...the faster you go-the faster they wear out. When I started in out in an ITGT firebird turning 1:24 laps I could get 8-10 races out of a set of tires, but could only get six races out of a set by the time I was doing 1:20's. When you decide what car you want to build I can help with the cage, contact me at dnicoter@voyager.net if you have any questions. Dan.

SSmike1
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey All, this Man, = DAN = GT184

knows alot about road Race cars. He has built some of the best, AND he races them, Drives them!!!!!!!

He is the guy i go to IF I REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH
about anything with road racing.
he Knows,
He is VERY VERY Smart!!!!!!!

ask GT184

he has helped me Tremondously!!!!!!!! :thumbsup
:thumbsup

Al
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Sorry to ask, but which Dan are you? the one from LSCC with the VW GTI with whom I talked with after the last meeting, the one from hyperformance, or the one who I talked to at RA last summer?

In reguards to the speed and tire-wear relationship, I was considering that the rx-7 weighs much less than an integra and hence, wears out the tires slower. Then again, it is the similar hp that increases wear because of the higher speeds. BUT, I am in full agreement with you...

As for tires, what do you recommend? I have a set of Falken Azzinis with 0 miles on them, or should I use slicks?

I will also need to get a racing suit, and everything else to prep my car.

One other question about the cage: how much "cage" do I need for my car?

One last thing is that I am planning on buying a newer car for a daily driver by mid-summer.

I might have a job at the new Hobbytown USA in Grafton. I'll probably find out on Wednesday. So far, it looks good. If all goes well, then I'll start to prep it soon.

Al
05-10-2005, 12:54 PM
...that is, how many points.

here is a web page with a few pics of cages:
http://www.werychassis.ca/rollcages.html

I think the 10 point cage would be right.

I would adjust by making my own door sections. My thoughts are to omit the diagonals by the doors and replace them with 2 or 3 horizontal bars. These would also be removeable for daily use.

SSmike1
05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
GT1 #84

dan has a WHITE # 84 GT1 car

2003 pontiac body.

GTSLOW
05-11-2005, 06:49 AM
...that is, how many points.

here is a web page with a few pics of cages:
http://www.werychassis.ca/rollcages.html

I think the 10 point cage would be right.

I would adjust by making my own door sections. My thoughts are to omit the diagonals by the doors and replace them with 2 or 3 horizontal bars. These would also be removeable for daily use.

Check with jegs too. They have some really nice cages.

Mike is this the dan that used to have the camaro?

SSmike1
05-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Mike is this the dan that used to have the camaro?
yes
this is the MAN! Dan. the white camaro.
he sold it,
and built a GT1 car!!!!!!! :wow

GTSLOW
05-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Hmm I wonder if he can weigh my truck @ each wheel. I gotta find the weight for the lb coilovers to get in the rear :(

SSmike1
05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
yes
dan can do that
if we make an appointment with him!

gt184
05-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi Again. I don't think I'm any of the guys you talked to! I'm not familiar with the falken's, are they a DOT race tire? I have had very good results running kumho's, and I believe they have a contingency program with MC. If you plan on buying a bolt in cage I recommend Autopower...they are well built and will satisfy SCCA requirements. I think you should come out to the Mile this weekend and find me...we really need to talk face to face with so many question to be answered. You can also contact me via e-mail, dnicoter@voyager.net. 96s10, I can scale your truck, but that won't tell you what spring rate you need. E-mail me. Dan

SSmike1
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
wow wee
Dan, that car looks awesome! :wooo
:wow

VERY nice job!

i cant wait till the day i can afford to go W2W

and Hopefully, your still available to hire, to build me a car!

GTSLOW
05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Again. I don't think I'm any of the guys you talked to! I'm not familiar with the falken's, are they a DOT race tire? I have had very good results running kumho's, and I believe they have a contingency program with MC. If you plan on buying a bolt in cage I recommend Autopower...they are well built and will satisfy SCCA requirements. I think you should come out to the Mile this weekend and find me...we really need to talk face to face with so many question to be answered. You can also contact me via e-mail, dnicoter@voyager.net. 96s10, I can scale your truck, but that won't tell you what spring rate you need. E-mail me. Dan

Well its an s10 so its front end heavy. I've been talking with QA1 about a coilover conversion. The strongest they can do with the front is 550lb springs. Alot of guys have been telling me to get 250's for the rear?

Dan I dunno if ya remeber. You met me many moons ago, before I joined the army :) Me and mike came over for somthing (cant remeber) in my s10. I've also seen ya few times @ Blackhawk farms.

~Nan~

p.s. you should take that car to Road America this october! I'd luv to have a ride in that thing!! (if you got a passenger seat) Or I can give ya a ride in the s10 ;)

gt184
05-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Yea..I remember now! The problem with choosing springs is that the spring rate is irrelevent...it's the WHEEL rate that's important. It all depends on the geometry of the suspension and the location of the spring mounts. You and Mike should stop over sometime....it's easier to explain in person! I left you a reply on the other page onerning the three link. I would be more than happy to help you design one if you really want to do it. Dan.

SSmike1
05-13-2005, 08:45 PM
ill see ya tomorrow dan
at the race track

Nan is in korea right now.

:)

Al
05-29-2005, 01:27 AM
..and I thought you were talking about a GTI, as in VW gti (lower case).

Ehhh, I'm stuck in a pickle right now. I have applied at a bunch of stores for a part time job, but they are not calling back. I guess I could say that helping me find a job would be better for racing than car advice. I have been conservative with my money saved for spending while out of work during school, but I don't want to touch it till I have a job.

I do not like it how they won't tell you if they are considering you for hire or not.