PDA

View Full Version : T-5 Question

MitchMeister-
03-29-2005, 12:13 AM
So.. i need a new trans for my 82 trans am. Got some questions on what will fit on it. im under the impression that the bellhousing is at an 18 degree angle down and the tranny is 45 degrees to the left. (from the rear), and this means that only a t-5, t-56, or a super t-10 from an 82? trans am or a z28 will work. now is it only an 82 or will a regular super t-10 work, because i can get one out of a 78 trans am. just wondering. i also hear that a t-5 will only handle between 250 and 300 hp. my 383 will have probably 390 at the crank, so im assuming ill blow out this tranny. i need a trans now and deffinitly dont have the $$ for a t-56. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

MitchMeister-
03-30-2005, 11:17 AM
is this just a dumb question and no one is even flaming me for it? cause i really need to know. there is a super t-10 for sale within 10 miles from me and i really need a trans.. .and want to know if it will work.

Karps TA
03-30-2005, 01:13 PM
If you're going to run any real amount of hp in your car you're going to want stay away from a stock T5. I've gone thru 5 of them.

You've got really 4 choices

LT1 T56 (93-97). To use you'll need pretty much everything from the 4th gen. pedals, bellhousing, clutch, flywhee, and trans. Plus you'll need to either modify you trans crossmember or buy a new one from like Spohn or Skulte.

Aftermarket T56. Mates up to your existing bellhousing and uses you stock clutch set. But again you'll need a new crossmember.

Tremec TKO. Can get the whole setup from Fortes. It's around $3000 for everything.

G-force T5. G-force has been building racing T5's for the Mustang guys for a while. They do F-body T5's now too. http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Suppossed to be pretty stout. I just sent a core to them to rebuild. Only problem with the G-force setup is it doesn't do much to address the T5's biggest weakness which is the case itself. But I've heard nothing but success stories on them so far from people running much more power then I do. So I'm giving it a shot. It's still cheaper then any of the other options.

Prince Valiant
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I'll second the G-force T5. It's the easiest way to go, and certainly the cheapest. Another option is to talk to some of the local guys and see what tricks they may have up their sleeves...you can make the internals strong, but the weak casing will always limit the power...

FourEyedFord
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
G-force T5. G-force has been building racing T5's for the Mustang guys for a while. They do F-body T5's now too. http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Suppossed to be pretty stout. I just sent a core to them to rebuild. Only problem with the G-force setup is it doesn't do much to address the T5's biggest weakness which is the case itself. But I've heard nothing but success stories on them so far from people running much more power then I do. So I'm giving it a shot. It's still cheaper then any of the other options.

I had the G-force strait cut gear style t-5 in my mustang all last summer. The transmission was awesome, made a cool whine too. When I pulled it out over winter however, one of the mounting points on the transmission, that bolts it to the bellhousing, was cracked off completely. My car put down 385rwhp and 402rwtq, so it might be fine with what you are guessing at the flywheel. It depends on if you are running slicks or not and the type of clutch also.

TransAm12sec
04-02-2005, 11:54 PM
How much money do you have to spend on a tranny swap?

88camaro
04-03-2005, 10:24 AM
i got my from ebay for 375 shipped. all i need to do get a clutch/pressure plate and lines.

MitchMeister-
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
so i got a world class t5 that has been rebuilt to handle 400 lbs o torque. cost me $600 but it should be fine for now.. lol. thanks for all the info.

Prince Valiant
04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
good kill...now get a motor to punish that thing :thumbsup :goof

88camaro
04-12-2005, 10:18 PM
where did you get your t-5 rebuild or did you already buy it after its been build.

thanks

MitchMeister-
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
i bought it rebuilt by accurate transmissions.

Karps TA
04-13-2005, 02:30 PM
and they told you it would hold up to that much? I hope they stand behind their warranty. Cause I highly doubt they did anything special to it.

MitchMeister-
04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
yeah me either.. but its not a big deal. i got the tranny in yesterday and it looks fine, and the input/output shaft look new, and we poped the side off and all the gears look new. as long as it holds up to around 320 lbs of torque ill be happy. ****, as long as i can lay patches again ill be happy. and if i could actually 'get them' in second, ill die. lol. its hard to peel out with a f'd up clutch fork, no transmission mount, and a tranny that jumps enough to hit the tunnel.

Karps TA
04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Just don't do hard lucth dumps on it or power shift it and it should be okay. They just don't tend to handle beatings real well.

good luck with it