PDA

View Full Version : Pig Pen

pOrk
03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
I already posted the state code for the flashing red lights. It includes parked. As long as you don't have flashing or oscilating or blinking red your fine. If its red, then there's a problem. Here's the code.

Wisconsin's Department of Motor Vehicles Law book and see section 347.25 Special Warning Lamps on Vehicles.

Except as provided in subs 1m a and 1s and authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with one or more flashing, oscilation or rotating red light(s), except that ambulances, fire dept. equipment and privately owned motor vehicles under part-time fire dept. or by members of a volunteer fire dept. or rescue squad may be equipped w/ red or red and white lights, and shall be so ewuipped when the operator therof is excercising the privileges granted by s. 346.03.

I shortened the actual stating of this law, its acutally about 20 subsections long about how the lights have to be mounted and what not and reads more like an instruction manuel for how to install them rather than a law. The whole section is damn near a page and a half long in a book that uses very small print (I can't read the book at night in the squad cars cause the print is so small). Tow trucks and flatbeds may also use redlights only while preparing to tow, that was useless added info.

When was this added, and you sa its the same when parked but what about on private property?

I was cited for flashing blue within 100 yards of a public road way last summer by a greenfield officer for having green strobes :rolleyes: This was up at Ultimate Truck on private property, which surprised me. I loved the fact that the officer had to send me the citation in the mail because she couldnt think of anythign else to ticket me for, so she read through the hand book and picked out something close. Ticket was thrown out, but this new statute is going to include red? Or is this just on public roadways, and not including private property?

If that didn't make sence, then my bad...

Pig Pen
03-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Any time any place, red lights are illegal. Private property or not, it doesn't matter. This isn't a new law. The traffic book I have is from 2000, Wisconsin hasn't updated the traffic book in 5 years due to budget reasons, I believe this law actually dates back to about the 70's or 80's.

Pig Pen
03-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Just don't use red or blue oscilating/rotating/flashing lights, those are the only colors I'm aware of that fall in line with any of the states statues on this unless there's a trans 305 out there that I've never seen yet.

DFJ6000
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
they must have just changed it, because about a year and a half ago we had called the oak creek police and asked if we could put in red interior lights, they said its fine as long as they are not on while driving.

Al
03-24-2005, 01:57 PM
When was this added, and you sa its the same when parked but what about on private property?

I was cited for flashing blue within 100 yards of a public road way last summer by a greenfield officer for having green strobes :rolleyes: This was up at Ultimate Truck on private property, which surprised me. I loved the fact that the officer had to send me the citation in the mail because she couldnt think of anythign else to ticket me for, so she read through the hand book and picked out something close. Ticket was thrown out, but this new statute is going to include red? Or is this just on public roadways, and not including private property?

If that didn't make sence, then my bad...

Just because we had been argueing in the other thread, doesn't mean I won[t agree with you on this.

What is the real deal with red lights? I know that my brake lights are red and they face backwards and are 100% legal (and required).

Also, what is the deal with the under-body lights? I can understand that some colors are not allowed, but I think that anything which adds to the visibility of a car is an advantage.

I'm not too interested in underbody lights, but I always thought about using amber lights all the way around, and then wire a red one to the brake lights and mount it under the rear bumper.

If such lights are illegal, then why can semi rigs have running bord lights? The only difference here is that the lights are on the inside of the running boards.

WilliamZ
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Just because we had been argueing in the other thread, doesn't mean I won[t agree with you on this.

What is the real deal with red lights? I know that my brake lights are red and they face backwards and are 100% legal (and required).

Also, what is the deal with the under-body lights? I can understand that some colors are not allowed, but I think that anything which adds to the visibility of a car is an advantage.

I'm not too interested in underbody lights, but I always thought about using amber lights all the way around, and then wire a red one to the brake lights and mount it under the rear bumper.

If such lights are illegal, then why can semi rigs have running bord lights? The only difference here is that the lights are on the inside of the running boards.

Truck lights are not oscilating/rotating/flashing lights.

Visibility is good but emergency colors on a non-emergency cars are not allowed

pOrk
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Any time any place, red lights are illegal. Private property or not, it doesn't matter. This isn't a new law. The traffic book I have is from 2000, Wisconsin hasn't updated the traffic book in 5 years due to budget reasons, I believe this law actually dates back to about the 70's or 80's.

Okay, so lets say my car is parked in a lot and the lights are flashing. under that statue, I wodl be fined correct? If so, it would be a 0 ppoint ticket ( since I am not moving ). But why haven't I been ticketed thus far, is red not a big deal? I was tickted for the blue UB kit, but I have never been questioned for the red leds on the rear bumper.

pOrk
03-24-2005, 03:49 PM

That fancy UB kit I had last year had a streetwise mode giving the UB kit amber to the side tubes, red to the rear, and white to the front. The colors were all legal, but I was still ticketed because it was aftermarket lighting.

I see motorcycles with lights on them all the time and I rarely see them get hasseled, same with big rigs. Its a bummer :yawn:

Al
03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Truck lights are not oscilating/rotating/flashing lights.

Visibility is good but emergency colors on a non-emergency cars are not allowed

I meant stationary lights underneath a car.

That fancy UB kit I had last year had a streetwise mode giving the UB kit amber to the side tubes, red to the rear, and white to the front. The colors were all legal, but I was still ticketed because it was aftermarket lighting.

I see motorcycles with lights on them all the time and I rarely see them get hasseled, same with big rigs. Its a bummer :yawn:

Back when my dad bought our van, he picked up an aftermarket runningboard set with the amber lights. It also included a lip to go underneath the front bumper with amber lights and one with red lights to go under the rear bumper. We never installed the rear one, but never recieved any flack for the others.

I guess the laws are different for bigger vehicles. :rolleyes:

Nix
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Iam not too sure if this is true, but dont different counties have different laws, such as UB kits are legal in some places and not in others? I believe in Port Washington you can have them on while driving and parked, but in other counties they are totally illegal regardless. I believe that the police describe the UB kits on while driving a "distraction" for other drives and that why they are forbidden. Like I said Iam not exactly sure but thats my 2cents.

SMS 1
03-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Iam not too sure if this is true, but dont different counties have different laws, such as UB kits are legal in some places and not in others? I believe in Port Washington you can have them on while driving and parked, but in other counties they are totally illegal regardless. I believe that the police describe the UB kits on while driving a "distraction" for other drives and that why they are forbidden. Like I said Iam not exactly sure but thats my 2cents.

Off topic but do you live in Port?

Pig Pen
03-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Okay, so lets say my car is parked in a lot and the lights are flashing. under that statue, I wodl be fined correct? If so, it would be a 0 ppoint ticket ( since I am not moving ). But why haven't I been ticketed thus far, is red not a big deal? I was tickted for the blue UB kit, but I have never been questioned for the red leds on the rear bumper.
It believe it would just be a money fine with no points cause your car is not current in travel. I can only think that you haven't been warned or what not about red because WAPD doens't have a Traffic Unit that's as anal in training and State Staute research as we are, which isn't a bad thing, cause you haven't been hit for it.

Underbody kits are illegal in all of Wisconsin, its a uniformed traffic code, making it the entire state. Most traffic laws are the same through out the state, and I don't know of any that are different. Underbody lights are illegal while the car is in motion on a public road way. Its illegal cause it is considered a distraction to other drivers on the road way making it a safety issue. The only reason why I can think Port lets it go is its the Officer's decision to enforce what laws. If an officer didn't feel like enforcing speed limits, he doesn't have to. If an officer only wants to pull over cars with passenger headlights and tail lights not operating, thats his call.

Pig Pen
03-25-2005, 12:52 PM

yeah, different Trans 305 codes effect cars vs. semi vs. cycle. They don't have any lighting laws unlike cars, they can get away with alot in that respect.

Al
03-25-2005, 02:19 PM

If they want to avoid distractions, they should outlaw Ferraris and such.

BTW- the lights on the van were a series of lightbulbs on the outside of the runningboard, but underbody lights.

BTWII- I did cruise a few times in this car and never recieved any flak.
BTWIII- that van did haul ass for cuch a big vehicle!
BTWIV- it did massive burnouts!

pOrk
03-25-2005, 05:08 PM
yeah, different Trans 305 codes effect cars vs. semi vs. cycle. They don't have any lighting laws unlike cars, they can get away with alot in that respect.

I need a bike :banana

Nix
03-25-2005, 08:02 PM
SMS1, no I dont live in Port, but my cousins did, I visit my Aunt up there every now and then. I believe they both went to Port High, home of the Pirates? I think was their school mascot. You wouldnt happen to know a Dan Fisher or a Ben Fisher? Ben graduated in 99' and Dan graduated in 02' or 03' I believe. Nick

pOrk
03-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Pig Pen has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

So heres my responce:

No sir, I work for UPS and my bud Dan works for Ultimate, but he was transferred to their other store in Waukesha. I meet alot of people through that store though, alot of truck guys :thumbsup

Al
03-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey pork...

I'll take your word on you not being the person tailgating me. I remember seeing your car around the time of the tailgater and assumed it was you, but it could have been someone else doing that.

But I did think you were a cop and I was like "Oh ****, what did I do." Then you drove by. I don't think a cop would EVER have plates like yours.

pOrk
03-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey pork...

I'll take your word on you not being the person tailgating me. I remember seeing your car around the time of the tailgater and assumed it was you, but it could have been someone else doing that.

But I did think you were a cop and I was like "Oh ****, what did I do." Then you drove by. I don't think a cop would EVER have plates like yours.

Well, either way I dont take anything said to heart. I just hope I dont offend too many people on here. Its better to have friends then enemys!

And tonight I just found out that there is an all black impala with window tint and black wheels with chrome trim rings that flys around, I guess the guy drives like a TOTAL ass wad. I am thinking this might be what some of you are seeing.

lotsals1
03-26-2005, 07:06 PM
The FAA may have a bigger fine for being a Mobile freekin airport :thumbsup

Pig Pen
03-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Sorry bout that. Sometime in the near future, I can give you the WI Stature book on motor vehicles. Maybe I can drop it off at UPS. Which one do you work at?

pOrk
03-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Sorry bout that. Sometime in the near future, I can give you the WI Stature book on motor vehicles. Maybe I can drop it off at UPS. Which one do you work at?

Oak Creek

Just call me when your in or near West Allis ( 414) 531-4552

I expect most of us are mature enough not to prank call

pOrk
03-27-2005, 04:22 PM
The FAA may have a bigger fine for being a Mobile freekin airport :thumbsup

:rolf