PDA

View Full Version : Question

Kevin_315
03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
I got a quick question for anyone that thinks they can help...

I was driving around tonight and I had to make a u-turn so I spun my back end around by applying the gas a little bit and then all the sudden my power-steering seemed to dissapear and my dash lights went a little dimmer, also the check gauge light came on and my battery appeared to be on the lower end. I was just wondering what this could be, (battery was just replaced not too long ago like 6 months at most) Thanks for anyone that could shed some light on this. :confused

I'm going to let the car sit overnight and see if it just goes away and it was some weird freak thing but somehow I doubt it will lol. :wtf

(Oh and fyi 96' camaro z28)

Nix
03-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Stupid input here, but perhaps it has something to do with the belt comming off/loose? That would explain the power steering gone, lights getting dim cause the alternator was not able to give a charge to the battery therefore the lights started to go dim. Did you happen to notice if the car temp went up at all? Maybe the belt hopped off or frayed and broke? Maybe this will help if not sorry for wasting the space in this post. :banana

Kevin_315
03-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey man it's not wasting its something to look for, i dont think it was it temp stayed the same but i'll look thanks for your input :thumbsup

SlowStee
03-21-2005, 02:24 AM
Do you have any charging problems? (F.E, does the needle on your voltage gauge bounce around a lot?) Have you driven it to date? any noticeable problems?

Also, Try posting on Cz28.com or LS1.com for faster responses :)

Crawlin
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
car temp goes up because the belt is/was not spinning the water pump so no coolant circulation. that's what my LS1 did when it threw the belt on the dyno, and on the way home from Speed Inc., and.... hahha, $150 Katech Billet Tensior later and no more problems :)

TaraBear
03-21-2005, 06:22 PM
i think your belt came off cause your belt keeps everyhthing working and the batter will most likely drain. or just take it to pat's and they will fix it. lol :shades

88blknotch
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
I may be a Ford guy, but correct me if I'm wrong. The 96 should be an Lt1. The Lt1's water pump is not driven off the belt, but off the cam. Their for if the belt should pop off it wouldn't effect the cooling system. I could be wrong though.

Crawlin
03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
actually i think your right ian, i think it's cam driven like you said. haven't touched one in a long time so don't remember. it does have that flat front plate on the front of it for no pulley.

Kevin_315
03-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all your guys help, this morning when it was actually light and I could see I noticed the belt was gone right away. lol so ya it doesn't affect the cooling system :) Thanks for all the input :thumbsup

Nix
03-22-2005, 12:13 AM
OMG! I cant believe that I was actually rite for once and had some decent input!!! :chair: :punch: