PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see 2 guys garage on Speed ch? STS turbo??

Yooformula
03-16-2005, 08:30 PM
They took a 98-00 SS and installed an STS turbo kit on it. Bone stock it dynoed 25xrwhp/26xrwtq...wtf is that?!?! I have never seen a stock LS1 dyno that low before. Anyways, after the install, it put down 409rwhp/398rwtq, not bad for a simple bolt-on.

SlowStee
03-16-2005, 10:11 PM
They took a 98-00 SS and installed an STS turbo kit on it. Bone stock it dynoed 25xrwhp/26xrwtq...wtf is that?!?! I have never seen a stock LS1 dyno that low before. Anyways, after the install, it put down 409rwhp/398rwtq, not bad for a simple bolt-on.
STS turbo = DYNO QUEEN :chair: :chair:

lotsals1
03-17-2005, 12:00 AM
the lowest i ever heard was 285 man that thing sux -and all that mone and 409rwhp --what a slug --my first cam i made more than that- WEAK

GTSLOW
03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
My guess is they dyno it at like 90% throttle then full on the after so the gains look better!! :punch:

BAD LS1
03-17-2005, 06:53 AM
My guess is they dyno it at like 90% throttle then full on the after so the gains look better!! :punch:

Have you ever driven a half way fast turbo car? :goof There is virtually 0 difference from half throttle to full throttle when its under boost. Even if they dyno it at 90% WOT n/a the #s aint gonna be that off.

Still it gained over 100HP from the kit, i think on a much stouter motor to begin with, more aggressive boost... the thing really might lay some good #s down...

But then again... http://prodtn.cafepress.com/7/9477547_B_tn.jpg

JC70SS
03-17-2005, 08:13 AM
I don't know what difference it makes, but it was on a mustang dyno FYI.

xsbc63x
03-17-2005, 08:33 AM
thats why its a junk azz dyno takes after teh cars

GTSLOW
03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Have you ever driven a half way fast turbo car? :goof There is virtually 0 difference from half throttle to full throttle when its under boost. Even if they dyno it at 90% WOT n/a the #s aint gonna be that off.

Still it gained over 100HP from the kit, i think on a much stouter motor to begin with, more aggressive boost... the thing really might lay some good #s down...

But then again...

No I'm saying before they added the turbo.

lotsals1
03-17-2005, 07:09 PM

But then again... http://prodtn.cafepress.com/7/9477547_B_tn.jpgTommy not do only the hp's suck the torque is pathetic for a 4k kit -and 99.9% of the time turbo or sc cars put down decent hp but alot more torque --so IMO this turbo kit isnt worth squat-100hp out of 4,000 bux
i could do it for under 1k N/A no problem--if the tq was up then it would show some promiss -you can have all the hp you want i'll take tq because the tq will result in the E.T. more than the hp -then you have all the other headaches involved with a turbo setup -

BAD LS1
03-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Well for comparison sake... here is the dyno chart from my turd back in aug.

I made almost as much hp and tq on a Dynojet as this turbo car did :rolf

Little big... and i accidently cut half the fukker off when trying to shrink it :mad: But you will all see the point. 390 and 375 tq

http://i159.exs.cx/img159/1305/dyno6at.jpg

lotsals1
03-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Heh i found my first run on the dyno with my small cam and stock injectors-with my 2:73's in the azz that ended up hitting some serious mph on the dyno causeing my tailshaft houseing on my tranny to snap clean off "nice since i was only a hour and a half from home :goof not too shabby for a stock headed cam intake and headers --not posting my newest one until the other motor is together :D

Yooformula
03-18-2005, 12:54 AM
$4gs for that kit?!?!?!?! :eek: :wow

Syclone0044
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
I think the STS Turbo has unfairly got a bad rap in the past. The fact of the matter is they are significantly cheaper than a full "traditional" turbo kit and they still provide results. You have to consider most of the people who have them don't have a lot of money and are dynoing them with stock motors (turbo un-friendly 10.1:1 compression) and ultra low boost (single digit PSI? LOL :rolf ) on pump gas (Gag!).

I would absolutely LOVE to put an STS turbo on an LS1 and give me a week or so to dial it in and see what kind of results I could produce.. I'll bet I could make 550HP/TQ or more.. All it would take is some high octane fuel, high boost, and crossed fingers for that stock bottom end.. But it's never been a secret that If You Wanna Play - You Gotta Pay....!

PS: I have seen some high STS Turbo dyno sheets on LS1Tech.com and I have seen some high MPH and at least 11 second ETs already.. I'm sure there will be more where that came from. For some reason the STS Turbo is very much "hated upon" and it confuses me but my best guess is that a lot of guys get really angry at this kit because it poses a threat to their own cars.. why get upset? If it's such crap then you can just pity the person buying it.. nobody is forcing anyone to get one.. When people hate something it can reveal alot about themselves...

Brian98GTP
03-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Mustang dyno = :lame:

turbogarrett
03-20-2005, 11:44 AM
For $4k you could buy this "true" GT42 turbo kit phamspeed.com, pick up an ebay intercooler and bov, a couple 3" aluminum bends, couplings and if you're handy with a tig welder, probably have enough left over for a case of beer.

I have never ridden in a sts car, but I would imagine the lag would be more than noticeable. $4k doesn't seem like that great of a value, when mild head/cam packages can give you more for half the price.

SlowStee
03-20-2005, 01:44 PM

Mustang dyno = best for tuning, and actual applications

Dynojet = Best for Bragging rights :thumbsup

:D

Syclone0044
03-20-2005, 02:34 PM
FWIW , it's worth taking a look at the various turbo kits offered on this page: http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Forced%20Induction and looking at the dyno images and seeing where the power is made with regards to spoolup/peak power... I think the STS does comparably well. In fact if you want early power, you could do a lot worse than an STS turbo by getting a centrifugal blower that doesn't make peak power until right before you shift.

lotsals1
03-20-2005, 05:43 PM
FWIW , it's worth taking a look at the various turbo kits offered on this page: http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Forced%20Induction and looking at the dyno images and seeing where the power is made with regards to spoolup/peak power... I think the STS does comparably well. In fact if you want early power, you could do a lot worse than an STS turbo by getting a centrifugal blower that doesn't make peak power until right before you shift.All the kits suck for the ls1 by the time they get one to work decent most of the N/A guys will be right there --If Im going to put a Turbo kit on it better make at least 600 and bucu tq.

scubastang
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM

what do you mean? a Mustang dynometer is a much better and more importantly, accurate dynometer IMO.

:wtf

GTSLOW
03-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Why do they call them mustang dynos neways?

Brian98GTP
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
what do you mean? a Mustang dynometer is a much better and more importantly, accurate dynometer IMO.

:wtf

I'll be the first to admit, Im NOT a DYNO expert... so keep the flames to a minimum...

..but, it just seems like its a Glorified G-tech.... From what I understand, there's so many different variables that can throw the number off...things like "wind factor" to me seem fishy. i would like to know how they measure that.....do they have a database of cars that they have windtunnel data for? i'm assuming not. therefore they must have to use some kind of statistical method or standard numbers to figure out the aerodynamic load on a car....but, maybe i'm wrong...but if its true, that doesn't seem like a "real world" application to me. The Mustang dyno may be better for tuning a radical combination before hitting the track.

Besides... most people go to the dyno to enlarge their EGO's anyways!! :goof

Horsepower is simply a unit of measurement to describe the amount of power required to move a given weight a given distance over a given time. When you spin the drum on a chassis dyno, you are doing just that. Therefore, measuring the accelleration of the drum can be used to accurately calculate the horsepower transmitted to the drum. The only variables that could cause a false reading would be added resistance in turning the drum(from bearing problems or mis-alignment), incorrect formulas, glitching or faulty components, etc...

My opinion anyways.... from the little knowledge I have about them... :)

UnderPSI
03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
what you say makes sense sensai

Syclone0044
03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I hope to dyno my rides this year just to see where they make their power and what kind of numbers I can hit.

I will stick with a Dynojet as it's the standard everyone compares against.

The thing I don't like about dynos is they don't necessarily represent how your vehicle is going to perform in the real world, especially on an automatic vehicle (I got it the worst with a high stall converter, turbocharged engine, running through a disconnected open full-time AWD transfer case).

UnderPSI
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Dyno numbers are misleading, I made close to 500 on the dyno, and i am still slow. Hope fully some day i will have the money to do an LT1 conversion