PDA

View Full Version : wtf is crankwalk?

DFJ6000
03-12-2005, 11:00 AM
im in the markey for a new car, and i really like 2nd gen DSM's, ive heard both good and bad about reliability, but what in the heck is crank walk? i heard that come up more than once?

CruxGNZ
03-12-2005, 11:17 AM
http://www.datsunracing.com/other/humor/crankwalk1.jpg
http://www.datsunracing.com/other/humor/crankwalk2.jpg

!M!

Max 93
03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
:rolf :rolf :rolf

Nix
03-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Iam gonna be laughin at that one all day :rolf :rolf

GRNDNL
03-12-2005, 11:50 AM
:rolf

Is that Bad?...........

SmokinRAM114
03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
:rolf :rolf :shades

Yooformula
03-12-2005, 12:05 PM
OMG that hurts!! :durr :rolf

lotsals1
03-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Clever I will say--To answer your question "crank walk " --The crank moves /slides forward and backwards -- if you grabbed the crank pulley and pulled on it and it moved forward or backwards --that is crankwalk --and no it is not a good thing mostly from abuse or poor engineering or just bad bearings

RedGSX
03-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Before you ask anymore questions about a DSM be sure and check out these key pages http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html and dsmtuners.com . Any question you can think of has already been answered. It's just a matter of taking the time and searching for them.

DFJ6000
03-12-2005, 07:18 PM
haha haha, thanks for the info, so are dsms reliable?

loud91rs
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
are dsms reliable :rolf :rolf :rolf that's almost as funny as the crankwalk pictures :thumbsup

lotsals1
03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
are dsms reliable :rolf :rolf :rolf that's almost as funny as the crankwalk pictures :thumbsupYou have to have exp. with DSM's lets put it this way if the timeing belt jumps or snaps --the motor is basicly junk--any over head cam car can do that "the valves smack the pistons " For what you pay for one of those another 2-3 k you could be in a stang or ls1 car -or a lt1 --insurance isnt any cheaper on a dsm how much are you looking to spend and what do you like ? "I know people"

GTSLOW
03-13-2005, 12:23 AM
are dsms reliable :rolf :rolf :rolf that's almost as funny as the crankwalk pictures :thumbsup

:rolf

http://www.thenomercyclan.com/images/emotes/bananaparty.gif

Al
03-13-2005, 01:12 AM
NO...You have it all wrong!

Crankwalk is when you do too much crank and you go walking off only to come back to reality and not know where the **** you are!

RedGSX
03-13-2005, 01:17 AM
haha haha, thanks for the info, so are dsms reliable?

All depends on how much money you have...but any car once you start modifying it the reliability comes into question. It just seems that with a DSM that percent may be a little higher. :rolleyes:

GTSLOW
03-13-2005, 01:25 AM
It just seems that with a DSM that percent may be a little higher. :rolleyes:

http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smilerice.gif http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/kekekegay.gif

DFJ6000
03-13-2005, 03:58 AM
within the next few weeks here, im lookin to spend around 5k somethin nice and everydayable, thats also modable.

WilliamZ
03-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Shouldn't the word reliable be censored from this thread? When I owned DSMs I would always make it to work in the mornings but making it home? That's another story.. They are a blast to mod and they do take a lot of abuse. A lot of people just throw on parts on these cars and do not know how to tune them and then they break, or they don't change their t-belt and then they ruin a head or pistons when an old belt snaps.. I never had engine problems with any of mine. Ok maybe ate a piece of a valve once.. I had trouble with the transmissions and rear axles because I was very hard on the car while launching.. stutter box :drool:

loud91rs
03-13-2005, 09:20 AM
i don't know about the 2g dsms but my friend and i owned 1gs and they are so tempermental FOR NO REASON. you would be sitting there idling and it would just start stumbling for no reason. turn it off, start it up again and it would act like nothing happened. stuff like this just makes me wonder about those things.

Junky Giorgio
03-13-2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.datsunracing.com/other/humor/crankwalk1.jpg
http://www.datsunracing.com/other/humor/crankwalk2.jpg

!M!

i can't stop laughing :omg to anyone who inquires about a DSM, let me tell you, i've owned my 2g for a year and 2 months now. and out of those 14 months, its only ran for 5 out of the 14 months...and my motor never crankwalked, i just knew it would some day thats why i got rid of the 7 bolt block...like CDW81 (williams) said, they're fun and go fast cheap, but the driveline can't hold sh1t for power. i've broken axels and shattered my trans on my 92' talon. along with many other miscellaneous parts. Oh williams don't forget about the 'crankshaft pulley dampner' that fell off your car when you launched your 95'gsx for my camera a few years ago........lol

RedGSX
03-13-2005, 10:48 AM
I too also know many people that have gone through crankwalk and have just rebuilt again. I have had my car for a little over a year and a half. I have had no major issues with my car to the point were I couldn't drive it. But, every car is different...I say just go out and buy what you want.

DFJ6000
03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
thanks for the insight, im not even sure yet what im gonna buy just gettin ideas

xsbc63x
03-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Lol

xsbc63x
03-13-2005, 12:03 PM
look on chitown theres a supposidly built up 98 eclipse for 14500$ 500 wheel hp

RedGSX
03-13-2005, 01:50 PM
look on chitown theres a supposidly built up 98 eclipse for 14500$ 500 wheel hp

If you go to dsmtuners.com you'll find a lot of eclipse's and talon for sale with stroker blocks and 6-bolts for 15 and 16 grand varying from 400 to 600 claimed hp. For reason's of the owner's selling the car it's usually, "they want to get out from under the payments." or they're going to college. It's amazing what a kid with line of credit will do, priorities get a little fuzzy. But for the buyer it's their gain and sellers lost. Don't be afraid to buy a built car, but bring someone with that knows the car or engines.

fireguyrick
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
If you go to dsmtuners.com you'll find a lot of eclipse's and talon for sale with stroker blocks and 6-bolts for 15 and 16 grand varying from 400 to 600 claimed hp. For reason's of the owner's selling the car it's usually, "they want to get out from under the payments." or they're going to college. It's amazing what a kid with line of credit will do, priorities get a little fuzzy. But for the buyer it's their gain and sellers lost. Don't be afraid to buy a built car, but bring someone with that knows the car or engines.

I have never been a fan of buying someone elses project. You really never know what you could end up with. When I bought my first WRX I looked at some modified pre owned ones, and nearly ran away from all of them. If you buy a prebuilt car, you really should, like it was said, have someone along that knows the car in and out. For example, I was talking to one guy about his preowned WRX. I was already gun shy of it because it had a MBC, but when he told me he had the boost upped to 20 psi and was not experiencing any issues, I knew he was full of it (Fuel Cut on a WRX happens WAY before 20psi). Then when I drove it I asked him how long his gears had been grinding when shifting, his response was that it was due to the shifter bushings he put in...HAHAHAHA.

In the end, just make sure you KNOW what you are getting into, and honestly, if it seems to good to be true......

Rick

jbiscuit
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
OMG that crank walk picture with the leash is the shizz!!!!! I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard :rolf

Pig Pen
03-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I'd like to say I've been happy with my 2nd Gen. I got the car in 2000 with 34,000 miles, it now has 140,000 miles and beside new clutch and new wheel bearings I've really had no problem with my car. I've had no sign of crank walk and at this point who cares, it has more miles than alot do because people seem to blow them up. The crank walk problem with the 2nd gen's seems like a pretty easy fix for 70 dollars at all the DSM sites.

WilliamZ
03-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, I'd like to say I've been happy with my 2nd Gen. I got the car in 2000 with 34,000 miles, it now has 140,000 miles and beside new clutch and new wheel bearings I've really had no problem with my car. I've had no sign of crank walk and at this point who cares, it has more miles than alot do because people seem to blow them up. The crank walk problem with the 2nd gen's seems like a pretty easy fix for 70 dollars at all the DSM sites.

Tell me about this $70 crankwalk fix ;)

jbiscuit
03-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I think he is referring to the balance shaft removal mod if I'm not mistaken...which doesn't eliminate crank walk. The only real way to eliminate the issue would be to get rid of the crank itself, or go with a 1st gen motor correct?

GRNDNL
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
The only real way to eliminate the issue would be to get rid of the crank itself

:shades

Explain to me how that works.......

WilliamZ
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I think he is referring to the balance shaft removal mod if I'm not mistaken...which doesn't eliminate crank walk. The only real way to eliminate the issue would be to get rid of the crank itself, or go with a 1st gen motor correct?

No, BS removal is something completely different. Yes the correct way is to put in a 1G 6 bolt engine..

jbiscuit
03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
:shades

Explain to me how that works.......

by replacing it with one of those cool VTEC cranks. ha ha ha, reading what I wrote I see how that woul dbe quite a challenge. What I was getting it was I was wondering if the 1st Gen crank would work with the second Gen motor.

jbiscuit
03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
No, BS removal is something completely different. Yes the correct way is to put in a 1G 6 bolt engine..

right, I understand. I think that is what Jim (Pig Pen) was thinking though.....

Junky Giorgio
03-14-2005, 02:52 PM

ahh yes that is correct williams.. i'm liking mine :wooo

GRNDNL
03-14-2005, 03:23 PM
by replacing it with one of those cool VTEC cranks. ha ha ha, reading what I wrote I see how that woul dbe quite a challenge. What I was getting it was I was wondering if the 1st Gen crank would work with the second Gen motor.

Is it just a thrust bearing that goes out or did Mits have some kind of better idea?.... The Buicks have the same problem when you sit on the convertor to long...

Pig Pen
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Sorry, I misspoke and was uninformed. I shall seek all DSM related question here. On that note, anyone know where I can get a turbo swap done?

Al
03-14-2005, 05:01 PM
I can only think of one reason that could cause crank-walk (other than s****y engineering):

Is the first gear to which the output shaft is connected to a straight-cut gear or an angle cut gear?

The reason I am bringing this up is that an angle-cut gear will put lateral pressure on the shaft. This pressure could easily wear out bushings and bearings over time.

An alternative to angle-cut gears that do not make noise as the straight-cut gears do are herring-bone gears. Unfortuneately, they require $$$.

DFJ6000
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
does anyone have an engine for a 95 talon? my buddy just bought one and found out the block is craked......turbo engine wood be sweet but not essential, just lookin to get the car back on the road.

RedGSX
03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
A complete engine? 7bolt I take it? Something to tell him, think about putting a 6 bolt in there now since your pulling the old one out, would be a smart thing to do. PM JunkGSX, I believe he might has a 6 bolt. Otherwise he might see this post.

Also for all you still wondering about the details about the DSM "crankwalk" here is an in deph write up on the theory. From measuring to find it to the crank itself
http://dsm.aenewton.com/crankwalktheory.htm :wooo

DFJ6000
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
thanks a lot, and yes a complete engine......dam that was a crazy ass article i liked that