PDA

View Full Version : Idea in my head for a turbo blower

TransAm12sec
03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I was wondering, has anyone ever had a centrifugal blower, assisted by the exhaust? It’s a supercharger and turbo in one.

Crawlin
03-11-2005, 02:10 PM
wouldn't work. it'd either be a supercharger or a turbocharger. atleast in my opinion it wouldn't work. reason being....

the exhaust gas is used to spin the turbine in a turbo charger. well, if part of that turbine is being connected to the crank pulley, the impeller can only spin so fast as it's limited by how fast the engine is turning. now is there a point in which the exhaust velocity could overpower the crank and turn it faster thus creating a faster acceleration? possibly, but i doubt it would be at any useable rpm and that exhaust velocity would have to be pretty insane

fireboverd
03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
What about a turbo fed into a blower? too much boost?...too much lag?..too much fun?

Prince Valiant
03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
As chris stated, it wouldn't do a thing. The centrifugal wouldn't turn any faster as it is fixed to the crank through the belt. All the gases could do would be reduce the parasitic drag of the blower....but then you'd be loosing FAR more HP having the exhaust try and help spin a impeller that is fixed to the engine vs being effeciently exited through a well designed exhaust system. You'd gain about 0.25hp from reduction of parasitic losses of the blower, but lose about 50hp from an ineffecient exhaust system.

What about a turbo fed into a blower? too much boost?...too much lag?..too much fun? Been done...many times. More for show and "gee whiz" than performance...

Crawlin
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
now the question is.....

could you build the impeller system to be built so that at low RPM's it's getting driven off the crank and then as soon as the exhaust gas pushes the impeller at a faster speed it spins faster than the "shaft" it's riding on? i guess almost like a torque converter type effect. the motor is spinning faster than the the driveline is until it finally catches up? so you get no lag on the bottom end and still get the high boost ability? the only problem i would see would be when the impeller is slowing down and finally gets to the point of speed that the shaft is spinning, that sudden "click" like when a clutch disc mates up with the flywheel on a 6500rpm drop :)

Chris

SLOWC5
03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
like an AC clutch on the AC compressor, it turns on and off when the AC is activated and deactivated?

Is there really a reason to be thinking about this when you have efficient turbo's and centrifugal blowers? Big turbos are usually shot with Nitrous to reduce the boost lag. So is there a point to creating a "new" system?

JEFF

Rocket Power
03-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I have heard some rally cars run a smaller turbo into a bigger one to cut lag

lotsals1
03-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Just for kicks on this thread --you could use the boost from the sc to spin the turbo --im not sure how much an average v8 has for exhaust psi--but if it isnt that much then in it could work --but you could run the sc at 22 or more psi --its corny but it would work to some extent--it would matter on what trim you ran on the turbo . if it did work it would be nice cool air --
there are plenty of turbines that will spin up fast- but who knows

Cryptic
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I have heard some rally cars run a smaller turbo into a bigger one to cut lag

*cough* rx7

GTSLOW
03-12-2005, 12:02 AM
What about a turbo fed into a blower? too much boost?...too much lag?..too much fun?

Thats how it is on 8x8's in the army.

Been done...many times. More for show and "gee whiz" than performance...

Well the 1600lb ft of tq are coming from somewhere. ;)

Prince Valiant
03-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Well the 1600lb ft of tq are coming from somewhere. ;) Oh, no doubt that some crummy detroit deisels really do need it...but....when you see a car at the car show with it.....

GTSLOW
03-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Oh, no doubt that some crummy detroit deisels really do need it...but....when you see a car at the car show with it.....

LOL yes I agree 110% :D :D :D