PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell don't we.......

Flight_740
03-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Have any turbo F-bodys around here?

Or do we??? :confused

SloFarmTruck
03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
this is CrawlinZ

there is a guy up in sheboygan that has a twin turbo LT1 car. as for locally, you just really have to look at the number of f-bodies around here first of all. not a TON of them. and on top of that, not a ton of MODDED ones. also look at the age bracket that most of us are in. to turbo a 4th gen f-body, is very expensive. not alot of people have the fab skills to do it custom, so they are left with a kit. and the kits complete are $7g's give or take some. most of the f-bodies around here still cost that much PLUS and people need them as their daily driver. the cost vs. return is not as great as a simple nitrous kit on a stock motor. especially since a s/c kit is only abour 4-5g's. there are rumors of one being built. primarily drag car setup, but who knows if it's true

:D

lotsals1
03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Have any turbo F-bodys around here?

Or do we??? :confusedhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c/uptosomething.gif The problem is the companies that make parts for ls1's rape us on parts--the same part for a lt1 is 45% cheaper
I'm stocking up on parts - for doing it someday --but if i do it it's go big or not at all--i wanna pay the car off first then i have all kinda of money to get stuff--but a bigbore and nitrous is the easier route --the sc setups for ls1 suck ass not one makes decent power imo vs the cost -sc's are easy to install but if you wanna go fast dont buy one. I would like to do a big r-trim someday soon :headbang

ponyride00
03-06-2005, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=lotsals1]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c/uptosomething.gif The problem is the companies that make parts for ls1's rape us on parts--the same part for a lt1 is 45% cheaper

Welcome to my world. 4.6 mustang parts are the same way compared to 5.0 parts.

Syclone0044
03-06-2005, 11:16 PM
There aren't a lot of turbo anything, anywhere. (excluding factory turbocharged vehicles.).

It's expensive, and not a lot of people know a lot about it. It's like the polar opposite of a carb'ed N/A small block. Its probably the most complicated setup you could do to your car. You need additional oil feeds (and coolant feeds) and returns, completely different intake and exhaust routing (that includes turbo headers which are virtually nonexistent unless you go custom). Plus you need a fuel management system that can handle boost (almost nothing factory can; and cobbling together an external FMU is a crude bandaid at best.). Ever looked at the price of a F.A.S.T. or DFI ECU? $2000+.

Not to mention your drivetrain will take a huge toll from the mega torque; count on doing a rear end and tranny for sure. Even if someone did it, their stock motor bottom end would not last very long; so factor in a forged bottom end rebuild (certainly not cheap). Especially considering the LS1 is 10.1:1 compression and the LT1 10.5:1.

Add those things together plus I'm sure a few more I forgot; and you have your answer.

The way I see it; it's cheaper, easier, and you can get results "almost" as good, with a Nitrous or supercharged setup. Not a lot of people will have the motivation left to do a turbocharged setup after comparing those other appealing options...

TransAm12sec
03-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I forgot the website, but the rear mount turbos are somewhat new. They do have disadvantages, but with the price and performance, you may begin to see a few.

USMARINE1108
03-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I forgot the website, but the rear mount turbos are somewhat new. They do have disadvantages, but with the price and performance, you may begin to see a few.

It's called the STS Turbo, it mounts where your muffler would be. The pipe runs up to the intake (the trip cools it, so there is no need for an intercooler). They make plenty of power, but it takes so long to build up the pressure. Lot's of turbo lag.

TransAm12sec
03-07-2005, 12:47 AM
The one good thing could be more traction. I remember reading somewhere it doesn't take long to spool up.

fireguyrick
03-07-2005, 01:15 AM
I have trouble believing that it would be a quick spool with those rear mount turbos. I have driven in WRX/STi's with FMIC's and the lag difference is noticable when compared to a similiar setup with a larger TMIC......and the distance for the piping in a rear mount turbo setup can't be shorter than a FMIC set up.....

Rick

xsbc63x
03-07-2005, 01:38 AM
sts kits dont take long to spool

lotsals1
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I forgot the website, but the rear mount turbos are somewhat new. They do have disadvantages, but with the price and performance, you may begin to see a few.They kinda suck also 470rwhp outa them for over 4 k ick --thats only 30 more than i have now --hell i could shoot a 50 shot an surpass that setup -and the turbos in those kits suck and are tiny--min-t88 imo for a single turbo imo

turbogarrett
03-07-2005, 08:08 PM
If someone is in the market to turbo their ls1 contact Jon Pham http://www.phamspeed.com/ . I believe his single turbo kit will be under 4000 and he does quality work.

Crawlin
03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
that's just for the hotparts and some other stuff, no charge side pipes that would require custom fabbing. good stuff though and you can customize it anyway you wanted. that's the plus side about that kit. nice guys to talk to as well