PDA

View Full Version : Workin out...

animal
03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Just figured I'd change up subjects for once. Anyone here been workin out all winter inbetween all your wrenching and car talk?

I was a full-ride scholarship competitive swimmer(yes I know, let the comments go, I've heard em all ;) ) in college and I picked up doing that again this last may. It's been really tough getting back in shape though after just letting my physique go to hell for about 5 years hehe. Finally making some progress though... 35lbs and 4 waist sizes... and I don't feel like such a lazy bum all the time anymore.

Anyone else? Or is all this non-wrenchhead talk falling on deaf ears :D

Cjburn
03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
For the last 2 plus months I've been doing Muay-Thai at a local gym. I've lost almost the exact amount of weight, 35 lbs and 4 pant sizes. I've also completely changed my eating habits. 3 times a week 1 1/2 hours each class. I'd be much more confident in a fight now, plus I love doing the ****...

DFJ6000
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
hell yeah, i work out atleast 2 times a week if not more, im lazy, but i go to cardinal fitness on layton

95Rammer
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey i use to be a big gym rat with a bench of 340 a squat of 500 and a deadlift of 500 as a sophomore in high school.Then i slipped a disk in football last year and stoped lifting for 8 months and now i have been lifting for 2 months or so. i want to lose about 30lb to get back in shape i dont know how thats going to turn out.

Cryptic
03-03-2005, 08:42 PM
3 to 4 times per week at Motions.

5 mile run on the treadmill (37 mins). I use treadmills only in winter time.
Stretch for about 10-15 mins.
20 mins of situps, leg lifts, ab stuff etc

Then hit the weights for about 1hr to 1.5hrs, depending if I gotta be somewhere or if it took me forever to get out of bed.

In High school i was a Wrestler and Cross-Country/track runner and in the Navy I was a PT coordinator. So I've always been pretty active.

I'm trying to more attention to the weight lifting. I raised my bench 40lbs for sets in the past 2 months :banana I'm really happy about that, cuz the bench has always been something I avoided in the past, cuz I sucked at it.

VroomPshhTsi
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
We should get info like height, weight, etc. I'm a small guy so I'm tired of hearing of fat@$$es benching 300 but weighing about 400 (seriously no offense to anyone, just saying). I think it's important to have muscle and good cardiovascular health. I'm a soph. in college, I played 4 years of high school basketball, wasn't anything special, just average (started half the games senior year, meh). Below is some of my info.

5'10" 145 lbs.
Usually bench 165 lbs. x 10 reps (I don't max out)
Squat about 270 lbs. roughly 8/9 times
1 Mile run in 5:30

Also the usual abs, stretching, etc. I average about 3 or 4 workouts a week; in my basement where i can blast the music and not worry about those huge arm guys that can't even wipe their own @$$ :rolf

Random question: are there any dsm drivers in new berlin?

Silver350
03-03-2005, 09:16 PM
The only thing I do is shoulder excercises to get my motion back in my shoulder. Once I am all healed I will go back to the weight room and work out some to get ready to play volleyball when I am able.

Anakonda69
03-03-2005, 09:16 PM
i take offense to the fatasses benching alot i weigh 298 and can bench roughly 300 or better.....don't really squat....i don;t lift all that much cuz i lift alot where i work...i carry aluminum around all day long so when i go to the gym i do cardio work...i go to bally's whichever one i am closest too....mainly the one on hawley road but now i moved to new berlin so prolly more brookfield..

Cryptic
03-03-2005, 11:11 PM
We should get info like height, weight, etc.

6' 165 lbs.
Bench 135 lbs. x 10 reps X 3 sets (I don't max out)
Squat - dont bother I distance run
1 Mile run in high 5's low 6's
5 mile run around 27 to 38 mins

DFJ6000
03-03-2005, 11:52 PM
19 yerrs young
5' 11'' 195lbs

dont bench too much i just use machines, and machine weight is different than free weight.

135 curling machine

245 back machine

190 triceps

155 abs

125 rowing

175 butterfly

im workin my way to more weight what what...

animal
03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Man do I feel like a fatass hehe...

6'2" 249lbs currently
6'7" armspan :D (wierd hey?)

I haven't lifted in about 5 years but I swim about 4 miles in two hours 3-5 times a week.

GTSLOW
03-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Well I work out every morning from 6-7 :(

Usually try to make it to the gym 3 times a week @ night. But the hmmwv's have been soaking the time up! :chair: :nutkick

Yooformula
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Old school gym rat here but once we had our first child I stopped cold turkey.

I am now 5'8" 220lb. I havent lifted seriously in almost 4 years but I will go through spurts in the gym but nothing major. Luckily I have retained a good portion of my strength.

Pig Pen
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Don't feel too bad Animal, I'm 5'11 with a 6'3 arm span, hence my nickname Chim, as in the lovable chimpanze.

I started lifting my Freshman year of HS for football. By my Senior year I weighted 175 with 6% body fat, benched 325, curled about 190, and squated about 400, and a cocktail of creatine and protien along with some other stuff.

Now I'm about 220, bench at 275, and curl maybe 150 and have no idea what I can squat now because of a MCL injury I had a few years ago. I started taking creatine, protien, and some other stuff to see if I can get over the hump I've been at for a few months. I work out at our PD 4 days a weeks for 2 hours, and love not having to sit around and wait for meat heads to get off a machine or clear a rack, let alone the self admiration they tend to do when ever a wall high mirror is present. I also have played in the IFL football league at fullback and linebacker since highschool and am looking for a team to get on, along with playing basketball 2 nights a week in a competitive rec. dept. league in the Falls.

theavenger333
03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I was a full-ride scholarship competitive swimmer(yes I know, let the comments go, I've heard em all ;) ) in college and I picked up doing that again this last may.
i will give ANYONE free dinner if they can talk **** about swimmers then beat us in the pool. i didn't have a ride in college, but i was a state qualifier in high school and would have gone on if i got a ride to anywhere other than the 2 D3 schools that offered me one way out in knowhere. isnt it funny though that people flame you for it? one of the best sports to getin overall shape... what did you swim animal btw.....

animal
03-04-2005, 03:37 PM
i will give ANYONE free dinner if they can talk **** about swimmers then beat us in the pool. i didn't have a ride in college, but i was a state qualifier in high school and would have gone on if i got a ride to anywhere other than the 2 D3 schools that offered me one way out in knowhere. isnt it funny though that people flame you for it? one of the best sports to getin overall shape... what did you swim animal btw.....

Sprints. I too was a state qualifier in H.S (took 6th D1). and took my fair share of crap for it, especially when it came time to shave down :)

As a matter of fact I still swim in competition, but only the 50 and 100 free so far (best college times :21.7 and :47.1 respectively)

With my current times, according to the ussswimming website I'm ranked 8th overall for all 26 year olds in the country and 55th for all aged 25 and over. Even shaved my head again :D

IWantAnMCss
03-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I haven't lifted since high school baseball and that was about 3.5 years ago. However I do run in the summer. I'm getting a membership from bally's to get back into shape b/c I am almost done with school and time to get a job as a police officer. I just applyed at the Falls PD so hopefully I here back from them.

theavenger333
03-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Sprints. I too was a state qualifier in H.S (took 6th D1). and took my fair share of crap for it, especially when it came time to shave down :)
As a matter of fact I still swim in competition, but only the 50 and 100 free so far (best college times :21.7 and :47.1 respectively)

sprinters are wussys. lol. i swam distance, but did all my qualifying in sprints for state. i missed in the 500 twice by one qualifying spot... :chair: my best sprints were a 22.9 and a 55.1, nothing too special but very competent for relays. havn't timed since high school. where'd you go to high school, what year

turbogarrett
03-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Now everybody wants to swim race on the interweb!

I like to work out and keep in shape, but am not an olympic athlete by any means. I haven't been able to work out lately, because a drunk driver decided to ram into my gf and I about a month ago :flipoff2: . Gotta go through therapy and stuff now. Hopefully I will be clear for Road America next month!

Yooformula
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Damm animal, you are one ugly mofo! :punch: :loser

Pig Pen
03-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I haven't lifted since high school baseball and that was about 3.5 years ago. However I do run in the summer. I'm getting a membership from bally's to get back into shape b/c I am almost done with school and time to get a job as a police officer. I just applyed at the Falls PD so hopefully I here back from them.

Good luck with that...Our hiring is b.s. if you ask me, not to mention the 6 police aides your going to have to beat out for the job and nearly 300 other people that applied for 3 jobs when we should be hiring for nearly 8. Where are you graduating from?

Nix
03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I use to workout until I really messed my back up hardcore. I now have 2 titanium rods,4 titanium screw, and 4 titanium cages in my back and in my lower spinal cord. So that kinda put a damper on anyhitng like that for a long long long while. Constant pain every day, some days are just worse or better than others, but it still sucks. MAybe someday I will be able to do the workout like I use to. I use to be able to actually bench 180!!! My god am I pathetic... 180, a mouse could do that! Now its probably 80!!! :goof

animal
03-05-2005, 12:14 AM
sprinters are wussys. lol. i swam distance, but did all my qualifying in sprints for state. i missed in the 500 twice by one qualifying spot... :chair: my best sprints were a 22.9 and a 55.1, nothing too special but very competent for relays. havn't timed since high school. where'd you go to high school, what year

South Milwaukee, 96.

How 'bout you? If you're in the area and same era I'm sure we know some of the same people :)

I can do distance too, but not quite as good. I went 5:02 once in the 500 mid season, 10:25 in the 1000, and 1:46 in the 200. Plus 52.9 100 fly heh.

animal
03-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Damm animal, you are one ugly mofo! :punch: :loser

Naw, I'm just not photogenic. I don't look nearly as pimp in my pics :goof

95Rammer
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
When i was stronger in better shape i was 5' 10" 220 with a armspand of 6'3". now i am 5'11" 240 with the same wing spand

Pig Pen
03-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Ha ha, your a freak of nature like me. I heard that your arm span should be as long as you are tall. I wish I was as tall as my arm span, would have made this basketball season a hell of alot better.

theavenger333
03-05-2005, 02:19 AM
South Milwaukee, 96.
How 'bout you? If you're in the area and same era I'm sure we know some of the same people :)
I can do distance too, but not quite as good. I went 5:02 once in the 500 mid season, 10:25 in the 1000, and 1:46 in the 200. Plus 52.9 100 fly heh.
ha, you are old. Shorewood, '02. but i swam with the folks you would have in club and such. my best 500 was under 5, i just don't remember what it was. i can't do jack else but a bit of backstroke.

animal
03-05-2005, 02:33 AM
ha, you are old. Shorewood, '02. but i swam with the folks you would have in club and such. my best 500 was under 5, i just don't remember what it was. i can't do jack else but a bit of backstroke.

SO did you swim with shorewood sc? I know westfahl and of course dave clark since I went to uw-m.

NoJoke83
03-05-2005, 10:32 AM
hell yeah!....ive been doing a new routine lately and have seen some great results....my bench moved up to 360lbs and ive gained 10 lbs in the past month in a half!! i have seen massive results on all of my lifts but- i feel like i have hit a plateau....damn!(mass 1000 protein shakes 3xday and universal gym animal pack 1xday) ....ok back to cars.........

IWantAnMCss
03-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Good luck with that...Our hiring is b.s. if you ask me, not to mention the 6 police aides your going to have to beat out for the job and nearly 300 other people that applied for 3 jobs when we should be hiring for nearly 8. Where are you graduating from?

I'm graduating from uwm hopefully by next semester so I started applying for jobs now. hopefully it does work out cause they pay alot better than milwaukee does.

theavenger333
03-05-2005, 02:41 PM
SO did you swim with shorewood sc? I know westfahl and of course dave clark since I went to uw-m.
of course, swam with and under both of them a good portion of my life. Clark is the man

Prince Valiant
03-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Ex simmer too....never developed the "swimmer's physique" as I only swam winters to keep conditioning for track and CC. I was a breastroker with a best of 1:05 in HS...sad to say, but that held the school record until the mid 90's. I swam most every event at one point or another with best of 23.x in the 50, 52.5 in the 100, 2:10 in the IM....very strong and quick enough to win in alot of duals and contend for medals at invites....but not fast enough for state.

I was a national qualifier in my only year of cc in college...a knee injury in basketball ended my collegiate running.

I still run b/w 3-5 miles daily and have a non-wt, strength training routine of push-ups, press-ups, pull-ups, ab work, back work.

I try and swim just to keep the juices flowing and arms in decent shape about 1-2 days a week...

I will also add biking to the mix as the weather improves...I've been biking for a couple of years in the summer 30 miles round trip to and from work....with a couple of 50 milers during the weekends. It only takes me about 15 minutes longer to bike vs drive to work...and if traffic is bad enough, I am somtimes quicker on the bike. Ive got a nice road bike though, and I want to try a triatholon sprint this summer.

Two days a week I also do foot-work drills for increased speed and jumping ability...my goal is to dunk a basketball again. I last did it after my first ACL reconstruction, but before the 2nd one when I was about 20 :(

I am 6'2" and 190lbs currently though....working to get down to the 175 region though which should help immensely with my distance running.

cj87gta
03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
6'5'' 260lbs..... i'm a soph in hs. i tore up the cartilage in my shoulder in fresh year football so i've been building it up and i'm gettin back into a normal routine here........

animal
03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Clark is the man

I swam with him this summer in the masters program, and I still keep in touch most of the time.

theavenger333
03-06-2005, 03:03 PM
i havn't really been in the pool since high school, which is about 3 years. i should get back in. havn't seen clark in awhile though, maybe i'll stop by and mooch some workout time

Pig Pen
03-06-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm graduating from uwm hopefully by next semester so I started applying for jobs now. hopefully it does work out cause they pay alot better than milwaukee does.

Check out www.wilenet.org for job postings too. I've been applying online to Las Vegas and places in Arizona, I've had enough of Wisconsin

On the lifting topic, anyone know about Bricker Labs products? My cousin is a sales rep for them and he speaks highly of thier product. I'm not too convinced about some of thier stuff, just wanted to hear if anyone else had feed back on them.

Al
03-07-2005, 01:43 AM
I was at my beefiest point when I was sealcoating driveways two years ago. But since then, I am probably about 5 lbs lighter now than I was then.

High metabolism combined with low GH levels will do that to you.