PDA

View Full Version : Talk about raising the driving age

TransAm12sec
03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Any thoughts?

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050302072509990030&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Rocket Power
03-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Can't say it's the worst thing I have ever heard. Bump it up to 17 or 18

theavenger333
03-02-2005, 10:53 PM
honestly if anything i would put a cap on driving age, on the top end. with the new rules with the probationary status, new drivers can't drive with their friends anyway, and if they are driving badly on their own they shouldn't have ever gotten the liscense. i see WAY more problems with old people driving who should definatly not be. that or make testing more strict.

SlowStee
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
i see WAY more problems with old people driving who should definatly not be. that or make testing more strict.
aint that the f'in truth...

TransAm12sec
03-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I wonder what the worst case senario is, a young, old, or cell phone driver.

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

SLOWC5
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
How bout a woman driving and talking on a cell phone :chair:

JEFF

ponyride00
03-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Old people that drive 30mph on HWY 100. :flipoff2:

SlowStee
03-03-2005, 03:30 AM

JEFF
god knows they cant do that :rolf

Max 93
03-03-2005, 07:12 AM
honestly if anything i would put a cap on driving age, on the top end. i see WAY more problems with old people driving who should definatly not be.
I agree, I have had a lot more close calls with old people than young ones. I had an old man almost change lanes right into the side of my van last week, I had to change lanes in order to not get hit. I ended up following him for a few more miles and saw him cut off 3 more people.

animal
03-03-2005, 07:53 AM
I've been saying for years that everyone should have to pass a road test every 5 years from age 20-60 and every year after 60. Driving tests should also include things like freeway driving, reaction times, turning speeds, and actual road awareness.

SMS 1
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM

JEFF
That's exactly why our truck is toast and my neck hurts now.

How about nothing but ford Festiva 3cyl for people under 18 :durr

animal
03-03-2005, 01:45 PM
ford Festiva 3cyl

Actually weren't those 4's?

I know some of the geo crap-tro's were 3cyl.

BAD LS1
03-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Nope... i remeber an add on the back of a magazine in the library in middle school for the festiva...

Big letters accross the top of the page WE MAKE 3 DO THE WORK OF 4 and went on to talk about the surpisingly SPRITELY performance and 40+ MPG :rolf

Then geo/suzuki copied the festiva i think on the 3cyl idea

I know the metro came with a 4 cylinder option :rolf :rolf

88camaro
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
I think there should be a driving test or something for the older population but it will never happen just look at the age of the congress people. Plus baby boomers are getting to the age of 50 to 60. The cells phone thing I totally agree that there should be some type of law.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/ncsa/tsf2000/2000oldpop.pdf

Pig Pen
03-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I've been saying for years that everyone should have to pass a road test every 5 years from age 20-60 and every year after 60. Driving tests should also include things like freeway driving, reaction times, turning speeds, and actual road awareness.
Agreed. I've seen alot of accident's by stupid people. But I don't know how many I've seen also by the "seasoned" driver, including driving behind a 71 year old male on US41 when his car began shooting flames from under the car. Hit the lights on the guy and he doesn't pull over, turn on the siren, doesn't turn over, all the while I'm calling this into our dispatcher who was wondering why this guy refused to pull over. Finally, only after getting infront of him and forcing him to slow down and pull over to the median wall of all the great places. I parked the squad probably 100 feet away from his car, nearly ready to burst and he's not out of the car yet. I opened the door and had to physically remove him from his car, and he said he didn't notice the smoke in the cabin because he was smoking a cigar and thought it was from that. About half way to my squad he starts tugging to go back to his car, which was very much on fire, because he wanted to grab his pipe and tobacco! The short of the story, old people suck at driving.

88camaro
03-03-2005, 02:09 PM
About half way to my squad he starts tugging to go back to his car, which was very much on fire, because he wanted to grab his pipe and tobacco!

I guess his pipe and tobacco was far more important then his life. :eek:

animal
03-03-2005, 02:26 PM
pipe and tobacco

Or was it his pipe and "tobacco" ;)

But really A story like that makes you wonder how the hell the guy functions from day to day.

Pig Pen
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
The car was also one just recently purchased through one of the donation car lot deals, one thats down town.

BAD LS1
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
The car was also one just recently purchased through one of the donation car lot deals, one thats down town.

Was it anything like planes,trains and automobiles?? :rolf

Just sitting along side of the road laughing your ass off at this guy and his burning car? :goof

How did his pipe and tobbaco fend by the time the FD came? :rolf

animal
03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Was it anything like planes,trains and automobiles?? :rolf

Maybe he was singing "the mess around" at the time :headbang

Pig Pen
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I wish I was laughing at him, but smart me decided to take a stroll down the freeway about 20 minutes before shift change to kill another 10 minutes and roll up behind a guy going 35 in a 65, got on his as.s and thought I'd beable to get him to speed up so he wasn't a hazard to traffic like he was, then I noticed little specks of orange flickering from behind the car, then a whole as.s load of flamage, then from there is where the rest of the story goes... Needless to say, I was p.o.ed, I had somewhere to be at 3:30 and this donkey's car starts on fire. My Sgt. showed up before fire was there and he goes and grabs his fire ex. from his car and asked me why I wasn't trying to control the fire untill FD got there, then he passed my car and said, "Oh...I guess we'll just wait for them or for that thing to blow up when the fire eats through the gas tank..." Yeah, thats what I was thinking there!

BAD LS1
03-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Thats funny! Was there some ray charles blarring when you pulled his old wrinkly ass from the chariot that was buring like a tinderbox??

I would have done the same thing, why waste my fire extinguisher on this pile, its funnier to watch it burn :rolf

What kinda hot rod was it? where can i look for the charred spot along side of the road?