PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? #3 . . .

SMS 1
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
OK so far we know that my wife's 95 S10 is done (not going to fix it, sell it or trade as is) and now the Jimmy (pending a final estimate) is assumed to be totalled.

Soooo, we are in the market for a 96 and newer Blazer/Jimmy. Specifically 4dr 4wd and really any color except green :D

My question . . .

Assuming the options (respective of thier year anyway) and general price are about the same would you rather opt for . . .

An older model say 1996 with about 82,000 miles on it

OR,

Newer model say 2002 with about 120,000 miles?

Maint. records are also similar . . .

Do you assume that freeway miles and newer design is better (possibly last longer) or lower miles but older design?

I have actually found two vehicles to fit this general profile and are both priced between $5-6.5K before price haggling and/or any possible trade. This really is all I will have to deal with for the budget in the end and this is the one HUGE question that I need to decide on really. Otherwise the market in this range is all high miles on pretty much every year/model to be found.

:flamesuiton: :flamet

Thoughts?

DirtyMax
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
If the price is right, alot of miles (like that 2002 example) in a short amount of time doesn't concerns me too terribly because it's obvious most of it is freeway travel. This is provided that it looks like they at least took the time to maintain it. 120k on the factory oil and air filter would cause a guy like me to run like hell.

Nix
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
In this situation I would opt for the older model, they are pretty dang nice, the thing that you have to consider is that if the 02 has that many miles on it the person that previously owned it did all that freeway driving and if its the go,go,go, kinda person that most likley was a busy business person of some sorts than they probably didnt do the normal maintnace on it on time and the wear and tear on it has to be terrible. You know the type of person (oh its 2grand past the oil change date and mileage, oh well I'll do it later I have to go to Starbucks to get my mocha capuacchino?<-spelling?) its just form my experience those kinds of people usually could care less just as long as the car got them from point A to point B. I hope I explained that properly. But you would probably be better off with the few years older than the newer with a butt load of miles. BTW, have you ever checked out Car King, they are actually really good with prices and such and yeah they are a side lot but they only buy and sell good vehicles. I know numerous people that have bought cars there and had no problems at all, including myself. I hope this helps, Nick :thumbsup

DirtyMax
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Another thing I thought of and I don't know if it's as common with the newer ones, but I know in the late 90's those 4.3's has some EFI module or something that seemed to always go bad. Again, I am no expert on these motors but it was some part that involved ripping the whole top half of the motor apart. Could be another factor in your decision.

sriddccrocks
03-01-2005, 08:25 PM
the 94-95 vortec 4.3s have a tendency to throw rods, and the newer 4.3s like in the 99s i know have oil line leakage problems

xsbc63x
03-01-2005, 10:03 PM

SMS 1
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
hey mike i say you just get that z06 you wanted. cmon you could talk her into it becides its almost that time!!! i could get you a honda beater for 500$ for a daily driver

You talkin to me? I think you mean SSmike, he was the one looking at the ZO6's.

Oil lines are not a problem as far as I am concerned. I've replaced enough of those in the last 10 years to do it in my sleep. You guys might be forgetting about the injector/fuel system probs the older ones were plagued with though.

Besides that I am kinda thinking, you know a newer model has not seen as much salt as an older one has. Paint is better now than the earlier ones. The rubber hasn't had as much time to start drying out, little stuff like that.

Where is BADLS1SS on this one? Tom you out there? :stare I assume the newer Vortec's have fixed some of the pesky fuel probs by now?

Flight_740
03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Another thing I thought of and I don't know if it's as common with the newer ones, but I know in the late 90's those 4.3's has some EFI module or something that seemed to always go bad. Again, I am no expert on these motors but it was some part that involved ripping the whole top half of the motor apart. Could be another factor in your decision.

Spider injection goes. About a $350 part. It's a toss up though. 120k highway miles are better than 85k city miles. Just my thought.

DirtyMax
03-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Spider injection goes.

That's what it's called! :thumbsup

I have helped my friend change it out on his parents' truck TWICE.

SMS 1
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Spider injection

Ya just didn't really feel like typin yesterday I guess (then I go on for another 3 paragraphs anyway :goof ) In the shops we always used to call'em hexapussy valves :durr

120k highway miles are better than 85k city miles. Just my thought

That's also sorta what I've been thinkin. Besides that, if we do need to replace something substantial on it I would feel a whole lot better about dumping money into something that is only a couple of years old as opposed to something twice the age. Could be the new drugs I'm on though :stare