PDA

View Full Version : Noobie

dr_hunt
02-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Hello,

Noobie to your forum. I own a '85 Monte SS that I race, but is a fully complete street car. It has a 406, Dart block, eagle crank, eagle 6 inch rods, Lunati 14:1's, AFR 220 heads, Comp roller, all roller valve train, Victor E, C&S alcohol billet, MSD7AL2, TH400, 4000 stall, Moser 9 inch ford, SSM bars (upper and lower), 4 wheel disc's, 4.11 gears, detroit locker, 31 spline axles. PS, PB, AC, cruise, tilt and of course Alpine tunes. Run 245/60/15's on the front and 26x13x15 M&H Racemasters in the back all on Weld prostars. I notched the rear frame for tire clearance, all fits inside the fenderwells.

Has beautiful "spectraflair" flames over caddy white pearl with a blue base. Flames are over clear. Cowl induction hood. Other than that, pretty stock, yeah right.

In Alb. at 7000 foot density air has run a best of 11.73 @ 115mph, 1.54 60 foot times. Has traction problems at the line, considering going to Powerglide. If it would hook good, I think it would run 11.50's at altitude.

Memphis
02-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a nice ride...post some pictures!!

PB86MCSS
02-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Welcome aboard, sounds like a very nice MCSS.

How did you hear or see about this board? I see you are in New Mexico...my sister lives in Santa Fe and my 87' LS is from there, got it a few years ago.

dr_hunt
02-26-2005, 09:36 PM
There was a link on the hybrid z forum. I have a monte SS as well as my boys z. I have always wanted an SS since they came out back in the 80's. I owed an '84 but it got stolen, so I bought an '85 back in '93, which I still have today, took 10 years to build. People tried to steal it 3 times, so I don't drive it on the street anymore as a daily driver, so I made it into a drag car, installed 8 point cage and all, but it still has full interior except for the back seat. I run both cars on alky, but can switch to gas in an instant. Mostly though I run alky, runs cooler, makes more power and smells oh so sweet at sonic.

I was going to keep it stock, since it only had 16K miles on it when I got it, but the 200R4 crapped out and a th400 went in, then came a rear gear change from 3.73 to 3.08's, then out went the 305 and in went a 9:1 406, then it went to the track and stayed there. 13.40's on BFG T/A's to start with and now it's down to 11.70's on motor only with slicks.

This summer I'm going to build a twin turbo motor for the monte and see what it'll take. I'm thinking 20-30psi boost, Alcohol EFI. Should be doable for around 900 to 1200HP depending on boost. :banana

Syclone0044
02-27-2005, 01:36 AM
I run both cars on alky, but can switch to gas in an instant. Mostly though I run alky, runs cooler, makes more power and smells oh so sweet at sonic. :stare Awesome!!!! How involved was the conversion?

This summer I'm going to build a twin turbo motor for the monte and see what it'll take. I'm thinking 20-30psi boost, Alcohol EFI. Should be doable for around 900 to 1200HP depending on boost. :banana
Right on dude! With alcohol you ought to be able to run at least that boost! You're my new hero :rockwoot:

dr_hunt
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
When I first built the monte I had the stock gas tank and a 9:1, KB hypers, 406 sbc, 5.7 C&A rods, with an isky .510 lift hydraulic cam, th400 with a tci 3500 stall and 3.08 gears in the stock 7-5/8 rear with an auburn 3 series posi. Whooped rice bootie and broke ponies all over town, ran out of comp, so I took it to the track in Roswell and it ran 12.58 @104 (slicks) at 3700 feet elevation on alky and 13.44 @100 (BFG T/A's) on gas (spinning through first). I modified it with a piece of 5/8" copper line for a pick up tube through the stock removable piece on the top of the tank, just soldered it in there and flared it to go to AN. From that I ran a -10 braided line to a Holley black pump and to a big holley billet alcohol regulator and then to an alky 845 cfm carb that I bought on ebay. Got ripped on the carb, but that's a different story.

Some of the guys there in Roswell were running roller cams and high compression and only turning 12's in lighter cars than mine, mine weighs 3800 with me in it, so I stepped on the motor alittle more.... Got a dart block, steel 3.75 stroke crank, Eagle 6 inch rods, Lunati 14:1's, AFR 220 heads, comp .630 solid roller 260/274 @.050 104LSA, then I bought a Moser 9 inch and SSM bars (upper and lower) for fear the stock rear wouldn't hold up. I felt like the old motor still had some more, but after learning the alky tricks it was evident that the holley black pump and EBAY carb were junk, so I upgraded those.

Now it has a 12 gallon cell in the trunk and I run an aeromotive A2000 pump, cause the holley black pumps are junk, runs through the same -10 line up to the carb. I ended up buying a C&S aerosol billet 900 cfm alky carb and throttle bypass. The bypass comes back with a -10 return line to the cell. The pump also has it's own -8 return line to the cell.

I haven't been to roswell yet, maybe this year, but in Alb, which is 5300 feet and density air is rarely below 7000 feet, it runs pretty consistent 11.70's @ 115 mph with 1.58 -1.64 60' times depending on if it hooks or not. The right lane in Alb sucks and it'll usually run 11.85 in the right lane. I've got a 9 inch moser rear with 4.11's and am running the M&H 26x13x15 slicks. I think in Roswell, it should do low 11's and if I could get to Houston, it'd run high 10's.

Alky conversion is simple, buy an alcohol compatible regulator, pump and carb. If you have a fuel cell, take the foam out, alky eats it up. Bolt on, go have fun. When you are done, drain tank, blow lines, remove carb, drain, pull fuel bowls, blow with air, spray penetrating oil and reassemble. Ready to go again. If you want to go gas, then add gas carb, bolt up, fill with gas and go. The changeover is easy if it is set up for alky. With alky you can go to gas in an instant. Takes me about 20 minutes to decomission the car after I run alky and of course if you run gas you don't have to do that.

On gas the engine runs 180 and I have a griffin 3 row aluminum race radiator 31.5x19x4 which is about as big as they make. On alky it won't get over 140 as I don't run a thermostat. You'll hear guys say you got to run them hot, like 230 or so on alky and you'll hear you have to have compression to run alky. All BS, you can run a stock briggs and stratton on alky. On low compression engines alky works great, will pick up 5 tenths. It's just that when the engine is cold and first started you have to prime it with gas to get it to initially fire, after that your good to go. Alky is $100/barrel, Race gas was $300/barrel, but here it went up to $400/barrel and alky is $110/barrel. You use twice as much alky but it's still cheaper.

Syclone0044
03-06-2005, 01:20 PM
:wooo :stare :wow Wow!! Best post I've read in months! :thumbsup

Nice post - six shooter and all.. Lucky I didn't get shot with that blast of information! :goof

Unfortunately I have a fuel injected (turbocharged) ride so I'm not sure how it would handle alcohol.. I actually run pump gas and then spray alcohol upon 10PSI boost, I am sure it does not count for more than 25% of the total fuel but I would like to correct that in the future :devil The system works well, it is not flawless and requires tuning but saves a ton of cash for this 10,000+mi/year street cruiser / drag / road racer.

Thanks again for the useful post!!

dr_hunt
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm wanting to do the EFI route myself, unnaturally aspirated as well on alky. Accel makes injectors that are alky compatible, low impedence up to about 160lb/hr which should be good for about 1000HP on boost. If that ain't enough then we'll just put a fire hose in the intake and pump alky into it.