PDA

View Full Version : I'm a proud new owner of a GTP

ACRturbo
02-19-2005, 10:16 AM
just took delivery on friday night. Wow this thing hauls... way better than boosting my neon. I got my 3.4 pulley already on order! Then getting intake and then u bend deleted @ my buddies shop.

mattGT95
02-19-2005, 10:53 AM
get some autolite 605's or 104's (one or two heat ranges colder), a 180* t-stat, and a CAI.

have someone scan it too once you get the pully on. watch out for KR.

A B4C Z
02-19-2005, 12:35 PM
AUTOLITES!!!!???? Is that whats good in those? Ive had nothing but shitty running cars with those.

awsomeears
02-19-2005, 12:44 PM
just took delivery on friday night. Wow this thing hauls... way better than boosting my neon. I got my 3.4 pulley already on order! Then getting intake and then u bend deleted @ my buddies shop.

At least you didnt buy a civic, even tho neons are my car of choice GTP are PIMP :headbang

what you doing with the neon now :( :alcoholic :( :alcoholic :durr

ACRturbo
02-19-2005, 04:14 PM
get some autolite 605's or 104's (one or two heat ranges colder), a 180* t-stat, and a CAI.

have someone scan it too once you get the pully on. watch out for KR.

what the hell is KR?

theavenger333
02-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Autolites are run in nascar, so i don't know whats wrong with those. as for the GTP, KR is knock retard, if you put that 3.4 and the ubend on, and thats it, you will detonate your motor pretty quick. i suggest going to clubgp.com or to wicgp.com first lesson, SEARCH FOR INFORMATION

Pantera99GS
02-19-2005, 06:50 PM
what the hell is KR?

Knock Retard- you lose timing and therefore power.

Clubgp will have all the info you can ask for, if you can get through all the drama queens on there. A great local board is wicgp.com. And a good person to ask for info is Jeff- AKA SlowC5 on here. He knows his stuff with these motors.

ACRturbo
02-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I know what knock retard is, i know not to lean out the motor and risk detonation, thanks for the recommendations :thumbsup

mattGT95
02-20-2005, 03:43 AM
I know what knock retard is, i know not to lean out the motor and risk detonation, thanks for the recommendations :thumbsup

good, just remember to add fuel when you add air. some magazines claim you can just add a 3.4 and be okay. from what I've been reading about, its not a good idea and i'm trying desperately to convince my friend of that.

ACRturbo
02-20-2005, 10:57 AM
yeas i definetely know to add more fuel! I am a newB to GTP's but I am a fast learner. I got the 3.4 pulley and 180* t stat ordered, and the car came w/ a k&n. Next thing i will pick up this week are the autolite 104 plugs but my question is what parts store carries them? thansk guys for the help

theavenger333
02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
autolite 104s are a common plug. any store, i got mine from ffleet farm, lol. like i said before, then panteraGS repeated, hit up wicgp.com

Cryptic
02-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I've had a GTP for 4 years now. I still remember that first time stopping on the gas. If you got any questions.. I'm sure I can answer them too. I've done all the reading

ACRturbo
02-20-2005, 04:40 PM
ok so next weekend these parts are going on the car:

3.4 pulley
Autolite 104 plugs
180* t stat

car has a k&n on it... i shouldn't experience too much knock with this setup right?

theavenger333
02-20-2005, 04:50 PM
in theory, some cars come factory with 3-4 degrees of KR. some don't at have any at all. only way to know is to get the car scanned. my car was running 2-3 degrees stock KR. i put the pulley on with the plugs (gap at .55 btw) 160 T-Stat, Ubend and a fenderwell intake and i have 1-2 degrees only after shifts, which is about normal. there have bee a few members who ran 5-8 degrees stock, which is like a grenade. like i said before, come onto wicgp.com, there are guys who will scan your car prob for a very minimal fee if not free. as for this K&N you talking about a drop in filter? thats fine, but the best setup for the buck is a fender well intake (FWI). again, head to wicgp. other sites that are very helpful are 3800performance.com, zzperformance.com, zzp will show you many different combos on what you can do to safely build your motor. also, with that pulley, get a Gatorback 660. or an oversized tensioner.

JC70SS
02-20-2005, 07:42 PM
what year?? :pics

ACRturbo
02-20-2005, 09:12 PM
what year?? :pics

why? have you ever seen a blown 3800 before?

Neal Steffek
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Just a heads up, it is perfectly safe to run a 3.4 with nothing else. (though it helps with supporting mods.) You will not "blow up your motor" running a 3.4.

mattGT95
02-21-2005, 02:25 AM
uhh.. well i'm going to run those supporting mods. KR is bad. it means the car did knock and the pcm pulled timing to prevent the grenade effect. plus, KR robs lots of power. if i can use supporting mods to prevent kr, i'll get the most from my 3.4

i just put in my pcm and a warm-air k&n setup (custom fwi is in the works), and i love the chicken grinder sound, and the whirring of the supercharger under boost :drool:

theavenger333
02-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Just a heads up, it is perfectly safe to run a 3.4 with nothing else. (though it helps with supporting mods.) You will not "blow up your motor" running a 3.4.
neal man, my car with a 3.4 and nothing else was running plenty of knock, over 4 degrees....... these cars are too finicky to not bother with 15 dollars in supporting mods

Neal Steffek
02-21-2005, 10:33 AM
neal man, my car with a 3.4 and nothing else was running plenty of knock, over 4 degrees....... these cars are too finicky to not bother with 15 dollars in supporting mods

I said it was safe, never said you wouldnt lose power. :durr
You will want to run 1.9 rockers and a down pipe also if you really want to have you GTP start flowing well.

Yamahachick02
02-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Dave remember after I put my 3.4 on I got major wheel hop. Go with a real cold air induction the supercharger sounds way better.

Brian98GTP
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Bahhh...

GTP's are over-rated.... :shades

Instead of modding the car with the M90... just invest in a Turbo Kit and be done with it.... :headbang

SLOWC5
02-21-2005, 05:22 PM
congrats on the car.

Knock retard on a GTP per degree of KR is only about 3HP So give or take a few is fine.

Next. 3-5 degrees of KR is not going to hurt anything other than a little performance. The Knock sensors on these cars are extremely sensitive. Alot of people are starting to wrap the sensor with dynamat to help reduce the false KR. 3-5 degrees of KR with just pull timing to around 10 degrees of advance. Is it the right way to mod, Of course not! But Like someone said earlier alot of GTP's with 3.8 pulleys have 3-5 degrees of KR. So if GM is willing to send a million cars out onto the road with KR. you should be fine FOR NOW with the 3-5 degrees.

I dont recommend driving a car or modding a car with the intention of being fine with 3-5 degrees KR, and I have never done so with any of my modding.

I look at it like this, If you can not afford to run without KR you shouldn't be installing the mod.

3.4 pulley minimum in my mind=
CAI, I choose a CAI over FWI cause of water and dirt. The CAI is a cleaner system. Plus its more appealing while looking under the hood, to see that box and cone and not some PVC going into a dirty fender. Has anyone taken a bumper off and seen all the gravel inside a GP fender?
DHP PCM, helps with the KR, Fueling, Timing recovery, Performance Shift mods :thumbsup
180-winter t-stat
160 summer t-stat
I run a 160 in winter without problems. The car wont be colder or take longer to warm up as its a thermostat. It warms up just as fast, just opens at 160 instead of 195
Autolite 104's gapped at .055-.058
AT LEAST a u-bend delete( preferrably a 3inch Downpipe)

With all of these mods, depending on the year of the car, the mileage, how well your tranny is holding up. Your KR value should be low 0-3, I'd be ok with that. But know in your mind that if you plan on going to a smaller pulley you'll need more mods.

3.25 pulley=
Everything above plus
Headers( TOG's I cant express that enough, LIFETIME warranty, Great quality, great coatings, Bigger headers=MORE FLOW)
1.9 Rockers ( increase lifts on intake and exhaust) Greatly helps in reducing KR.
Autolite 103's gapped at .055-.058

In the Summer this should be good for zero KR to maybe a couple 0-3KR depending on the car again. This should be good for I'd say 13.5's maybe faster depending on the car and the driver. I was able along with brent to take this mod list plus a 3.0 pulley, race gas, and DR's to 12.9. Will everyone be able to do this, NO! possible YES as both Brent and I both did it on the same day. Brent was able to run consistant 13.1-13.2's with this setup.

3.0 pulley=
Everything above PLUS
A CAM ( COMPCAMS Extreme energy cam ;)
Intercooler
Some sort of tuning device for that cam or IC

Currently my 98GTP is running around with this cam, plus TOG's Extreme headers, P&P heads with oversized valves, P&P Intake manifold, Polished SC. And alot of the stuff above. I'm running plus 20 degrees of advance with zero KR. I'd al

2.8 pulley=
Intercooler
maybe just a cam and stock timing
Alky Injection
LS1/NorthStar Throttle body
P&P Supercharger

I'll stop here. My 2002GTP ran a IC on rocker and headers, plus the supporting mods. I ran a 2.8 in the middle of summer with 24 degrees of advance on the street. I PBed at 12.487 with this. Hopefully this will help. If not I can delete it :goof

PS I'm not grammer or spell checking this post, too long :)

JEFF

theavenger333
02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
you are a nerd jeff :thumbsup

ACRturbo
02-21-2005, 08:46 PM
jeff, thanks a lot for the info, greatly appreciated. Like i said before i'm a newB to modding the gtp but i do know my stuff (i'm a tech @ holz). I'm trying to do everything in order to reduce the amount of KR, just a matter of having enough money, lol. if i need some help or have any questions i'll be sure to talk to ya.

Daytonapacecar959
02-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Congrats on getting a GTP.I have a 98 Daytona pace car.
My mod list-2.6 pulley,ZZP stage 4 blower,ZZP stage3 P&Ped cyl. heads,ZZP stage 2 intercooler,ZZP XPZ cam,ZZP trans with 3.69 gears and 3,000 stall TC,ZZP race PCM/ICCU,SLP headers(plan on getting TOG Xtreme headers)and a few other goodies.I plan on getting into the mid 11's this summer.You should join us when we go to GLD this spring just check WICGP when we plan on going :thumbsup

Cryptic
02-21-2005, 10:57 PM
My mod list-2.6 pulley,ZZP stage 4 blower,ZZP stage3 P&Ped cyl. heads,ZZP stage 2 intercooler,ZZP XPZ cam,ZZP trans with 3.69 gears and 3,000 stall TC,ZZP race PCM/ICCU,

when the hell you do all that Fred? :drool:

Daytonapacecar959
02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
when the hell you do all that Fred? :drool:
It was over at ZZP in November.

ACRturbo
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
My mod list-2.6 pulley,ZZP stage 4 blower,ZZP stage3 P&Ped cyl. heads,ZZP stage 2 intercooler,ZZP XPZ cam,ZZP trans with 3.69 gears and 3,000 stall TC,ZZP race PCM/ICCU,SLP headers(plan on getting TOG Xtreme headers)and a few other goodies.I plan on getting into the mid 11's this summer.You should join us when we go to GLD this spring just check WICGP when we plan on going :thumbsup

I'm definetely down for taking my car to the track, my goal is to hit mid to low 13's this summer.

Yamahachick02
02-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Good luck dave.

ACRturbo
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Good luck dave.

You don't have faith in me kristin?? lol, this weekend we will line em up again. It will be a better race than the last one ;)

SLOWC5
02-23-2005, 09:35 PM
can I race:)

JEFF

ACRturbo
02-24-2005, 01:18 PM
ha ha