PDA

View Full Version : Wreckless driving...

Scales
02-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Ok, these guys are just nuts!!!

Video (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/dangerousdriver.html)

Heat Seeker WS6
02-18-2005, 09:51 PM
What the hell are they thinking?

Lash
02-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah....pretty crazy!

IIRC...the camera is in an Audi S4

Jake B. (Killer Quad)
02-19-2005, 10:05 AM
:headbang woohoo makes me want to hop in the TA and head for Chicago!

One thing I can say about that FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! :wooo

GTSLOW
02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Look at that cars tho, isnt that the autobahn? Every couple months a video like this comes out of people driving like this on the autobahn.

Scales
02-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Even if it is, it don't make it sane driving!!!

Al
02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I am quite certain that that is not the autobahn.

The autobahn is closely monitored with video cameras with a full time crew ready to issue tickets (based on percentage of income and not a set amount!). On the autobahn, fast driving is only allowed on specific sections when traffic is below a certain level. If there are too many cars on the road, they turn on/off the sign which gives the OK for such driving.

Also, the autobahn is VERY strict about passing on the right. If you get passed on the right side, you get a ticket. "Slower traffic keep right." Just like Georgia (and hopefully WI soon!).

I was thinking that they should have a system like the autobahn here in the US where the speed limit can be adjusted under certain conditions. That strip between Milwaukee and Chitown is a perfect candidate.

Just imagine leaving for chicago on a saturday when the traffic is low and the speed limit has been adjusted to 85+ mph (minimum?!) in the fast lane. That makes for a fast trip! I remember making that trip years ago at a "fast" speed. It was a bit of a roulette act (tickets), but I tailed a bunch of drivers who had a bit more money than me. It was about 45 minutes, including the tolls, from the sign that says "Chicago, 76 miles" to downtown chitown. That was back when I had my prelude; smooth as ice at xxx mph.

Al
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Have a link for some autobahn info...

http://www.autobahn-online.de/index_e.html

Al
02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Just for those who wonder about roadkill, they constructed "green" dridges to prevent a 170 mph colission...

Heat Seeker WS6
02-19-2005, 11:31 PM
My daily drive to and from North Chicago averages 80-90 with traffic once in IL.

Al
02-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn#Speed_limits

It contains some simple rules and laws for the autobahn, especially the "slower traffic keep right" law.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that the speed limits are also based on the type of vehicle you are driving:

60 km/h for:
buses carrying standing passengers (except in Switzerland)
motorcycles pulling trailers (in Switzerland: 80 km/h)
80 km/h for:
vehicles with maximum allowed weight exceeding 3.5 t (except passenger cars)
passenger cars and trucks with trailers
buses (in Switzerland: 120 km/h)
100 km/h for:
passenger cars pulling trailers certified for 100 km/h
buses certified for 100 km/h not pulling trailers

My old man is still looking to buy a bimmer some day. He wanted the 645 at concours, but they were asking too much (with 10k on it). He also knows that it is waaaayyyyy cheaper to buy one there and have it shipped to our home than to buy one from a dealership around here.... this might mean a trip to Deutschland next summer (hope he takes me along (i speak german (a little (everyone else speaks french (what a waste of time (and energy!))))))..

y2kws6
02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
The only catch with the autobahn is that no one really obeys the laws. I have been on it many times and almost every road is minimuim 130 KPH, but I have personally done 230KPH for miles in limited traffic with no problems what so ever.

You are correct with the passing on the right. I did it once when someone did not mover over and I didn't think anything of it until they flipped me off and started calling me names in a language I don't understand.

They do limit the speeds over the bridges to prevent cars from being blown off them.

Dan

Rental cars racing :headbang