PDA

View Full Version : Modfest 2-22-05

y2kws6
02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Removing and Replacing my Transmission

Noon till finished
It will be a first so I am not sure how long it will take.

Oak Creek, WI 53154
Cell 414-305-6530

Heated Garage plus extra's :goof

Dan

Yooformula
02-18-2005, 08:49 PM
This is it ladies and gents! An ole skool modfest!

Meet the members, hang out and wrench on SOMEONE elses ride.:D

Dont be shy bishes, come out and meet everyone we wont bite. We ALWAYS have stupid stories after one of the these tings. :banana

lotsals1
02-18-2005, 10:21 PM
:goof :goof OK I AM THE KING of the 4l60e swap Dan i can have one out in 1hr one back in ,in 2 the one thing you didnt say one important thing WHEN!

SloFarmTruck
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM
NO FARGIN WAY!!!!!

I remember this ****! This is old school!! I remember having like 10 people even just standing around my car and yoosof's car when we'd be working at my house! That was the shti!!

CrawlinZ/z28kid98

MoreTorque
02-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Damnn..... been awhile since one of these happened!!! :thumbsup

I will try to make it. I start my new job that same day so I am not sure when I will get outta there.

lotsals1
02-19-2005, 03:12 PM
:goof :goof OK I AM THE KING of the 4l60e swap Dan i can have one out in 1hr one back in ,in 2 the one thing you didnt say one important thing WHEN!ooops my bad didnt see the date

T-Bag
02-19-2005, 05:13 PM
This would be cool to attend if it weren't in the middle of the day on a WEEKDAY. :rolf

Cryptic
02-20-2005, 01:29 PM
bah... where were all you fockers when I did the clutch on the RX7.

Dan why you pick a Tuesday? I cant make it, I league bowl that night.

y2kws6
02-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Yoosof - Thanks for the sticky, but I didn't think that I would get this much attention.

I wanted to spend the time replacing it when I am not taking up the family time. I am home for the week until I need to go back to work for military. Plus this is at my parents house and they like to watch my kids that day.

I don't expect a lot of people, just figured I would let it be known out there.

Dan

SlowStee
02-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Depending on whos going, I wouldnt mind stopping by seeing How the 4L60E is taken out :thumbsup

JC70SS
02-20-2005, 07:40 PM
I can hold the light.....hey, I just learned how to change weights in my sled clutch today!!

Yamahachick02
02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Dan while your here you can put my angel eye fog lights on. J/K

Yamahachick02
02-22-2005, 10:58 AM
This is Dan on Kristins computer. If any one is coming over that has a network cable that we can use during the install that would be great. I can then set up the wireless connection.

Dan

Otherwise I need to come in here for everything.

Yamahachick02
02-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Almost all parts are clear to remove the old. Now just the mounts to the motor :confused Top ones are going to take a while.

Dan on Kristins computer

BAD LS1
02-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Almost all parts are clear to remove the old. Now just the mounts to the motor :confused Top ones are going to take a while.

Dan on Kristins computer

Yeah your pretty much gonna have to let the motor rest against the firewall with just a floor jack resting under the pan. With the ass end of the tranny dropped down like that, it will give you enough room to get at the top bolts using about 3 foot worth of extension to get at the top bolts

Yooformula
02-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Good luck Dan, I wish I could have helped out longer. :headbang

Yamahachick02
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help that you gave.

Hope you got to work on time.

Dan

Yamahachick02
02-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah your pretty much gonna have to let the motor rest against the firewall with just a floor jack resting under the pan. With the ass end of the tranny dropped down like that, it will give you enough room to get at the top bolts using about 3 foot worth of extension to get at the top bolts

Ok what part of the motor mounts do you need to remove/loosen? The bottom two or the one long one. I have the bottom two on each side loosened, but the motor still will not go low enough to even see the bolts with a mirror.

Dan

BAD LS1
02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Ok what part of the motor mounts do you need to remove/loosen? The bottom two or the one long one. I have the bottom two on each side loosened, but the motor still will not go low enough to even see the bolts with a mirror.

Dan

You dont need to do nothing with the motor mounts at all. just put a floor jack under the tranny pan, take off the tranny cross member and torqe arm mount etc...

Then lower the jack, that will let the ass end of the tranny drop till the heads hit the firewall, the motor mounts flex to let this all happen.

Then you go in from back of the tranny with a flash light and 3 feet worth of extension, all your tranny bolts up top will be exposed.

Make sure your converter bolts are all out first before loosening the tranny

Yamahachick02
02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Got the bolts off and I will be writting Speed Inc. a letter after my full investigation on my stall install that they did.

Now to the store for a 18mm Line wrench. I cannot get one of the coolant lines off.

More updates later.

Dan

Crawlin
02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Got the bolts off and I will be writting Speed Inc. a letter after my full investigation on my stall install that they did.

Now to the store for a 18mm Line wrench. I cannot get one of the coolant lines off.

More updates later.

Dan

Uh oh

Syclone0044
02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
What happened with the converter?

y2kws6
02-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, Old tranny's out and new tranny placed in, but not finished. Not finished because I need to get all new convertor bolts because they were all mangled before I attempted to remove them and also need two new transmission bolts because one was not even installed and another works, but is not like the other trans bolts. Many other things already have been repaired by speed inc from the convertor and shift kit install, but they should not have happened in the first place. I still like Speed Inc. but I do not trust Dan the bald guy that works there to be near my car.

Dan

Yamahachick02
02-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, back on the install. If anyone wants to stop by I will be here. Cell is also on.

Dan

Yamahachick02
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
There has to be an easier way to put Torque Convertor bolts on. I have 2 of three in 1 1/2 hours and the first one I need to remove to put locktite on it, because I only put it in to line the converter up and see if the new ones would fit (Different length).

Dan

Max 93
02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
1.5 hrs to put in 2 bolts, your not doing it with your teeth are you? :goof

Yamahachick02
02-23-2005, 06:19 PM
After some more research I went against a friends wishes and removed the starter. Boy that made a difference in clearance. So, converter was on and lining up the tranny to the motor there is a 1/4" gap so we needed to remove the torque converter again. Currently tranny and motor is lined up and converter is in.

Dan

juicedimpss
02-23-2005, 06:22 PM
There has to be an easier way to put Torque Convertor bolts on. I have 2 of three in 1 1/2 hours and the first one I need to remove to put locktite on it, because I only put it in to line the converter up and see if the new ones would fit (Different length).

Dan
hmmmmmmm

Syclone0044
02-23-2005, 07:16 PM
After some more research I went against a friends wishes and removed the starter. Boy that made a difference in clearance. So, converter was on and lining up the tranny to the motor there is a 1/4" gap so we needed to remove the torque converter again. Currently tranny and motor is lined up and converter is in.
Well not to sound like a goon being a day late, but nonetheless here is an awesome guide to FBody TC install: http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/articles.php?do=tcinstall

When you said there was a 1/4" gap do you mean distance "A" at the bottom of this page?: http://www.partshp.com/ConverterInstructions.htm

What did you do after removing the TC that corrected the 1/4" gap when you put it back in?

Yooformula
02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
I said I didnt like removing it, I never said I wouldnt remove it!!! It was a pain for me as my wires had been melted and it was hell trying to get everything back together without tearing them again. :chair: :goof

y2kws6
02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I said I didnt like removing it, I never said I wouldnt remove it!!! It was a pain for me as my wires had been melted and it was hell trying to get everything back together without tearing them again. :chair: :goof

No big deal and I didn't even mention you Yoo, almost everything is done. All that is left is a couple easy bolts driveshaft and line up the exhaust. Then a quick flush and we are done.

Till tomorrow,

Dan

lotsals1
02-24-2005, 10:24 AM
yah sorry dan i couldnt make it --i may be ripping mine out again --i think my pump seal is leaking--i should of told you to replace yours while its out --it takes 5 min..--your suppose to replace them everytime :fire

BAD LS1
02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
When you said there was a 1/4" gap do you mean distance "A" at the bottom of this page?: http://www.partshp.com/ConverterInstructions.htm

What did you do after removing the TC that corrected the 1/4" gap when you put it back in?

A 1/4 gap is ALOT! The specs show for almost all converter installations that they only want it to be around a 1/16" gap when the converter is fully seated into the pump. If you have more that 1/16" on that A-B gap you need to install shim washers between the flex plate and the mounting foot on the converter. This will only allow the converter to be brought out of the pump a 1/16" and still have the proper amount of engaugment.

Basically if you dont have it seated correctly the converter will not fit period... it will bump the flexplate before the tranny will ever fit flush to the engine. So if you got a 1/4" gap, its seated and you just now need to fine tune that gap.

I know with my converter i needed to do some shiming, because its almost impossible for them to get the thickness dimensions the exact same as stock when they build an aftermarket converter so shim is required sometimes is what i have been told.

Dan* i dont advise locktite on tose bolts either unless they are super easy to get at if you gotta remove them again, your cars tranny has the same "sealed" bellhousing as my truck and there is very minimal space to get at the bolts. So if it has to come apart next time you wont be screwed, they dont put loctite on them from the factory for a reason :)

Those bolts will come loose after a couple heat cycyles, you will have to crawl back under and retighten them once after its been driven a little while, i had to do the same thing with my truck, all 3 were loose after a month of heat cycles. Tightend them the best i could with a 18mm crows foot while holding the flywheel teeth with a screw driver to hold the motor from turning and has been fine since.

Please dont over look the above, i have been there.

BAD LS1
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
yah sorry dan i couldnt make it --i may be ripping mine out again --i think my pump seal is leaking--i should of told you to replace yours while its out --it takes 5 min..--your suppose to replace them everytime :fire

Is your pump wiped out? LOL they shouldnt leak unles there us up and down movement of parts going on, i reused the stock seal on mine the 4 times i had the converter and it was bone dry each time.

Does yours have that same shitty alluminum front pump like my truck has? They make some nice cast iron versions i found that that are decently priced.

Syclone0044
02-24-2005, 07:00 PM
The guys I talked to all strongly recommended the Red Loctite on the TC-flywheel bolts, 1 good drop is all you need, when I pulled out my original GM TC bolts they had orange threadlock on them, when I bought new GM TC bolts they came with orange threadlock already applied.

I don't know how difficult it is for you 4L60-E guys to get to your TC bolts (if that Modern Muscle Car website guide I posted in this thread is any indicator, it looks like it's a direct shot with a socket & wrench thru the starter opening), but I have heard a lot of problems guys had on the Syclones/Typhoons from TC bolts coming loose and rattling and causing the knock sensor to go off etc.

Just something to think about. Worst case for me is I may have to hit the bolts with the little propane torch when I remove them.

BAD LS1
02-25-2005, 08:03 AM
f-body 4l60Es are a little more open on the sides through these removable plastic side skirts to get at the bolts, my truck, no way in hell will you ever get all 3 bolts out in under 3 days if they had loctite on them through that 1.5" wide x 5 " long gap they give to get at the converter bolts.

Granted mines a specific case :goof but it has serations on the back of the bolt heads to help secure them.

y2kws6
02-25-2005, 08:07 AM
I only used 1 drop of red lock tite on the bolts. The tranny is in but 'i need to get more trannny fluid before I can fully test it.

Dan