PDA

View Full Version : first round of GTP mods. jeff?

mattGT95
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
well, I have
a k&n cone that i'll rig up somehow. don't know yet, but it shouldn't matter much.

autolite 104's
180* t-stat + seal for year round use. (how much coolant will I have to replace?
3.4" pulley with gatorback belt
and I'm going to get the u-bend delete done at a local shop shortly.

I'm going to do all this in one big swoop. I'll do the u-bend, then i'll toss on the other parts. Jeff, would you be interested in helping me out with pulley tool and then case learn / kr check? let me know.

is there anything else I should really get before doing this? I'm thinking i'll end up getting a PCM if I need to. I like the price and the custom options on the Intense, but I think I'm leaning towards the DHP anyway.

I think that's about as far as I'm willing to go on this car.

Cryptic
02-07-2005, 10:03 PM
not a whole lot of coolant spills out... pretty much whatever is in that hose is what your gonna lose. Just gotta top it off.

Case learn - your gonna have to find someone with a TECH2. Fred (DaytonaPaceCar959) helped me out with mine.

I did an offroad pipe and a o2 spoof to get rid of my u-bend, sold that and eventually went with SLP headers

http://www.pbase.com/cryptkeeper_cars/offroad_pipe

mattGT95
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
how did the o/r DP sound with the stock cat back and resinator?

Poncho
02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
looks like you have yourself pretty much set.

however, please do a DHP. it's the best mod to do that enhances your car all over. Overall, it's the best mod that I did. shifts raised and harder, different fuel and ign. tables, no 126mph limiter, 2nd gear from 70 on really rips compared to the stock PCM.
then w/ performance shift off, feels like stock.

it's awesome having a car with two performance modes, and then that there's an actual noticeable difference.

Cryptic
02-08-2005, 07:24 PM
how did the o/r DP sound with the stock cat back and resinator?

dunno.. I have SLP Catback since I owned the car, which has no resonator. but I can tell you it had a very nice growl. the rap when you blip the throttle was cool too.

I later added a huge cherry bomb resonator to kill cabin drone. I had to go on a long road trip and I wasnt going to listen to that for 1000 miles.

Poncho
02-09-2005, 08:07 AM
No cat sounds different, but not as much as it did when you removed the stock cat from a car in the 80's.

I've heard no cat on stock mufflers. sounds pretty nice actually. a bit "tinny" but OK.

Flight_740
02-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I thought you were selling it? :confused

Neal Steffek
02-09-2005, 01:23 PM
To tell the truth, I have been modding my last 2 GTP's for the last 6 years and I think you are on the right track, but instead of the U-bend and down pipe, I would just spend a few extra bucks and get headers. You can find them used for $500. (they have a life time no mater what happens replacement warrenty). You will get a huge performance difference and will over all work better in the long run. (no rusting out on you)

After that, get some 1.9 rockers. Then you should be done for a "daily driver"

Daytonapacecar959
02-09-2005, 08:56 PM
If you're interested i will have a set of SLP headers for sale in about a month.I run with an off road pipe(no cat) so you'd have to buy the SLP high flow cat.
If you need to have a case learn done after you install the DHP PCM i work at Foster on 27th and could do it no problem.

Syclone0044
02-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey GTP Guys, speaking of GTP mods, what is your opinion of that Cartuning $2999 Turbo kit? The results sound pretty astonishing, I can't beleive it is so cheap. If I had a GTP I would be saving money for this kit and a tranny rebuild (is there such a thing as a FWD tranny able to take over 500LB Torque??) Anyway, is this kit for real? Are people really running it? Sounds Too Good To Be True...

theavenger333
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
yes, the cartuning kit is pretty good.

mattGT95
02-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I want to keep it sounding damn near stock. so i'm not really interested in headers, as I hear the car will sound like ass after a headers, dp, !ubend, and stock cat-back. like I said, mo stock sounding, mo betta.

and i still may sell it, if someone ends up offering me the right price. I'm waiting till I have all the parts before I sell it. the car is starting to grow on me more, but I really don't want the payment.

one more question, I ordered a k&n cone filter for the thing. its 8" long, but only has a 3" flange opening. is that too small?

Poncho
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
too small, mines 4"

SlowStee
02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
talk about short-lived :goof

mattGT95
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
too small, mines 4"

DAMNIT. :fire :mad: