PDA

View Full Version : The 2006 Cobra?

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 04:47 PM
This is a pic of what the Cobra may look like.

500+ hp for somewhere in the mid 30k's. :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
02-02-2005, 05:05 PM
500+ hp for somewhere in the mid 30k's.yeah. riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

I'll believe that when I see it. :rolf

mattGT95
02-02-2005, 05:23 PM
i've seen that pic, and my 'sources' say thats not how it will look. all they've said is big motor, funny whistle/whirring noise under the hood, and has trouble hooking up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

Yooformula
02-02-2005, 05:53 PM
This is a pic of what the Cobra may look like.

500+ hp for somewhere in the mid 30k's. :thumbsup

If Ford made that with 500hp for that price, I would buy it in a second GTO Judge or not.

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
We will all see if it happens.

I think it will have around 500 hp, but as for that price we will see.

Prince Valiant
02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I think it will have around 500 hp, but as for that price we will see. If it's that price, 400hp with a + maybe. If it's that hp, ~45G+ and possible 50+G.

Personally, I'd rather the price and 400hp...everyone knows how easy and cheaply it is to get another 100hp from a boosted motor.

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Regardless of the price, it will have a optional rear end between a irs and a solid.

There is so much talk on the other sites, we will just have to wait and see.

Ford has hinted at 500 hp, and has said a few more thousand then an 03'. :confused

Prince Valiant
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Ford has hinted at 500 hp, and has said a few more thousand then an 03'. :confused Wasn't the GT supposed to be priced competitively with the SRT-10 Viper too? And a SVT lightning out this or next year?

It's the pied piper syndrome. Ford "hints" does not equal promises.

It's simple though...why would ford offer a car with 95% of the capabilities of a GT, but price it roughly 1/5th the cost? When has ford ever done this?!? When Vipers still ran in the 60G range, and Zo6's were in the upper 40G range, what were cobra R's going for?

And I do not think you'll see completely different rear suspension options on a 35G car niether.

I do believe a 35G pricetag, and 400hp, with easy modability. Nothing wrong with that. But I would hope for a solid rear axle.

If it's what you say though (mid 30's, 500hp, option of IRS or solid rear) I will BUY one :goof

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Some hints?

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
"It's a chop but sources say it will look simliar....

2007 SVT Cobra to be unvieled at the Detroit Auto Show starting March 25

SVT Still Kicking, Ford Says

"With no cars currently on the market, there’ve been plenty of rumors working their way through the industry grapevine about the future of Ford Motor Co.’s high-performance SVT unit. But “reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated,” the head of the brand-within-a-brand told TheCarConnection.com, lifting a turn-of-phrase from Mark Twain. “We’d hate to give up on the brand equity we’ve established over the last 10 years,” insisted Hau Thai-Tang, the new boss of SVT, who until recently led the development of the new, retro-styled Mustang. An SVT version of the Mustang will be unveiled at the upcoming New York Auto Show, said Thai-Tang, and though he wouldn’t confirm production plans, sources told TCC it’s a bit more than a year away. Several other possible SVT models are under consideration, with an emphasis on adding a more mainstream product, such as a high-performance Fusion sedan.

Details:

- 465HP, 6-speed manual running in the low 12's with a trap speed of 120mph!

- You choose the rear suspension set up, either IRS or Solid Rear Axle with the IRS apparently pulling over 1.0g in the corners...

- The Price... in and around 30k.

Motor: 5.4 Supercharged, 3 valve heads (with HUGE valves), forged internals similar to the 4.6 (Crank, rods, etc), modestly rated (under rated actually) ~465 HP/495 lb ft Torque, using a twin screw S/C similar to that on the Ford GT but pullied differently, hence the lower HP. This motor was supposedly made official (in house only) just in the last few days.

Transmissions: 6 speed manuals standard with a heavy duty 5 speed auto (the tranny used on the Ford Superduty but programmed/geared differently) as an option in late '07 or the '08 M/Y.

Suspensions: A re-engineered, heavy duty IRS will be an option with a modified 3 link/panhard bar-live axle setup as the standard rear axle. SVT will be going for the Road Race buyer as well as the straight line racer with both axles optional. However, the Axle options are not set in stone as of the moment but look highly likely to be approved. The Cobra will be lowered about 1.5" from a stock GT.

Bodywork: The retro theme will continue with a serious nod to the '67 Shelby. The fenders may be flared more than the standard '05 but that is not for certain as of now. The ducktail will be factory installed. Also, no convertible is planned for now but no reason was given other than concerns over chassis reliability due to the torque volume."

BOSS LX
02-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Either way I will not be buying one, But I think the potential is really cool.