PDA

View Full Version : Computer/VCD question

y2kws6
01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok here is the deal. I did not bring my original disk of doom 3 over here to kuwait, but I did put all three disks in VCD Format and have them on my HD.

The problem is that the game wants to look at the D: drive for the original disk and I need it to look at the VCD (H:) Drive.

animal
01-31-2005, 06:11 AM
Try to use the "subst" command in the dos prompt and map h:\ to d: like this:

at the c:\> prompt... type:

subst d: h:\

or subst d: h:\<foldername>

you'll need to rename the cd drive to another drive letter though if it's currently the d: drive.

Sometimes the game is smart enough to recognize that's not a cd=rom though.

y2kws6
01-31-2005, 08:56 AM
That is what I would like to do, but where would I get the code/file to do it. I have a game that does that already, but a friend set that up for me and I am not sure how he did it.

Dan

animal
01-31-2005, 10:24 AM
What operating system are you on?

y2kws6
01-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Win Xp

wikked
01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
start...run....regedit
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

And you'll see your drives listed as:
\DosDevices\A:
\DosDevices\C:
\DosDevices\D:
etc. etc.

Right click the key that is your current CD drive letter, and rename to \DosDevices\H:

Exit / reboot.

y2kws6
01-31-2005, 06:45 PM
But wouldn't that make it that drive all the time? All I need is the game to look at the VCD Drives for the program instead of the DVD drive.

That should work temporarly though, thanks.

Dan

wikked
01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Yea it's permanent...but easily changed back.
You could just right-click the Doom3 shortcut... properties... and change the Target to point to H:\ ?

Could also try searching the registry for 'Doom' and seeing if you can find the default target of D:\ somewhere in there to change.

Of course both of those are moot if it's not even installed yet... which I'm not sure if it is or isn't? :D

y2kws6
02-01-2005, 08:37 AM
it is installed. I might try to look for the reg. files inside of the game itself and see if I can change them.

It is the game that looks at the D: drive not the linked icon.

Thanks,
Dan

wikked
02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Ahh.. then yea, it has to be in the registry somewhere.
Start...Run....Regedit...Edit....Find....Doom
I don't know how much stuff it'll find...but you can keep searching with F3 after it finds the first instance if it's not it.
There more than likely will be a line that has some sort of path/target looking for D:\ when firing it up.