PDA

View Full Version : V8 monte carlo back?

Prince Valiant
01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
http://www.chevrolet.com/montecarlo06/

and for you four door fans

http://www.chevrolet.com/montecarlo06/

too bad it's still FWD :(

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Awesome find - I can't believe they are offering the 5.3 LS1-family engine on the Impala and Monte Carlo!!! That is ASTONISHING for GM... I'm dying to know what the hell transmission they have that can handle this. Has anyone EVER offered a 300HP FWD car before??? :stare Don't get me wrong, I hate FWD but I have to admit this is unprecedented! How did they get it to fit? I can only assume it's transverse?

Also did you see the Cobalt Supercharged 2.0L Ecotec? Guess keeping a stock 2.2L displacement Ecotec would have been too much so they downsized it to 2.0L but they make it sound like it has a decent bottom end with that little blower. The exciting aspect is you could remove the supercharger and put a turbo system on it and retain the stock boost-sensing code!! Now you could have a wild little 4 cylinder (a first out of GM).

Prince Valiant
01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
There are several differences....to get it to fit transversely they shortened the crank and redesigned the accessory drives. It is mated to the 4T65-E.

If I am not mistaken, the Caddy northstars were the first to break 300hp....but never have I've seen the torque numbers in a stock FWD application before...unless you count the late 60's/70's Olds toronados with the 455 olds powering em :goof

As far as the cobalt...2.4 is the stock displacement IIRC. Why they went to 2.0 is beyond me...maybe they wanted the extra advantages of reving freely? IIRC there are already turbo swaps available as the motor has been out in the ION redline for a while now.

Syclone0044
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Boy you're right about the Northstar; forgot all about that. With a 4.6 (?) and DOHC that was surely a high RPM powerplant with a lot less torque than the 5.3 pushrod anyway so I'm still way excited about this 5.3L especially in a much lighter car.

I'm sure the reason they went down to the 2.0L was because it would make too much power (and especially drivetrain-stressing torque). They almost always seem to find some way to take the fun out of it.. I wouldn't doubt if they are retarding the timing/boost at low RPM to keep the torque lower and easier on the drivetrain. Look at the rated figures; what was it something like 220HP and 205 LB-FT on a boosted motor? One of three things is happening here:

1.) The powerband lasts until 7000+ (unlikely)
2.) The boost/timing is retarded at low RPM (possible)
3.) False torque rating (they've done it before).

PB86MCSS
01-10-2005, 12:14 AM
A move in the right direction. Still FWD :(. The nose change is kinda lame, IMO. Looks like they are having all the Chevy cars have the same front end look to them, blah. But a V-8 is a nice move...hopefully next re-design in a few years has the model in RWD :).

Syclone0044
01-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I found the answer on http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/corporate/05_Powertrain%20Overview.htm

Ecotec 2.2L and 2.0L SC

The Ecotec engine’s availability extends to the all-new Chevrolet Cobalt in 2005, including a 2.2L normally aspirated version and, in the Cobalt SS Supercharged, a 205 hp (152 kw) 2.0L SC supercharged version. Introduced in 2004 on the Saturn Ion Red Line, the supercharged Ecotec engine is a powerhouse for compact cars.

The all-aluminum, dual overhead cam, four-cylinder 2.0L SC engine is built off the strengths of the original, naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2L, including a four-valve cylinder head, maintenance-free chain-driven camshafts, counter-rotating balance shafts and an integrated oil cooler. Key components leveraged from the Saab 2.0L version of the Ecotec engine into the 2.0L SC engine include a direct-mount oil cooler, oil jets for piston cooling, heavy-duty pistons, stronger connecting rods, forged-steel crankshaft, larger oil sump, sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability and a high-strength aluminum cylinder head.

An Eaton M62 supercharger is used and allows the blower to spin at a lower rpm, which improves durability and creates less noise while allowing for plenty of top-end power.

I'm guessing the motor came from a Saab 2.0 Turbo.

Rocket Power
01-10-2005, 11:01 AM
The Grand Prix is getting it too.
Too bad the new GP is soooo ugly :goof

Crawlin
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
since GM owns Saab, alot of stuff is coming from them. Just look at the new Malibu's and Maxx's and the design influence and structure. But hell, if GM can save a few pennies using a product that's already in existence, good news for everyone, especially for the young hot rodders who just might end up putting in the 2.2/2.4L motors for a little bit more displacement with some aftermarket engine parts. But it's hard to tell with the way the import market/craze bottomed out already.

Chris

DFJ6000
01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
HOLY GOD!!! yes!!! Im a big chevy fan this thing is awesome, front end is odd but i kinda like it