PDA

View Full Version : Whats the maximum useable horsepower you'd want on the street?

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Just playing with a few left-field ideas in my mind and I'm wondering what is the most power you could imagine using on the street before you reached the point of severely diminishing returns / it got annoying / problematic / unusable? I would say 1000HP is no problem but I can't pinpoint the limit - I'm only picturing somewhere in the 1500-3000HP range. We will assume a full weight 3500# street car with hard hooking traction available be it RWD or AWD (prefer AWD for improved driveability but drivetrain choices are limited).

Is there a transmission that can handle this level of power reliable and streetably? Gas mileage could become a concern but for this vehicle I would imagine a 20-40 gallon fuel tank depending on the motor's cubic inches.

My inclinations are towards a turbocharged large inch small block V8 at a minimum, and a turbocharged big block v8 at a maximum. Goal would be maximum acceleration along with reliability and practicality at a cost reasonable to a working man. Would there just be a point it would get so fast (8's and beyond) that you'd need a parachute just to stop (which would be unrealistic for the street) and/or you would only be able to accelerate for a few seconds at a time, maximum?

I feel this project is very possible with the use of a turbocharged large displacement engine and alcohol injection to provide a very large driving range (250mi+ per tank) refuelable at virtually any location (93 octane plus alcohol). Almost nobody has done this - everyone going very fast has either high-strung nonstreetable race motors or forced induction on very small displacement.

Any ideas or comments are welcome!

SmokinRAM114
01-09-2005, 06:36 PM
well a 750rwhp bbc prostreet is good enough for the street for me and 850awhp from a wrx.i saw that thing on car and driver today.i wana test drive! haha :wooo 0-60 in under 2sec..! 1/4mile around 141mph

SloFarmTruck
01-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Just playing with a few left-field ideas in my mind and I'm wondering what is the most power you could imagine using on the street before you reached the point of severely diminishing returns / it got annoying / problematic / unusable? I would say 1000HP is no problem but I can't pinpoint the limit - I'm only picturing somewhere in the 1500-3000HP range. We will assume a full weight 3500# street car with hard hooking traction available be it RWD or AWD (prefer AWD for improved driveability but drivetrain choices are limited).

Is there a transmission that can handle this level of power reliable and streetably? Gas mileage could become a concern but for this vehicle I would imagine a 20-40 gallon fuel tank depending on the motor's cubic inches.

My inclinations are towards a turbocharged large inch small block V8 at a minimum, and a turbocharged big block v8 at a maximum. Goal would be maximum acceleration along with reliability and practicality at a cost reasonable to a working man. Would there just be a point it would get so fast (8's and beyond) that you'd need a parachute just to stop (which would be unrealistic for the street) and/or you would only be able to accelerate for a few seconds at a time, maximum?

I feel this project is very possible with the use of a turbocharged large displacement engine and alcohol injection to provide a very large driving range (250mi+ per tank) refuelable at virtually any location (93 octane plus alcohol). Almost nobody has done this - everyone going very fast has either high-strung nonstreetable race motors or forced induction on very small displacement.

Any ideas or comments are welcome!

You have WAY to much time on you hands. I believe what you just listed is in no way budgetable/streetable/practical. Where do come up with this stuff? BTW How is your truck coming along? Is it done yet?

Prince Valiant
01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Depends of course....with my mopars I don't think I'd be much interested in driving a motor on the street that exceeded > 1.35ish hp per cubic inch, beyond which it is not that it's impossible to live with on the street....just more than I'd want to put up with as far as the hassle of gas/tune/etc. For nice and decent streetability I'd probably keep it down to 1.25 tops on the carbed NA motors (and again...that would be pretty driveable and easy to tune)....and again, the kind of motor would be important. I could live with a higher specific output on a biger bore, smaller stroke motor like say a chevy 454 vs that of an Olds with an undersquare motor...but you wouldn't need as much HP from the olds to be a happy camper.

For Fuel injected NA cars, again 1.5hp per cubic inch would be great...and still be very streetable. Of course, retrofitting fuel injection to even an older motor would make it fall under this rule too....

For turbo/blown motor where would I stop? I don't know....I think that there a minimum of 1.5hp per cubic inch is mandatory for me to even begin to consider building....and I'd likely shoot for a good 2-2.5hp per cubic inch. Basically I'd try and keep it as a motor that was done around 6500rpm....

as far as the power handling drivetrains I don't know of an AWD system that could handle it...I know that either the dana 60 or ford 9 inch could be built to take it...but streetably? Probably not as it would likely require a spool in the 1500hp and greater realm. Tranny choices as far as auto's go you are probably left with two....a built 2 speed powerglide or 2 spped torqueglides. With the amount of rpms and torque you'd produce, three speeds would actually become needless.

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Chris (Prince Valiant), for this type of project an N/A car does not even enter the picture. I guess I should clarify a abit about what I'm referring to when I say maximum horsepower. I'm saying horsepower so great that nothing can out accelerate you, horsepower so large that you can show up at any street car dyno day and blow anyone else away and/or max out the dyno. Basically aiming for one of the highest horsepower street cars in the country.. and landing somewhere below that.

You have WAY to much time on you hands. I believe what you just listed is in no way budgetable/streetable/practical. Where do come up with this stuff? BTW How is your truck coming along? Is it done yet?

Trust me I dont have too much time on my hands, if I did (and had the cash) this project would already be under way instead of theorizing about it. My brain just gets really active sometimes and occasionally I can't stop thinking about high performance engine building... Anyohw, the project is surely possible. The first step to accomplishing something extraordinary is beleiving that it is possible. How does this sound, a cheap Chevy big block (454?) with whatever common cheap stroker crank/rods are available, stock heads and cam, no porting, dual turbo setup, GM '749 ECM transplant from junkyard Turbo Sunbird and tuned using WB02 patches and commonly available editing software along with 3-Bar MAP sensor allowing tuning up to 29PSI Boost, running boost in the 20-30 PSI range on alcohol injection with pump gas plus assuming stock compression is 9:1 or less. What kind of HP/TQ do you think would result from a simple cheap combo like this? The most expensive part would be the 2 turbos and the turbo manifolds. Plus a fuel injected intake manifold. Surely this would be enough power to test the limits of the stock block and crankshaft. I would expect torque in the 1000-1500 LB-FT range to be immediately obtainable. The unexplored area is how a large bore responds to high boost (some concern there.)

My truck will never be "done", unfortunately it isn't even really a candidate for a project like this, the engine bay is simply too small to be practical. You could shoehorn the stuff in to fit if it was a showcar but any REAL performance vehicle must be worked on regularly and maintained, things like having to remove a header to remove a spark plug are completely unacceptable.. The candidate would likely be a mid 80s or earlier full size muscle car.

Tranny choices as far as auto's go you are probably left with two....a built 2 speed powerglide or 2 spped torqueglides. With the amount of rpms and torque you'd produce, three speeds would actually become needless. Carl Rossler has a TH400 in the 6s, I would beleive such a unit would likely be the best candidate for this project, I don't know of anything as stout (besides the 2 speeds).

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
FWIW a 5 man team of friends built an LS1 stock block, stock crank turbocharged Firebird in their garage that ran low 8s at 170mph so far, this car is clearly over 1000HP, and it is using a TINY 348ci V8, consider how much larger of engines are available out there. This is one of the fastest street-type cars I've heard of, you can read all about it at http://www.ls1tech.com in the Forced Induction forum, they have videos and posts, the guys name is "y2khawk" aka harlan. This is not a "shop car" or a "Pro Team" running exotic custom billet stroker crankshafts and C5R $5000 bare blocks, this is 5 guys in their garage running GM production pieces.

There is also a guy "Kurt at Wheel to Wheel Inc" under the name "427" that works at a speed shop and has produced a turbocharged LS1 based engine with stock truck manifolds turned upside down as turbo headers, that produced HP/TQ both over 1300. This is just to give an idea of reference for things that are possible.

PonyKiller87
01-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Ive though about very similar things since reading about the truck that was in Hot Rod not to long ago(1/2 ton reg cab short box with a 6.0 turbocharged). The guy swapped in an engine, tranny, and transfer case from a 3/4 ton chevy. Oh his web page is says that the transfer case is rated for over 1000hp and he only has it locked in when hes launchin it really hard. The rest of the time he just runs it RWD with plenty of HP to fry the tires.

My Idea is something like that but I prefer the Old Body Style chevy(88-98) like mine. I want to find a 3/4 or 1 ton reg cab, 4x4 with the 454 in it and pretty much make a monster out of it. Mostly stock apearing on the outside, but completely radical inside. Start out with the stock 454, either 2 medium sized turbos or 1 huge one(still learning about turbos not sure whats better.) Move the radiator to the bed, and put a huge intercooler in its place. I think with all the technology and computer control today you could easily have multiple tunes for it so that for daily triving the boost is lower, consumes less fuel and is just generaly less of a beast, crank it up a little for nights out on the town having fun, and all out for at the track where you would have it turn up all the way, 4x4 locked in.... I want a truck that looks mostly stock, sounds good but not so much that it gives it away, and will run 8s at the track. I ran the HP - Weight - 1/4 time calulator thing and I think it came up in the 1000-1200 HP range to make that happen.

Shorty after I graduate (May of this year) I will be starting my search for the truck and parts to do this. Im sure it will take a few years to finish it but it should be well worth the wait. Just think, the only thing worse than getting beat by that little evo guy for a guy driving a $70,000 car would be getting stomped by a fullsize truck.

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 08:51 PM
PonyKiller, that 6.0L LS1-turbo truck in Hot Rod is really awesome; he is on LS1Tech.com as well. I beleive it went high 10s in 4WD with a small nitrous shot and about 15 PSI Boost.

For your 454 SS Fullsize truck, I just found an article quite relevant; look at the bottom of this page they are already building this thing (but with a turbo small block instead of a big block) http://www.bankspower.com/im_SuperRod_Sept042.cfm they already talk in the 850-1100HP range (dynoed). Read the Page 1 as well, very interesting.

SloFarmTruck
01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
FWIW a 5 man team of friends built an LS1 stock block, stock crank turbocharged Firebird in their garage that ran low 8s at 170mph so far, this car is clearly over 1000HP, and it is using a TINY 348ci V8, consider how much larger of engines are available out there. This is one of the fastest street-type cars I've heard of, you can read all about it at http://www.ls1tech.com in the Forced Induction forum, they have videos and posts, the guys name is "y2khawk" aka harlan. This is not a "shop car" or a "Pro Team" running exotic custom billet stroker crankshafts and C5R $5000 bare blocks, this is 5 guys in their garage running GM production pieces.

There is also a guy "Kurt at Wheel to Wheel Inc" under the name "427" that works at a speed shop and has produced a turbocharged LS1 based engine with stock truck manifolds turned upside down as turbo headers, that produced HP/TQ both over 1300. This is just to give an idea of reference for things that are possible.

Ok, this is Chris with the Z on Chris' screenname... I got to jump in with this ****...

If you want to talk about garage built stuff, then you talk with the OHIO BOYS. THOSE are the 5 that built a quick ass turbo firebird. Mike Brown started it all by going 9.8x in his stock shortblock single turbo '02 Collector's Edition T/A. Matt had some help yes, but not to the point of where you said. And it was from a nitrous guy for most of it(Derty). The ohio boys, THAT is true backyard ingenuity in the LS1 world. I don't care how "easy" you made it seem for Matt to build that setup, but he's an engineer for GM. He has inside knowledge of alot of things and has alot of equipment and friends available to him. Hell when you can build your own 2 step, shift light, and window switch to work with the LS1 PCM, you aren't no backyard wrencher. Second, his car is far from a street car with the powerglide. He's been on the street, but you are talking about a completely different setup. Stick to talking about Jim from Speed Inc's setup, because that's a true "STREET CAR" in every sense of the word. To AZ and back from IL? Can't go wrong. But again it's to a point where it's not totally useable on the street. Turn that 1000 hp down otherwise my little 400hp car will out launch you. And another thing is Matt is already changing his setup. He had win T-66's and is getting rid of those for his new piece. He basically just wanted to test out how far the stock crank could go.

When are you gonna get an LS1 car? You've been so up in Tom and I's business for the last year and obviously poking around on the LS1 boards. I think it's about time you get rid of the truck and get an LS1 since it's so easy from the way you make it sound.

PS - for the Turbo Silverado on the juice, he's on his 3rd motor. i don't call that reliable. fun, but come on...

PonyKiller87
01-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Chris,

I think hes been through 3 motors because it seems like he tries to kill them. The first one, the stock 4.8 he pretty much just pumlled it with juice until it melted. I think the next one was pretty much the same thing. If I build something to the extent of what I was talkin about it wouldnt be stock parts, it would be stuff designed to handle the abuse. I want something that I can take on power tour or for a random cross country trip if I want too, yet still throw down awesome numbers at the track. And not have to rebuild the motor every year.

I agree it maybe time to get rid of the Sycolone, but only to get a truck thats bigger and has more room for more power.

Crawlin
01-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Kevin,

I completely agree with you. He was pill it till you kill it with those motors. BUT, then it loses it's luster when you make it reliable. Still would probably be an 11 sec truck, but wouldn't nearly be as cool/different since it would be a big jump. That's all I was getting at with that post. So unless you invested alot into it to make it reliable, it's no different and not something that would have a HUGE benefit over doing a "car".

Chris

PonyKiller87
01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Very true, the reliablity is where the big $$$ starts getting spent.

The only really big advantage I see to the truck is you could get one with the 4L80E stock and the 4x4 which seems to beable to handle a ton of power and that added traction off the line from the 4x4 seems like it would be well worth it. And like I said its just a big kick in the ass to a guy in a vette or a viper if a big truck smokes them off the line, lol.

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Jesus - Chris, I can see you have a lot of animosity pent up towards me. What did I ever do to you? :confused I have acknowledged that you hold something against me for some time now, and never said anything about it; but I was always confused why? I have hardly ever talked to you; but when I did it was always on friendly terms. Your past posts suggest you evidently have some hate towards AWD :confused and now since I mentioned the LS1 engine you seem to feel that you have been personally offended? Did someone tell you a bad rumor about me or something that I'm not aware of? I can't understand what would make someone harbor such ill will towards someone they don't know whatsoever. :(

I will handle your statements one by one:

1.) I don't take directions from you on who I talk about, ok? If you want to clarify that is fine but there is no need to act like an ass about it or as though these 5 guys are your blood brothers. It doesn't really matter who built the car, the relevant point I was making is that it is possible to produce big horsepower on some stock parts without a pro team. I am bothered that you would put words in my mouth and say that I "made it seem so easy" to build this car. Show me precisely where I said any such thing?

Yes the 170MPH Turbo LS1 of Harlan is not a very streetable car but it is close, it is not a tube chassis dragster either and I doubt it has lexan windows etc.

2.) Jim at Speed Incs car has always impressed the **** out of me and you know it, so at least we can both agree on something. Witness my handful of posts bringing up this car over the past year(s).

3.)

When are you gonna get an LS1 car? You've been so up in Tom and I's business for the last year and obviously poking around on the LS1 boards. I think it's about time you get rid of the truck and get an LS1 since it's so easy from the way you make it sound. WTF? :confused :stare Do you even know who I am? By now, I'm thinking you maybe have me confused with someone else. "Up in Tom' and I's business" what is that supposed to mean? Tom was a friend of mine so it was natural that I would talk with him about his car. You say "obviously poking around the LS1 boards" like I visit the site solely to seek sneeky information on what you and Tom are up to. To be honest I dont even know if you post there or not. I read the site because it has some of the newest and most active technology development around, not because I want to "spy on LS1s". I read some Ford sites too so watch out, I guess that means I'm about to build a Monster Mustang... :rolleyes: As for my truck, I won't be getting rid of it any time soon but thanks for the rude suggestion. :flipoff2: But maybe I will look into getting an LS1 since the people who own them seem like such a friendly group. :durr

Anyways if you want to continue this I would prefer if you sent me a PM or posted elsewhere instead of polluting my thread with this offtopic dialog.

PS: I also noticed your shitty comment under your "UWILLUZ" handle where you brought up my truck out of nowhere (it had been at least 3 months since anyone mentioned it or I'd last posted) and talked **** about it as though I was a big braggart. Try and relate to me where I have bragged about my truck, if anything I don't give it enough credit, I have never posted my timeslips on this website even though it would be one of the faster things on the board. I also never posted about the times I smoked a certain high profile LS1 car a few times in a row (which you witnessed at least one) even though I had every right to say something. Why do you think that is? If I thought I had a "big bad Syclone" with "hot sh1t" I would have posted up about the race. You'll notice I refrained from responding to your UWILLUZ comment because I didnt even feel it was worth the effort to acknowledge your comment, but now I want you to know that my nonresponse was on purpose.

Now instead of reading this and shooting your mouth off with a snappy response, why dont you take a minute to step back and consider if you have unfairly targeted me? Do you have a solid reason for being so angry?

A B4C Z
01-09-2005, 10:03 PM
I have never posted my timeslips on this website even though it would be one of the faster things on the board.

So whats it run?

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I got it in the 11s in 2003.

Crawlin
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm just jealous, there is a Typhoon at work that I really want. Hahaha. In all seriousness I do want it. So no ill will towards AWD.

The UWILLUZ post was just a joke. Don't take anything you read in any of that screenname's post for real.

Sometimes the posts aren't able to get across true intent. Sometimes they make it seem harsher than it really is.

I just want facts straightened out. Mike and Matt's cars are not streetable examples. Jim's LT1 is and yes we both know it. That's why I mentioned it.

The post was to start a discussion on the maximum streetable HP. We got off tangent and you brought up examples of max effort vehicles. Jim's 750rwhp single setup could be driven on the street yes, but wasn't "fun" since it'd just destroy the tires. We joked the last time I was down there how you could basically follow his path since about 100ft past the stop light there'd be a 300ft trail of tire patches from when boost hits.

If you want to talk about a fun street setup, stick to a fuel injected, 550rwhp, 25mpg, forced induction of some sort vehicle. something that won't blow the tires off at every light. that's all you need to destroy almost every car out there. anything that MAY beat you is wearing some e.t. streets/drags and gets 8mph, or it's some 800rwhp supra that's pulls on you from 120mph+, but what kinda fun is that. in a street race that lasts 1/8 mile, like most do, get the 60ft jump and it's all over. anything way over that, gets to be unuseable in my opinion.

lotsals1
01-09-2005, 11:01 PM
there is no such thing is too much -all depends on how far you push on the peddle :thumbsup

Syclone0044
01-09-2005, 11:12 PM
FWIW I still think Dennis's car is pretty awesome, in terms of complete streetability ala Jim 96 LT1. I think with RWD and standard radials and stock suspension (w/no mods ?) Dennis's car would certainly be approaching the limit you talked about (Chris) in terms of HP that can't really be fully utilized. I am no RWD expert but I imagine a little suspension tuning, softer tire and that extra HP could still go a long way though towards making the car accelerate harder.

Anakonda69
01-09-2005, 11:35 PM
i love the 4.3 and think they r cool....i would take my truck and simply give it like 300-350 horse maybe a liol more and be fine...then its not hard to drive everyday as well as go to the track on occasion...

Al
01-10-2005, 03:50 AM
I liked the idea of an AWD car pushing 350 whp with a larger than 2 L and more than 4 cyl engine in it that weighed under 3k dry and was not a common design. This phazed out everything from Japan. To be specific, I was thinking about some of the older audi's with the 2.3L 5 cyl engines. From what I have heard, the quattro cars from the 80's were designed very well mechanically. This is also the era before the computer overkill in everything across the Atlantic.

[Most of us have seen that insane Dahlback VW Golf by now.
Here is a link w/ some pics...
http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/160_0406_dahlback/ ]

My ideal build would be a twin turbo with a vast difference in the turbo sizes and special wastegate manifolds to get as much exhaust into the turbo's efficiently and spin quick spooling turbo and a larger, more efficient primary turbo. I guess minimal lag would result.

350 whp would be greater than the porsche GT2 which can run an 11 sec 1/4. (would that be a 10?)

I'd kick the fenders out so it would resemble a DTM racer or even one of the older Group B cars. I'd also put a spoiler on it, but not a rice wing, but rather an integrated wing like the one on an F40 or F50.

This car could own a 1/4 mile, yet id would be great on a track too!

Cjburn
01-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Remember, power production simply relies on the wastegate spring on turbo'd car. You could have a car that produces low 500's on low boost, and over 800+ on race gas and big boost. That's entirely up the wastegate and whatever boost control you could want. For packaging constraints look no further than the Banks Log with the T3 exhaust flange and a 35/38mm Tial flange. Your options are unlimited when it comes to using the T3 exhaust flange. When chosing your turbo, cut your displacement in half, remember your redline, and try to find a similar displacement (read 4cyl) dyno chart. IF you're running a 350 ci motor, you're looking at twin 2.35 liters, or 175 ci per side. Then go look around at dyno charts, paying close attention to your turbine wheel and exhaust a/r. You can relatively control boost threshold/full spool and to a lesser extent power production through the exhaust a/r ratio on your turbo. Once again if you're using something with a T3 blade you will have several options. Turbo sizing is another topic altogether. I personally wouldn't want to run a large single turbo on a V motor. I think crossover pipes are ridiculous and hamper optimal flow. Now in no way am I saying that they don't work or they're bad, but I just think 2 polished compressor housings sticking their heads out between the head and the shock tower would just look wicked.

HITMAN
01-15-2005, 03:15 AM
I could give you my secrets for future forced induction street terrorism, but then I'd have to cut off your head and stick it in a jar...http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/waffen/violent-smiley-019.gif

GTSLOW
01-15-2005, 10:45 AM
If you want to talk about a fun street setup, stick to a fuel injected, 550rwhp, 25mpg, forced induction of some sort vehicle. something that won't blow the tires off at every light. that's all you need to destroy almost every car out there. anything that MAY beat you is wearing some e.t. streets/drags and gets 8mph, or it's some 800rwhp supra that's pulls on you from 120mph+, but what kinda fun is that. in a street race that lasts 1/8 mile, like most do, get the 60ft jump and it's all over. anything way over that, gets to be unuseable in my opinion.

:thumbsup

some 800rwhp supra that's pulls on you from 120mph+, but what kinda fun is that.

supra = :sgay

HITMAN
01-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Whats the maximum useable horsepower you'd want on the street?

Well, this would do for a start:
http://www.bluebird-electric.net/bluebird_images/thrust_ssc.jpg

:thumbsup

It's just a pity that the fifteen million horsepower from this would be so hard to control:
http://www.edugeo.miyazaki-u.ac.jp/earth/edu/solar/apollo_launch.jpg
:eek:

One nice thing about either one of these vehicles is the fact that they would be murder on tailgaiters...

Al
01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Just don't suck any road debris into the jet engines...or road kill.

Imagine hitting/injesting a deer!

turbogarrett
01-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I could see a 700-800 rwhp 03-04cobra, twin turbo z06, big block etc. be streetable. A few years ago when I was in love with supras, I test drove one that made 628 rwhp and while it was fun it was not something I would want to drive on a regular basis or any great distance. Furthermore the numbers were made at 27 psi and 110 octane, pump gas was only good for 18 psi.

Syclone0044
01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
I could see a 700-800 rwhp 03-04cobra, twin turbo z06, big block etc. be streetable. A few years ago when I was in love with supras, I test drove one that made 628 rwhp and while it was fun it was not something I would want to drive on a regular basis or any great distance. Furthermore the numbers were made at 27 psi and 110 octane, pump gas was only good for 18 psi.

Alcohol injection is crucial to the success of a project like this, IMO. At least, if you are using anything less than a big block. Otherwise you're "only fast at the track". I think the 03 Cobra and turbo Z06 could do it, but both engines would be extremely difficult to work on and I don't see them having good/usable traction, some concern about the strength of the drivetrain too? :confused

Do you have any links to any 800HP 03 Cobra stuff I could read up on? Always like to hear how guys are getting it done. Thanks

GTSLOW
01-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Alcohol injection is crucial to the success of a project like this, IMO. At least, if you are using anything less than a big block. Otherwise you're "only fast at the track". I think the 03 Cobra and turbo Z06 could do it, but both engines would be extremely difficult to work on and I don't see them having good/usable traction, some concern about the strength of the drivetrain too? :confused

Do you have any links to any 800HP 03 Cobra stuff I could read up on? Always like to hear how guys are getting it done. Thanks

I dunno but I've seen a bunch of 600+hp cobra and vette videos on the street. Not only racing from a roll but a stop too! I think turbogarrett hit the nail on this one :thumbup

Although a 800rwhp ls1 powered RX7 would work too :goof

PS theres a guy with a 988hp typhoon thats running on PUMP GAS. I'd be dam scared to see the numbers on race gas!

http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/images/nickdyno/nickdyno.jpg

turbogarrett
01-15-2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.svtperformance.com/ has some good info. Of course, making all this power is going to lead to traction problems with rwd. Racelogic makes a traction control system for high hp rx7's that is supposed to help a lot on the street, not sure about other applications though. A boost controller that can limit boost where traction is limited would also help. AWD is nice, but don't seem to last long with big power/abuse.

GTSLOW
01-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I've heard of electronic boost controllers that somehow know what gear your in. So in first you're making 15psi, seconds 19psi, third up full boost, etc......

Syclone0044
01-15-2005, 07:06 PM
PS theres a guy with a 988hp typhoon thats running on PUMP GAS. I'd be dam scared to see the numbers on race gas! Unfortunately things aren't always as they seem (or should I say rarely).. People touting claims like this make anyone making a legitimate claim look bad.. I know the story of that "Pump gas" Typhoon and here's the deal - its from a European country where they have gas available at the pumps that is leaded and something like 98 octane. So yeah it is gas, and it did come out of a "pump", but it sure is misleading to someone in the US who reads this and thinks they are going to make 1000HP on 93 octane on their V6.
:puppyeyes

PS: That truck still hasnt reported any track results even though the dyno numbers were released what, 8 months ago? :rolleyes:

turbogarrett
01-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Although a 800rwhp ls1 powered RX7 would work too :goof:
LT1 twin turbo, no#'s yet, but looks cool.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/544000-544999/544076_47_full.jpg

LS1 small single t04b 62-1 580rwhp/650tq 14psi 93 pump(unleaded), stock motor w/ unported 6.0 heads, 10.3@137
http://www.torquecentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8699

GTSLOW
01-16-2005, 01:21 AM
LT1 twin turbo, no#'s yet, but looks cool.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/544000-544999/544076_47_full.jpg

LS1 small single t04b 62-1 580rwhp/650tq 14psi 93 pump(unleaded), stock motor w/ unported 6.0 heads, 10.3@137
http://www.torquecentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8699

THOSE ARE FAWKING AWSOME! :thumbsup

Al
01-16-2005, 02:02 AM
I've heard of electronic boost controllers that somehow know what gear your in. So in first you're making 15psi, seconds 19psi, third up full boost, etc......

There could be a lag occuring somewhere. Sorta like the lag on my 88 mustang speed-density fuel system. I bet that the fuel system is ahead of the engine by a revolution or two. When I peg that gas pedal, it lags like there is too much gas going to the engine (which is what happens anyway). Add to that the crap idle.

I have also considered the fuel systems for turbos: on a MAF car with the sensor before the turbo, the air flowing through the sensor takes time to reach the intake valve. Especially when the turbo is getting into its sweet spot, the air coming off the turbo is building up additional pressure in the induction tubing, yet the engine is not injesting the same amount of air as the AFS is reading. It then takes even more time for the O2 sensor to realize what has happened to the A/F mixture.

Proof of the above is how the A/F meter on many cars will oscillate during idle. This is primarily due to the 2 revolution lag between the injectors firing and the O2 sensor picking up any discrepancy. I have paid particular attention to this occurance on DSMs and a GN. In first gear on one DSM and part of second gear, the meter went rich (beyond the 12:1 max-power ratio) for the whole thing, yet not so in third. This showed that the computer was predicting the fuel usage for the air which has not yet entered the engine.

MAP fuel systems can compensate for this.

(I think OBDI 2 can compensate for the lag)