PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have the dish?

Lash
01-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Just moved into our new house and haven't had the cable hooked up yet. Just wanted to check into other options.

What are your opinions on dish vs. cable?

Ricky Bobby
01-09-2005, 08:21 AM
dish sucks they do a hack job installing and also everytime the sky farts the pic goes out or get fuzzy. And cable we cover everything 100% i dont think dish does that. But this again is just my OPINION :thumbsup

y2kws6
01-09-2005, 10:14 AM
I have DSS DerectTV originally from Best Buy. Love it, perfect reseption all the time except for maybe twice a year before a storm comes we might get some electrical interferance. My bigest this is Digital sound all the time every channel. Cable cannot do that. Price is resonable too.

Dan

SmokinRAM114
01-09-2005, 11:10 AM
yea we have direct tv or a dish..it blows maybe if u lived where it doesnt rain.we went to d-cable to that and were going back

y2kws6
01-09-2005, 12:29 PM
yea we have direct tv or a dish..it blows maybe if u lived where it doesnt rain.we went to d-cable to that and were going back

It can rain all day and we do not loose any reception. It s only when we get the electrical storms before the rain storm, which happens 1-2's a year. I can live with that.

Dan

SmokinRAM114
01-09-2005, 12:35 PM
It can rain all day and we do not loose any reception. It s only when we get the electrical storms before the rain storm, which happens 1-2's a year. I can live with that.

Dan

man everytime it rains its gone totally.at lease for us

y2kws6
01-09-2005, 02:24 PM
You should check out your signal strength. Anything with 87% or greater on a sunny day should not have a problem. Mine is 93 - 94% on a sunny day.

An adjustment might be needed.

Dan

Rocket Power
01-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I have direct tv. I love it and I only lose it maybe a couple times a year for a short time and it has to be a pretty good storm.
Talk about install hacks... The guy that put in my roadrunner smoked a nice hole in my hardwood floor.
If I wasn't in the dsl no-mans land (they say I am 400ft away from having dsl) I would get friggen roadrunner out of my house too.

DFJ6000
01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah, i got direct tv, i love it, it doesnt cut out all the time either and time warner are a bunch of crooks. like dude says above my post, you need a good storm to make the dish cut out.

:flipoff2: the cable company

Ricky Bobby
01-09-2005, 04:23 PM
if u get a contractor from time warner not someone in house and u can report the hole to time warner if thats not how u wanted it but if he asked ya then theres not much you can do about it i guess im biased cause i c jacked up sat. installs everyday all the houses i do are clean and hardly any cable showin so . . .

Rocket Power
01-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Not much I can do about it now anyway's, it was 2 years ago. I didn't look to see if he was TW or a contractor, I had him and the dish guy in the house at the same time. :D

Ricky Bobby
01-09-2005, 06:57 PM
ah i c :thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I say cable!!TW has the DVR which i love and you don't need a box for all the tv's in the house!!And i love the broadband internet connection :thumbsup downloads are hella fast!!Just my 2cents

Ricky Bobby
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
yea the DVR is sweet and we also have now the HD DVR too for all the HD channels its awesome

BadAzzGTA89
01-09-2005, 07:09 PM
yea the DVR is sweet and we also have now the HD DVR too for all the HD channels its awesome
Is there any hacks for that box??I see it has the credit card type slot on it.

Lash
01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
ordered my digital cable today :banana

I don't want to risk it with a dish. I asked people around where I live....either they don't have any problems....or they have problems all the time. I don't want to be one with problems.

Ricky Bobby
01-09-2005, 07:22 PM
were u live Lash

Al
01-10-2005, 04:02 AM
ordered my digital cable today :banana

I don't want to risk it with a dish. I asked people around where I live....either they don't have any problems....or they have problems all the time. I don't want to be one with problems.

I herd that some people don't understand the difference between the magnetic north and true north pole. For us, it's not off by too much. But when you get some goon putting the dish up and can't read the instructions right, they point it in the wrong direction.

The biggest issue is aiming it properly.

Speaking of a lost signal, we lose our cable around noon ever once in a while because the satalite the big dishes are aimed at come between the sun and the main dish. So you will get that with either one.

Ricky Bobby
01-10-2005, 07:52 AM
all i know is my dad has the dish and everytime im over watchin some sports program it starts to block and tile and sound blips, does the same thing up north and i know u need sat up north cause cable isnt out there but when the wind blows or it rains better break out the cards or somethin cause ur sure as hell not watchin TV

JC70SS
01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
dierect tv here. Awesome! Digi-cable is a frickin rip-off with few channels.

Lash
01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
were u live Lash

Pewaukee

Why...you comming out to hook my shiz up? :D

Ricky Bobby
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
depending on when u set up the date they are movin me from the milwaukee area out to the waukesha area so yea i definately could be comin out to do it :goof

Lash
01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Friday

I can't wait!This bunny ear crap sucks!!!!

*makes wife stand on one foot while holding antenna and pointing other arm to the west* :goof

Ricky Bobby
01-10-2005, 05:02 PM
if i dont do the install let me know if u were happy with the person doin the install and do u live in a house or a apt.

Lash
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Condo

Ricky Bobby
01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
should be easy all prewired how many outlets u got or do u want cause to add extra outlets in a condo is a biotch but usually they have like 4 already in them

Lash
01-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah...already pre-wired. We have 2 in the living room and then one in each of the bedrooms (2)

I found the wires in the wall (must have forgotten to put the cover back on:D).....all they did was take the spliter out.

All that should really be needed is to add the splitter and turn it on at the box attached to the building. i got a 4-way splitter from one of th cable guys at work just to see if I could maybe get cable free *shhh* ;)....it didn't work though.

Ricky Bobby
01-10-2005, 07:09 PM
if u have the cable turned on u can then put the splitter in and have all of them on but we need to put a box on for the digi cable :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey Gunmetal...

do you know of a way to reset the PPV memory on a Motorola 2244 cable box??
A guy from work bought one of those high pass filters (rip-off) to try and get free PPV's, but he cant clear the memory!! LOL!

Email or PM me if you know of a way.... :thumbsup

turbogarrett
01-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I have direct tv. I love it and I only lose it maybe a couple times a year for a short time and it has to be a pretty good storm.
Talk about install hacks... The guy that put in my roadrunner smoked a nice hole in my hardwood floor.

Ditto. The hack time warner sent to my house to install road runner a couple years ago, fished the cable up my return air duct, left the duct open in the basement, wires hanging everywhere, hacked up my wall and mounted the jack crooked. Is it common practice to run the cables through the return air ducts?

BadAzzGTA89
01-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Ditto. The hack time warner sent to my house to install road runner a couple years ago, fished the cable up my return air duct, left the duct open in the basement, wires hanging everywhere, hacked up my wall and mounted the jack crooked. Is it common practice to run the cables through the return air ducts?

I ran my network wires through the cold air exchange!! :goof :thumbsup

Lash
01-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Is it common practice to run the cables through the return air ducts?

I would think it all depends on where the wall is that you want the box on in relation to where the return duct is. If the whole joist space is blanked off....they'd probably have no choice.

turbogarrett
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I realize it is cheap and easy to run it that way, but they advertise a "professional installation" :D He could've at least zip tied the hanging cables, patched the drywall that was broken and used a level to mount the jack plate.

Lash
01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
He could've at least zip tied the hanging cables, patched the drywall that was broken and used a level to mount the jack plate.

lol :)

SmokinRAM114
01-13-2005, 08:28 AM
well yesterday i lost my signal in the rain. GONE BYE BYE

y2kws6
01-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Did not hear any complaints from Jacki when I called her. Clear as day.

Dan

Ricky Bobby
01-13-2005, 04:02 PM
u are not supposed to run them in the cold air return that is like a last resort and like i said before i do a professional job dont like crap hangin everywere and if a tech damages somethin give us a call we will fix it :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
01-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Did you read my previous post on Page 2, Gunmetal?? :shades

SSmike1
01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I have

DISHNETWORK!

IT HAS NEVER FADED OUT. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 5 YEARS NOW!

EXCELLENT!

WAY BETTER THAN CABLE, AND CHEAPER.

and i can pick which channels i want, or dont want.
or buy the package deal.

DISHNETWORK RULES! :headbang

SSmike1
01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
well yesterday i lost my signal in the rain. GONE BYE BYE

if your loosing your signal, you do not have your antenna aimed correctly at the satelite!

Adjust it for MAXIMUM SIGNAL STRENGTH!

if you dont get a signal above 100
you have trees in the way?
something in the way,
or a bad antenna.

I have had mine for 5 years
and it has NEVER faded!
Snow or Rain.

:)
:D

Lash
01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Whats the difference between the Dish Network and DirectTV?

Ricky Bobby
01-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Did you read my previous post on Page 2, Gunmetal?? :shades
did now no its all controlled threw computers now with the pay-per-views they are stored in ur box then they pull all data at end of month they dont tell us how to clear it only the 3 headend geeks know that :rolf

Cryptic
01-14-2005, 05:53 PM
you guys need to re-point your dish if rain is knocking out your dish. The sky has to be falling (raining really damn hard) for my dish to hiccup.