PDA

View Full Version : A/C-P/S Elimination? (97 Z28)

GHOSST
12-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Who can tell me the pros and cons of eliminating the A/c and powersteering on a 97 Camaro Z. What shop will do it? Does anybody know anyone that could do it besides a shop? Is it simple, or does excess work have to be done? For now the A/c doesn't work and I dont really care to have it, I have a vert. The powersteering is leaking to, and I have a replacement pump if it isnt just a hose or something, but saying that, I've kinda had manual steering all towards the end of summer, which isnt bad at all. I've just been told that having power steering removed will gain alittle hp. Is this true? And does it take alittle more work to remove the p/s on a newer car like mine? Thanks for the help guys. ~Jimbo

Crawlin
12-31-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't think the power steering removal will be worth any benefit to you. The little bit IF ANY hp gain from it hasn't ever been proved across the boards. It's one of those things that if you are removing EVERYTHING else in the car, the power steering is just one more of those things the drag racer doesn't need.

On the topic of A/C removal though, ditch it if you don't ever use it. But take care in removing it. That way you can put it back in if you needed to. I did it myself in all cars i've owned. All you need is the 1LE a/c delete pulley that replaces the a/c compressor.