PDA

View Full Version : Remote start for manual

Al
12-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Who makes a good remote starter that will work on a manual tranny?

I hate going out to start my car when it gets cold out. When it gets cold like it is here in Cedarburg @ 3 deg F, my engine spins at 2k rpm after I start it; gradually getting slower as it warms. Lots of valve noise too along with a leak in the exhaust.

GTSLOW
12-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Dunno if any do. It would have to bypass the pushing in of the clutch pedal to start switch. Also you'd always have to park it in neutral or you'd have quiet a situation :confused

Ricky Bobby
12-20-2004, 08:11 AM
from what i know is that if u have it installed, its only on auto's for the simple fact of the accident factor of it bein stick. So unless u know someone who can modify it im not sure of any shop that will do it unless they have changed policy in the last couple yrs

ExStyle
12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
as long as you leave it in neutral its no big deal
worse come to worse rig your own solenoid in to make the truck think the clutch is depressed when the remote start is used

Al
12-20-2004, 06:16 PM
I thought that I could rig up a switch on the ebrake and a few more on the shifter which will only allow the car to start if it is out of gear and the parking brake is engaged. As for the clutch pedal, I can just bypass that switch.

So all I need is a regular remote car starter

ExStyle
12-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Most companys make versions of their products just for manual transmissions. Just have a look around on the internet at some car audio vendors you'll find something you like.(dont go get ripped off at some local store mark up sucks in the world of mobile electronics) you should expect to pay right around $150 for a remote start/alarm and expect more options then you know what to do with like it rolling up the windows for you when you get out and lock the car. Basically just have a look around find a few systems and then look for reviews and make your choice

Anakonda69
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
when i got mine installed my manual for my alarm stated you cannot put remote start on a manual vehicle.....

ExStyle
12-20-2004, 10:37 PM
You can kits for it are harder to find then autos, and they generally arent backwards compatible

Anakonda69
12-23-2004, 08:10 PM
talked to the guy who installed my alarm yesterday and you can't do remote start on a manual...he said at the electronics show in vegas this year a company showed a prototype remote start for a manual and that they would be in production early '05.....i forgot the company name....think it might have been directed...

SlowStee
12-23-2004, 11:51 PM
correct me if im wrong, but dont a lot of vipers have push button start? similar concept....I couldnt imagine there not being certain kinds for manual cars

Anakonda69
12-24-2004, 12:10 AM
after talking to multiple people in the alarm business they all said the same thing....no remote start for manual.....viper does make remote starters...just not for stick shift...lol

SlowStee
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
after talking to multiple people in the alarm business they all said the same thing....no remote start for manual.....viper does make remote starters...just not for stick shift...lol
DODGE vipers are what i was referring to :)

Anakonda69
12-24-2004, 12:47 AM
my fault....i'm tired

theavenger333
12-24-2004, 02:35 AM
i dunno who you talked to, but i owned an accord very briefly that had a manual remote start. was done by a shop in chicago somewhere, i don't have the book of reciepts anymore, but it worked like a charm.. as long as you left it in neutral

Anakonda69
12-24-2004, 09:47 AM
just telling u what i was told...someone asked a question and i gave an answer...

Lash
12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Even in neutral I have to push the clutch down to start my car.

ExStyle
12-24-2004, 06:38 PM
It's sometimes looked down upon and excluded for consumer saftey alot of big companys stay away from manual remote starts for thier saftey. Has the potential to produce some crazy law suits. But do they exist and are they possible? Yes

ACRturbo
12-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Not that hard...bypass the clutch/nuetral safety switch. If you bypassed the swith w/out a remote starter, you would still be able to start the car w/out the clutch depressed. It should work fine. Just find a wiring diagram for that circuit in your car.

Al
12-25-2004, 04:42 AM
My brother got one for a manual as a present.

I think it cost 150$.

I'll put the pic up when I wake up

FbodyTech
12-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I had a remote start on my firebidr that was a six speed. I had to bypass the clutch safty switch and also put a switch on the parking brake. I then installed a mercury switch on the shifter that would oly allow the car to start when in neutral with the park brake set. I ended up removing the mercury switch becasue on hills or inclines the damn thing wouldn't start. I had a viper alarm system with a normal auto trans start kit, just added the park brake switch and bypassed the clutch switch to run thru the park brake switch.

Anakonda69
12-26-2004, 09:23 PM
weird...my brother's friend bypassed his neutral safety switch and his car wouldn't start.....

fly5150
12-27-2004, 07:53 PM
A remote start on a manual can be done, I have it. Really no shop will install it because it is a liability risk. They can be at fault if you were to remote start the car with it in gear and hurt someone. No company makes a remote start that is designed to work on manual cars. A while back DEI had an add on piece that interfaced with the shifter to make sure it was in neutral, but it really didnt work well. All I did was use a relay to fake my car into thinking the clutch was depressed, alowing the car to still function like stock if i didnt remote start it. As long as you have a decent parking brake, the car wont more more than a foot or two if you remote started it in gear, it too much of a load to allow the engine to fire. I also hooked up the safety switch on the e-brake so it has to be up for the remote start to function......