PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio?

GRNDNL
12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Anybody got XM or Sirius?...What do you think?

How does it hooked up to a Factory Radio?

How hard is it to swap between cars?

Best place to buy one?

CruxGNZ
12-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Personally, I love sound quality and the satellite radio doesn't have it. Have you ever listened to a song that was downloaded off the internet at like a bitrate of 96? It sounds very 'digital like' and muffled, and that's what a satellite radio broadcast sounds like. On the plus side though, there is a TON of stations! You will not run out of things to hear, unlike local radio, which I like to call "CRAP FM".

If they can get the sound quality up, I will buy the equipment and service in a heart beat.

!M!

SlowStee
12-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Personally, I love sound quality and the satellite radio doesn't have it. Have you ever listened to a song that was downloaded off the internet at like a bitrate of 96? It sounds very 'digital like' and muffled, and that's what a satellite radio broadcast sounds like. On the plus side though, there is a TON of stations! You will not run out of things to hear, unlike local radio, which I like to call "CRAP FM".

If they can get the sound quality up, I will buy the equipment and service in a heart beat.

!M!
who downloadls mp3's at a bitrate of 96?? :D

SMS 1
12-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Get an Ipod or similar and pulg it in instead. +No monthly fee :thumbsup

BAD LS1
12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Ive got XM in my truck, i love it!!! i honetsly never listen to regualr radio anymore, there is like 200 channels on there and there is something for everybody. It costs me 10 bucks a month and first 3 months GM picked up when the truck was new.

GRNDNL
12-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Get an Ipod or similar and pulg it in instead. +No monthly fee :thumbsup

Whats the deal with a Ipod?

I can't download anything at a reasonable speed (dial-up @ 16.6) at home and won't do it at work.

ACRturbo
12-16-2004, 10:35 AM
With sattelite radio the frequencies can be blocked by bridges, overpasses, and sometimes even building signs!

My opinion put the $150 for the XM head unit, and each additional $10 a month into your motor... you will be happyer! :D

BAD LS1
12-16-2004, 11:05 AM
My signal has never been interrupeted for more than a second or two... Only when in the garage or at the gas station ive ever had problems with it.

Yamahachick02
12-16-2004, 11:43 AM
I have xm radio and have two cars. I love it I can take my radio and put in either car and it still only costs me $10 a month. The extra hook ups are only $70 and I installed it in my winter beater by myself. Really the only thing that sucks is if you are parked next to a building and the building is on the South side of the car your radio will loose reception. You can get everything you need to hook it up at best buy or american. :D

SMS 1
12-16-2004, 11:56 AM
dial-up @ 16.6

Good to see your Internet connection balances out the speed of your car :rolf

You don't need XM, you need RoadRunner :goof

One piece of technology at a time here gramps, not all at once :durr

Besides that you can still convert EVERY CD you own and put those in an Ipod ;)

GRNDNL
12-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Good to see your Internet connection balances out the speed of your car :rolf

You don't need XM, you need RoadRunner :goof

One piece of technology at a time here gramps, not all at once :durr

Besides that you can still convert EVERY CD you own and put those in an Ipod ;)

Hey..be nice to your elders.. :D

I'm thinkin' in the Excursion for when we're going to races, then she can move it to the Firehawk when shes just running around. I've heard some bad things about the sound quailty with the FM convertors. I want to keep the Factory Radio in both vehicles.

Can't get Roadrunner or DSL at home, the Direct TV hook is to much $$$.....The price of living out where the deer and the antelope play....

Soooo, How do I put my 8-Tracks and Cassettes on a I-Pod anyway..... :shades

GRNDNL
12-16-2004, 01:33 PM
My opinion put the $150 for the XM head unit, and each additional $10 a month into your motor... you will be happyer! :D

Ya Ya, this is for the wife, I could care less, My truck has a factory 8-track player in it....... :rock:

lotsals1
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
i just sold my alpine that had 100% xm built in i think its a 9820 --retails for about 350
best way to go imo --i have a roady for my work truck those are 125ish but differ as far as hook up --cheap route is get a roady get a awia stereo "they have a front input jack " and just plug the roady in there
quality is digital --cant get a cleaner sound than digital
draw backs are weather/tunnels ect.

SMS 1
12-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Soooo, How do I put my 8-Tracks and Cassettes on a I-Pod anyway..... :shades

Well you know you can get "Smoke on the water" on CD now :stare :goof

Anyway, if you are worried about sounds quality that much why do you want the stock radio's? Either way I personally have never noticed a sound quality problem that was seriously THAT bad with converters that were quality unit's themselves and properly installed.

Now if I could just find a way to get my "Frampton Comes Alive" LP to fit in that tiny slot on my stereo I'd be in business :confused