PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Experts... Advice PLEASE!!

DirtyMax
12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm trying really hard to like my new Sony DSC-W1 5.0 mp camera. I'm trying to get some advice as far as what type of shutter speeds to use. It's adjustable anywhere from 1/1000 of a second to like 30 seconds. Can someone give me a baseline recommendation as fas as what settings to be around for what conditions. Any help would be really great. I'm thoroughly frustrated with the quality that this camera takes in "Auto" mode. Thanks in advance!

Cryptic
12-06-2004, 12:06 AM
your question in too broad... in what kinda of lighting, what kind of effect (if any) are you trying for?

you cant just concider your shutter speed

you have to also look at your ISO (film speed), f/stop (focal Length), and shutter speed all together.

might wanna google those terms to understand what they do for you.
Here's a primer for f/stop, since most people have no clue what that is...
http://www.paragon-press.com/lens/lenchart.htm

DirtyMax
12-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the link. I was playing arounf with it yesterday indoors, outdoors, and with varying lighting. I'm starting to get the hang of it but there's so much you can do.

SMS 1
12-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I was going to post a more detailed reply but like Andy said you are asking a fairly broad question. For simple exposure it is always good to know the "Sunny 16" rule which is basically this . . .

f/16 and shutter speed to match your ISO speed ie: 1/125@f/16 for ISO 100, 1/250@f/16 for ISO 200 and so on. However this will give very "snapshot-esque" pictures most of the time and only really works outdoors in the sunlight (thus the sunny part of the name)

Sorry for the plug but I am a moderator at www.cameraforums.net and will be starting to write some very basic>advacned technique tutorials in the very short future. Sign up if you are interested or just lurk around in the shadows if you wish. I really would encourage a sign up though as in the future we will be having pic of the month contests ect. and we could really use some more/new traffic there (especially from the US!) Well except for the one guy there that has a bitchin '64 Nova from Ohio (I think)

Anyway, check it out and let me know if it helps you. My user name there is "Canon Fan" hope to see you on the board soon.

SMS 1
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Here's a primer for f/stop, since most people have no clue what that is...
http://www.paragon-press.com/lens/lenchart.htm

BTW I am not saying you are wrong Andy but that article is really a little confusing for basic beginers.

F Stop refers to the Iris of a lense. It controls exposure, but more importantly when used creatively to control depth of field. A shallow depth of field ie: f/2.8 (a very large lense Iris opening) will allow for faster shutter speeds and a very blurred out background, whereas a an Iris setting of say f/32 (smaller lense Iris opening) will need a much longer shutter speed but will bring the background in most cases into very sharp focus (sort of like a simple snapshot).

Focal Length generally refers to a zoom or feild of view equivelant. A zoom lense at 300mm will have a much narrower feild of view than does a super wide angle (like Yellow Wagon's favorite :thumbsup ) at 16mm. With an 8mm lense you may see almost 180degrees of field while a super telephoto 1200mm will give you about 5degrees max. The human eye equates to about 50mm in terms of reference. This is just one reason that many many photography classes are taught with nothing but a 50mm lense.

Just in case you are wondering Andy I only explained it for 4EYED's benefit, not tryin to be a "know it all" ass like some other things I have done here or abroad ;)

BTW: Yellow Wagon when you gonna jump in here?

DirtyMax
12-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I signed up at that other board as well. I am disappointed with the camera so far. Seriously, the pictures I take with my DSC-P50 2.1mp are way better. I have no doubt this camera has potential... I just need to learn to use it, as it's currently way over my head.