PDA

View Full Version : 1022 RWHP/3400 lb-ft suburban

Flight_740
12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
I stole this off of another forum. Very cool. Sounds likea damn jet engine.

http://fourwheeler.com/2004toptruckchallenge/videos/

"Jason Johnson of West Bank, British Columbia, Canada has built up a disturbing combination of technology and brute forse with his'94 Suburban. Powered by a 5.9L 24-valve Cummins twin-turbo diesel, this rig is, by leaps and bounds, the all-time Top Truk Challenge horsepower champ, with readings seemingly from another planet. We're talking about 1,022 rear-wheel horsepower and 3,400 lb-ft of torque-those the numbers Johnson claims this beast is capable of. It's fed by a modified 12-valve Bosch mechanical fuel pump and a pair of Holset turbos, one of which huffs into the other. Worried by countless failures of automatic transmissions, Jason opted to run a manual tranny for TTC. For this an NV5600 with billet input and output shafts was chosen, but first the torque flows through an Entreprise triple-disc clutch. An NV241 HD transfer case with a billet output shaft splits the power. For axles, a Dana 60 is up front and a Dana 80 resides out back (both were sourced from a Dodge Ram Dualie). Bother feature Detroit lockers, 4.10:1 gears, 35-spline shafts and Big Yoke kits. Spinning 44-inch Boggers on steel wheels is no problem. Custom four-link airbag suspension systems are in place front and rear. An electric compressor facilitates the ride height, which has 18 inches of adjustment at each corner. Rancho RS 5000 shocks complete the suspension and a custom crossover steering system helps keep Johnson's giant pointed in the right direction."

BAD LS1
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
HA HA! The thing looks like a coal powered locomotive with all that smoke, i wonder if those dudes got blasted when they beached it and the RF wheel dug in hard :wow

theavenger333
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
sweet, but me no likey cummins in a chevy......

Prince Valiant
12-02-2004, 01:30 PM
question: "How do you build a chevy that makes 3400ft-lbs of torque?"

Answer:"For starters, put a dodge's running gear in it"
:goof

Anakonda69
12-02-2004, 06:18 PM
that is the collest truck i have ever seen...i love sub's.....my parents have owned about 10 burbans and we have loved every one...except the brand new one they bought in '86 and after 26 trips to the shop we found out from gm that it fell off the trailer on the way to the dealer and rolled like 12 times and was fixed and sold to us.....lots of problems.....other then that one they have all been awesome...

GTSLOW
12-02-2004, 09:44 PM
sweet, but me no likey cummins in a chevy......

:loser

That thing is AWSOME!

SSmike1
12-03-2004, 07:07 AM
HA HA! The thing looks like a coal powered locomotive with all that smoke, i wonder if those dudes got blasted when they beached it and the RF wheel dug in hard :wow
he he he
i saw that too,
that rf threw a huge rooster tail.
totally awesome!!!!!!!!
:wooo

SmokinRAM114
12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
i saw that thing like a month ago on the top truck challege on 4-wheeler tv.they cant give it its all no one the said NO ONE can make a drive shaft or half shafts strong enuff that wont break. so as far as im concered its bragging rights other then that its useless. :rolleyes:

DocDave
12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
That thing sounds so mean! Niiiiiice! :wooo

MoreTorque
12-04-2004, 12:15 AM
People in the Cummins community have been waiting for an acutal dyno sheet from that truck. It is a bit hard to believe... especially the torque number.

Very cool truck either way though.

Prince Valiant
12-04-2004, 06:49 PM
People in the Cummins community have been waiting for an acutal dyno sheet from that truck. It is a bit hard to believe... especially the torque number. Actually, now that you point that out, you are correct. The torque numbers are quite
unbelieveable. In order to produce those kind of torque numbers, it's peak would have to be below 1500 and THEN, would have to fall off a cliff. If he made that torque number even at 1600 rpm, THAT would be were his peak HP numbers would occur too.

Good call brandon.