PDA

View Full Version : where to get 4.10's installed...anyone???

946speedz
12-01-2004, 09:33 AM
im planning on gettin a set of 4.10's installed on my 94 Z28 i was wondering if anyone can recomend anywhere to go to get em done, i live in hartford so preferebly somewhere close to here, but i will drive a lil bit if need be
thanks
ryan

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
I live in Slinger and i have all the nessecary tools to do the gear swap., including pinion depth gauge, dial indicator, bearing splitter, shims etc...

Pending on the brand of gears you run with it may make a light whine no matter how close you get the pinion depth.

946speedz
12-01-2004, 09:45 AM
hey badLS1 thanks the lightning fast response, so how much we talkin, case of beer, or a couple hundred bucks, i called moose's and they were talkin 700 for parts/labor, a little more than i wanted to spend. do you have AIM or aol?

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Tommy boy gets those gears in good!!!

946speedz
12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
z28kid did you have gears installed by tommy boy?

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Tommy boy gets those gears in good!!!

I agree, have Tommy do them. Mooses does great work, you just have to help pay his overhead. If you chose a aftermarket gear you'll probably have a whine of some kind, just the way they are.

946speedz
12-01-2004, 10:34 AM
GRNDNL-hey does your wife work at quad graphics,i thought i read a post a while back that she did, if so very nice firehawk, i work there too, and i know about the rear end whine, that wont be a problem, i wouldnt hear it over my SLP loudmouth anyways.

JC70SS
12-01-2004, 10:34 AM
I think Tom has done almost the whole boards gear swaps!

946speedz
12-01-2004, 10:36 AM
how are his prices? what am i lookin at, im a lil broke right now damn Xmas

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 10:46 AM
better than anyone elses prices :)

he hasn't done mine cause i have an aftermarket 9" rear end in mine. But yes he's done quite a few cars owned by people on this board, and even some cars that aren't on the board.

Chris

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I charge $100 and you buy the parts. I only gaurentee they will be trouble free if you get a ratech solid pinion spacer, Part # RAT-4111 through summitracing.com. Also i reccomend the GM gears that Speed inc sells, they were the beefiest set i found for a 10 bolt and are quiet! They are a little under $200. You'll just need 2 quarts of 80w90 gear lube, one 7oz bottle of GM limited slip additive (because you have an auburn posi unit) and a pinion seal, and the cover gasket.

If you beat on this thing at all i reccmend one of those T/A support covers too!

My AIM s/n is -----> slp1367camaross

Takes me about 2 hours from start to finish.

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I also rebuild T56 6-speeds too as a side job, I got all the special tools to complete those, rebuilt a few for guys on here too..

Just an FYI.

946speedz
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
um sounds like a deal to me, sounds like you know your stuff, what is your availability like near the end of dec beg of jan? is there a number i can reach you at if i have anymore questions?
thanks alot
ryan

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
6speeds :chair: .... BAH

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Not a problem, i dont charge a ton of money for this stuff because its relativley easy work for me, and i dont have shop rent to pay etc...

Im very conciencious about doing things proper, thats just the way i am.

Yeah i specialize my knowledge in 4th gen F bodies, they are IMO fairly easy to work on, ive done some work with LT1's but found they can be some what tricky to work on compared to an LS1. But yeah the entire drive train and suspension workings and some electrical i know very well.

You gotta PM.

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
6speeds :chair: .... BAH

Hopefully this will be the season where i prove your theory wrong :rolf :thumbsup

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 12:06 PM
GRNDNL-hey does your wife work at quad graphics,i thought i read a post a while back that she did, if so very nice firehawk, i work there too, and i know about the rear end whine, that wont be a problem, i wouldnt hear it over my SLP loudmouth anyways.

Yup thats her....Thanks......Her winter vehicle is the Orange Excursion with the Purple Flames.

What Dept do you work in?....I was part of the start-up crew in Finishing back in '92, I worked at Quad for 14 years.

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 12:17 PM
I also rebuild T56 6-speeds too as a side job, I got all the special tools to complete those, rebuilt a few for guys on here too..

Just an FYI.

I heard you sell Mary Kay Cosmetics and Man sized Pantyhose and High Heels as a side line also...... ;) :durr Sometime your going to have to show us how to powershift with your heels on with out your panty hose riding up, dam I hate it when that happens.... :stare

SSmike1
12-01-2004, 12:26 PM
wow
sounds sexy!
:wow

:rolf

I heard you sell Mary Kay Cosmetics and Man sized Pantyhose and High Heels as a side line also...... ;) :durr Sometime your going to have to show us how to powershift with your heels on with out your panty hose riding up, dam I hate it when that happens.... :stare

SlowStee
12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Tom you need to learn Automatic transmissions now!! :goof

SSmike1
12-01-2004, 12:31 PM

Just an FYI.

Hey Tom,
now that its f---- snowed,
its time to take the car apart during winter, and look for the bugs!
one thing that started to bug me about the car this Fall,
was the T56.
It is starting to act funny, during shifting,
going into 5th.

It goes into 5th while shifting,
but when i let the clutch out,
it like wants to Pop-Out of 5th back to neutral.
it kicks the shifter as i let the clutch out is another way to explain it.

all other parts of the T56 are fine, so far.

28,000 hard miles.

question,
can i take the T56 out, and drop it off at your house,
and pay ya to go through it?

thanks
super bike mike
:goof

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 12:32 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAH Then there is you auto guys, suckin on diet coke's, filing your nails, changing cd's (cassesettes in the GN) all while going down the track thinking to your self "can i fit a recliner in here so i can stretch out and relax" :rolf :chair: :goof

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Tom you need to learn Automatic transmissions now!! :goof

I really wanna learn how!! i just need to locate a junk tranny to practice on and service manual for it so i can figure out what the parts are and what they do.

Ive learned alot of new auto lingo watching that transgo shift kit instal video :headbang

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey Tom,
now that its f---- snowed,
its time to take the car apart during winter, and look for the bugs!
one thing that started to bug me about the car this Fall,
was the T56.
It is starting to act funny, during shifting,
going into 5th.

It goes into 5th while shifting,
but when i let the clutch out,
it like wants to Pop-Out of 5th back to neutral.
it kicks the shifter as i let the clutch out is another way to explain it.

all other parts of the T56 are fine, so far.

28,000 hard miles.

question,
can i take the T56 out, and drop it off at your house,
and pay ya to go through it?

thanks
super bike mike
:goof

I betcha 1 or 2 of the 5/6 slider ring centering detent keys (3 total) got forced out and are stuck to the magnets in the bottom

I can certainly go through it for you. See this link (http://www.ddperformance.com/t56_partsupgrades.htm) for all the parts needed, i reccomend the steel 3/4 fork and the synchro rebuild kit.

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAH Then there is you auto guys, suckin on diet coke's, filing your nails, changing cd's (cassesettes in the GN) all while going down the track thinking to your self "can i fit a recliner in here so i can stretch out and relax" :rolf :chair: :goof

You forgot checkin the Mullet in the lighted vanity mirror...... :headbang

Its still better than havin to "Double Clutch" all the time so you don't "Blow your Intake"......... :durr

Max 93
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM

that's a mental picture I could have done without. Hey, Tom do you do 12 bolt rears too?

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 01:11 PM
that's a mental picture I could have done without. Hey, Tom do you do 12 bolt rears too?

Oh Boy.....Thats just to easy, I'll leave that one alone...........

SlowStee
12-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh Boy.....Thats just to easy, I'll leave that one alone...........
:rolf

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 01:13 PM
You forgot checkin the Mullet in the lighted vanity mirror...... :headbang

Its still better than havin to "Double Clutch" all the time so you don't "Blow your Intake"......... :durr

BWAHAHAHAHA

Funny thing though, my auto i still tell when to shift ;)

But it will be quite fun to see the front end of that red SS in my rearview mirror. It's such a clean car. Just make sure you never miss a shift, otherwise it'll disappear from my sight

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Hopefully this will be the season where i prove your theory wrong :rolf :thumbsup

I proved my theory RIGHT this year with my own car :)

Let's see how much quicker I go with just the TH400 swap next spring

11.62 @ 118mph w/ 1.46 60ft ------->>> who knows?

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 01:17 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA

But it will be quite fun to see the front end of that red SS in my rearview mirror. It's such a clean car. Just make sure you never miss a shift, otherwise it'll disappear from my sight

Ya know Chris, I'm thinkin next year I'll be able to come back around and lap him in the Quarter........ :banana :goof

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I proved my theory RIGHT this year with my own car :)

Let's see how much quicker I go with just the TH400 swap next spring

11.62 @ 118mph w/ 1.46 60ft ------->>> who knows?

Hey but mine actually shifts now though :shades

Diff strokes for diff folks i guess the saying goes :rolf

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA

Oh man you guys harsh! :rolf hahaha were all enemies when it comes to racing :D

But make sure you keep the wheels on that thing so we dont reverse the roles u stated above :goof

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 01:51 PM

Yeah ive gotta 12 bolt in mine, they are the same deal as a 10 bolt only bigger.

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 01:54 PM
But make sure you keep the wheels on that thing so we dont reverse the roles u stated above :goof

That'll be easy, i'm just going the Keith way and going with the big bad 5/8" studs :) Reason why i didn't go them before was the fact that i still wanted to be able to run stock rims, but since the rear is getting narrowed, not gonna matter anyways anymore :)

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Oh man you guys harsh! :rolf hahaha were all enemies when it comes to racing :D

Hmm, that would be a interesting race, Tom Granny Shifting and Chris on Three Wheels.....I'm thinkin' it would be to close to call....... :shades

Good thing we're staying in Topic..... :alcoholic :goof :durr

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah ive gotta 12 bolt in mine, they are the same deal as a 10 bolt only bigger.

So you like them bigger in the rear......Hmmm..... :wooo

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 03:17 PM
So you like them bigger in the rear......Hmmm..... :wooo

BWHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH :rolf :rolf :rolf

946speedz
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
it seems like this post has lost its focus :banana

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 03:27 PM

Yeah i started a bench racing post...... not much going on there.....But we managed gettting into it on this thread though :chair: :alcoholic

Crawlin
12-01-2004, 03:28 PM
haha, i was just gonna post that. we hijacked his thread :)

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 04:01 PM

Ya...but now you know for a fact that Tom knows rear-ends.........Big one and little ones....Inside and Out..... :stare :party:

GRNDNL
12-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Diff strokes for diff folks i guess the saying goes :rolf

Here we are talking about Rear-Ends and check out what the Mary-Kay Mechanic says..... :rolleyes: :wow

SSmike1
12-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I betcha 1 or 2 of the 5/6 slider ring centering detent keys (3 total) got forced out and are stuck to the magnets in the bottom

I can certainly go through it for you. See this link (http://www.ddperformance.com/t56_partsupgrades.htm) for all the parts needed, i reccomend the steel 3/4 fork and the synchro rebuild kit.
COOL
THIS JANUARY
I WILL HAVE HER OUT,
WITH ANY & ALL PARTS YOU RECOMMEND,
AND DROP IT OFF AT YOUR PLACE,
OR WE CAN DO IT IN MY HEATED GARAGE?
YOUR CALL.
I'M IN NO HURRY.

THANKS

SO DO I NEED TO ORDER D&D PART #'S BS6 = $49 & BS45 $199?

PLEASE CONFIRM.

THANKS
MIKE
:wooo

BAD LS1
12-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Those are the correct parts Mike.

We can rebuild the trans in at your place if you like, i just need about 8 feet of card board to lay all the parts out.

Corvette Jabo
12-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I live in Slinger and i have all the nessecary tools to do the gear swap., including pinion depth gauge, dial indicator, bearing splitter, shims etc...

Pending on the brand of gears you run with it may make a light whine no matter how close you get the pinion depth.

Tom,
You may be my new hero!
I need to get a rearend from my 1962 Vette rebuilt. The diff is the same as the old Fords, it removes from the front after the axle shafts are pulled so the housing, carrier and guts are in one unit. I bought it off of eBay. The unit is clean and will be painted. The unit came with some 5:60 gears and want to go with 3:70's. I could most likely buy the bearings and clutches to rebuild the posi from Corvette Central and would have to buy the gears from?

I would like to get it done some time this winter and if you have the time and could recommend a place for parts and let me know what you would want to go through it, it would be well appreciated.

Jabo :)

946speedz
12-02-2004, 07:12 AM
now my thread really got hijacked, sheesh, anyway, tom check you IM's

946speedz
12-02-2004, 07:15 AM
GRNDNL-im a fork truck driver at quad i work the B shift, there are a few guys there that talk about you, since you have a GN there is a guy who works there that has one and he is having some problems with it im gonna let him know about this site and maybe you could answer some questions for him, where did you work when you were at quad?

SSmike1
12-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Those are the correct parts Mike.

We can rebuild the trans in at your place if you like, i just need about 8 feet of card board to lay all the parts out.
cool
AWESOME!!!!!!!
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
I'LL ORDER THE PARTS SOON!!!!!!!
ANYTHING ELSE? GASKETS? RTV?

I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE FED VERY WELL THAT DAY. ( HOME COOKED MEAL :drool: )
AND CHARGE ME WHATEVER YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD BE COMPENSATED!

;)

SOME TIME AFTER NEW YEARS DAY, IN JANUARY.
THANKS
:)

GRNDNL
12-02-2004, 10:07 AM
GRNDNL-im a fork truck driver at quad i work the B shift, there are a few guys there that talk about you, since you have a GN there is a guy who works there that has one and he is having some problems with it im gonna let him know about this site and maybe you could answer some questions for him, where did you work when you were at quad?

I worked in Pewaukee from 84-92 and Hartford 92-98. In Hartford I was Stitcher lead on A and D shift then ran the A shift for a few years before Tony B........

BAD LS1
12-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Tom,
You may be my new hero!
I need to get a rearend from my 1962 Vette rebuilt. The diff is the same as the old Fords, it removes from the front after the axle shafts are pulled so the housing, carrier and guts are in one unit. I bought it off of eBay. The unit is clean and will be painted. The unit came with some 5:60 gears and want to go with 3:70's. I could most likely buy the bearings and clutches to rebuild the posi from Corvette Central and would have to buy the gears from?

I would like to get it done some time this winter and if you have the time and could recommend a place for parts and let me know what you would want to go through it, it would be well appreciated.

Im familiar with the rear end style yes, its a mini 9" ford axle pretty much. However gears for that puppy maybe kinda tough to come by. Do you know the size of the ring gear off hand? or the GM corporate designation of the rear IE GM Corporate 10 bolt 8.5". Allthough it may not be considered "corporate" ina vette because they are one off axles and the corporate desgination gets attached to an axle or other item thats used on several other GM products. Eample: like a car 10 bolt 8.5" is used caprice/impala's, Turbo buicks, some older nova's... I dont think they weer ever placed in the old's g bodies or monte's though however, ithink those all saw the 7.5" axle.

Anyhow sorry for the lengthy explanation :rolf :alcoholic

Teufelhunden
12-02-2004, 12:21 PM
now my thread really got hijacked, sheesh, anyway, tom check you IM's
Oh yeah, look what happen to me over the weekend...:goof ;)

http://www.galantvr4.org/img.asp?id=10698

Corvette Jabo
12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Im familiar with the rear end style yes, its a mini 9" ford axle pretty much. However gears for that puppy maybe kinda tough to come by. Do you know the size of the ring gear off hand? or the GM corporate designation of the rear IE GM Corporate 10 bolt 8.5". Allthough it may not be considered "corporate" ina vette because they are one off axles and the corporate desgination gets attached to an axle or other item thats used on several other GM products. Eample: like a car 10 bolt 8.5" is used caprice/impala's, Turbo buicks, some older nova's... I dont think they weer ever placed in the old's g bodies or monte's though however, ithink those all saw the 7.5" axle.

Anyhow sorry for the lengthy explanation :rolf :alcoholic

Tom,

I will take a look at the bolt count and measure the carrier diamiter, I assume that will tell me if is is a 8.5" or 9.0". Thanks for your help! If I can find partswould you like to take a wack at it?

BAD LS1
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Tom,

I will take a look at the bolt count and measure the carrier diamiter, I assume that will tell me if is is a 8.5" or 9.0". Thanks for your help! If I can find partswould you like to take a wack at it?

Yeah no problem, (in best jerky boys-frank rizzo voice) "Ill take a whack at it my self!"

Just let me know when your set with parts.