PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Probs

MillzZ28
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
hey guys, i got a quick question about my speedometer, maybe someone knows a lot about them. On my way home sunday morning, i was traveling on the freeway and going about 75mph. all of a sudden this weird grinding/howling noise started coming from my gauge cluster, and i could see my speedo needle jumping back and forth between 70-80. it did this until i got off the freeway and came to a dead stop, the speedo seemed to reset then, and worked fine the rest of the way home.

then, this morning, it did the same thing on the way to school. however this time i was only traveling 45mph when it happened. and once again, when i stopped, it reset and kept working just fine. later that day when i drove the car it worked perfect. so now im really confused...

my first thought is that it has something to do with the cold weather, because sat night my car was left outside and was very cold sunday morning. however sunday night my car was garaged and shouldnt have been that cold on monday morning. i kno for a fact that my speedo is purely mechanical, and not electronic. It is driven off a gear on the tranny and then transfered through a cable. i dunno if any of that helps, but if you guys have any suggestions, or ideas as to what it might be, let me kno! thanx

Al
11-22-2004, 10:34 PM
That is what my mustang did before the speedo stopped working the second time. When I finally swapped the tranny, I found the speedo cable melted because it was resting on the exhaust pipe.

My integra does the same thing right now, but it usually stops when the engine heats up.

PonyKiller87
11-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Sounds like one of two things, either the cable is taking a crap like BlueBullet said, or the little plasic gear is missing part of a tooth.

If thats for the Iroc in your sig then I could probably help you out. I still have my speedo cable and a bunch of speedo parts since I switched to the 95 TA cluster when I did the T56 swap.

If you start tearing into the speedo be very very very careful, they are very delicate, and its super easy to snap the main shaft when trying to get the needle off. I broke my 145 mph speedo this way. Anyways if you need anything let me know.