PDA

View Full Version : History Channel and Grand Nationals

Bee
11-18-2004, 12:16 AM
tonight they had a show on Twins turboshop on the History channel. cool!!! two teams built each a grand national turbocharged and drag raced them. which ever team won took home both g.n. If i was building one of them I bet I would've took it home..hehe!!!

didn't know they came stock with only 200hp... didn't they come more than that???

boost is badass.... :wooo

Rocket Power
11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
I believe they were the older Hot Air cars, 85's IIRC

Corvette Jabo
11-18-2004, 07:05 AM
I couldn't believe how slow they were even after the mods. What is a good ET on a stock GN?
Jabo

GRNDNL
11-18-2004, 07:55 AM
84 and 85 were fuel injected Hot Air cars, no Intercoolers from the factory. Stock they run 15.50s or so. I only saw the last half of the show, did they put fuel pumps in them?.....

Hey Bee, my car only has 245hp........ :D

BAD LS1
11-18-2004, 07:56 AM
14.3.... :rolf The 86-87 cars ran that stock or better!

GRNDNL
11-18-2004, 08:03 AM
14.3.... :rolf The 86-87 cars ran that stock or better!

Mine was 14.0........Factory Stock

BAD LS1
11-18-2004, 08:17 AM
I suppose... those 85's where the cheapest things they could get their hands on to give away LOL, one didnt even run right :rolf

I loved all the piping running running all over the engine comparmtent for the intercooler too :headbang :rolf

What a waste, it would have been 10X cooler if they built up and 86-87 car :rock:

Teufelhunden
11-18-2004, 10:57 AM
I have a hard time watching any show with the twin brothers. I glad others thought the show was amusing.

Max 93
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
did anyone see the last one where they did the 68 Mustangs? they did cams and nitrous and they were still slow :confused

SlowStee
11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
GN's are teh sweet :headbang

Bee
11-19-2004, 02:32 AM
84 and 85 were fuel injected Hot Air cars, no Intercoolers from the factory. Stock they run 15.50s or so. I only saw the last half of the show, did they put fuel pumps in them?.....

Hey Bee, my car only has 245hp........ :D

LOL!!! your GN race car probably has about 500-550whp... now if you are talking about power output on your Excursion PSD non-chipped then I believe you... :shades

Corvette Jabo
11-19-2004, 07:07 AM
I have a hard time watching any show with the twin brothers. I glad others thought the show was amusing.

The twins show was pulled from the Saturday / Sunday, go figure!

PB86MCSS
11-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Didn't they mention the paramedics worked on the emergency vehicles? If so they sure didn't seem overly mechanically inclined or experienced anyways :wow .

Maybe they wanted 85's so they could swap in an intercooler rather than start with an IC motor?

GRNDNL
11-19-2004, 01:13 PM
LOL!!! your GN race car probably has about 500-550whp... now if you are talking about power output on your Excursion PSD non-chipped then I believe you... :shades

Shhhh... ;) It said on the window sticker 245hp, it must be true....... :thumbsup

Race Car?....Thats Years, maybe Decades away from completetion......My GN is my street car that I sometimes race (http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139721) .....Jeeez, How many "Race Cars" have Ice Cold A/C, Power Windows and Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise, 6 Speaker Stereo w/cassette (banging my mullet to GNR, Bon Jovi and Winger :headbang )?......You Honda Guys just don't get it do you?...Ohhhhhh Wait, your a Dodge guy now...... :chair: :durr :rolf

PB86MCSS
11-19-2004, 04:35 PM
After reading the thread on turbobuick.com apparently they could only spend $5,000 max per car....which explains the lack of a 86-87 ;). The white guy who won one of them put it on ebay already http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2493694246

I would of waited until the show aired for added exposure but oh well :shades .

rsscoty
11-20-2004, 08:02 PM
What were both the times? I started watching but didn't get to finish it. Are they doing the right things or just bolteing a bunch of crap on hoping it will be faster. I don't think I've caught a full show yet.

Scoty

Rocket Power
01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Caught the some of the show tonite with the Caddys. Two stages of juice to hit the 15's :rolf

And could the turbo twins sound any less knowledgeable ? :rolleyes:

Syclone0044
01-20-2005, 01:50 AM
One thing I like about that show; is its one of the only "reality" shows that is very realistic. These guys are obviously for real - every time they do something, things go wrong. Parts dont fit, engines dont start, people scratching their heads trying to figure out WTF is wrong, etc. This happens to everyone (or at least me, all the time, every time.) My favorite was when they jerked around trying to get the 68 Mustang transmissions out, only to find out that they had been shipped the wrong transmission and the original had to go back in. Now there's something we can relate to.

Its funny because on the more glamorous shows, I've heard comments like "Isn't it great how parts always fit together perfectly and everything works the first time and it's so easy?" Well here is a show on the flip side of the coin and still people are not satisfied; I guess you can't please All the People All the Time, so to speak.

Prince Valiant
01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
One thing I like about that show; is its one of the only "reality" shows that is very realistic. It is very realistic in it typically shows how many people will do mods that aren't really well thought out, or complete for that matter...

...plus, is it true that ALL their nitrous motors end up with blown headgaskets/etc?

BAD LS1
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
...plus, is it true that ALL their nitrous motors end up with blown headgaskets/etc?

Well the two 74' fire birds they sprayed.. LOL the one they on purpose jetted it for a 300 hp shot and ran an incinerating 14.3 and yeah that motor was smoking and making funny noises afer that :rolf

nitrous motors end up with head gaskets blown due to operator neglegance :rolf :alcoholic

Rocket Power
01-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Did anyone else notice in the Caddy one, that one of the guys racing is wearing shorts. :wow
Good thing he has his firejacket though :goof