PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a 02-03 WRX, SRT4 or 02 GTP?

HP ADDICT
11-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I need to get a practical daily driver, but want somthing I can have some fun with. I don't have to much experience with either vehicle so I need your advice on which one to get and why. I am looking to spend around 18k or less and the car will see some winter duty. Also if anyone here has connections on used cars and can get me a deal on one let me know. I need to get it in the next week, before I put my other car away.
Thanks,
Randy

fireguyrick
11-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Personally I think the WRX is the better all around all season car. But if all you are really into is straightline power go with the SRT4. To get a WRX to keep up with a stock SRT4 in Straightline power it would run about $1500 in parts and ECU reflashing. I do not know much about the GTP so I will not comment on it.

Thing about a WRX is that it will run the same time pretty consistently in dry, rain, snow, gravel, dirt, mud.....oh yeah, don't let anyone tell you that the WRX tranny is weak...99% of the tranny failures are due to people that have NO idea how to drive or launch and AWD car.

Rick

Cryptic
11-07-2004, 01:52 PM
GTP is a midsized car... alot more room in back seat/trunk
the other 2 is sub-compact class....

which would you prefer, apples to apples, ya know

the 3800 SII motor is pretty bullet proof motor, very reliable. reprogrammed PCM's (ECU) are cheaper than when I bought mine ... only $215.00 now.

A stock GTP will cut a 14.7 to 15.0. a few bolts ons gets you into the high 13's.

add headers and cam low 13's maybe a high 12.

disadvantage of GTP is the FWD/automatic (fun factor is less IMO)

HP ADDICT
11-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I am really thinking about the wrx, mainly because the srt4 is a neon so I bet the interior is poor. What are wrx's running stock? I found one for about 16,000 with 24k. Its a 5speed sedan, do you think its a fair price? I am not to concerned with straightline, thats what my other car is for. Have you ever towed with the XT? I have a atv and would like to tow it with the wrx if I have to. GTPs are sweet though and seem like they are alot easier to work on. Keep the info coming and thanks again!

Cryptic
11-07-2004, 02:01 PM
bump.. I edited my post in between your reply

GTP's are cake to work on. GTP's are not anything close to a corner carver stock. wrx would prolly be the better choice there. GTP have lots of torque down low. thats what makes them fun,

TransAm12sec
11-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Sommers on Mequon and 76th has a 2002 GTP, a 2000 GTP Daytona 500 edition with a bunch of mods, and we don't have any more used wrxs. The las one was sold Saturday. But you could try out an 04.

fireguyrick
11-07-2004, 04:34 PM
14.5 seems to be what I hear from stock WRX's. I have yet to tow with the XT, but I know people that have a hitch on their WRX's and STi's (mostly for carrying track day stuff though). I do not think there would be a problem with towing an ATV. In comparison to the GTP (which I have no clue how much Cryptic's mod path to low 13's maybe high 12's is) if you spend ~$2800 (buying NEW parts, used would obviously be cheaper) and doing all the work yourself you can have a reliable low 13 to high 12 second car ( I cut a 12.9 with about that much cash into engine work). The nice thing I will say about WRX's is that you can put a fair amount of power into them and still be able to drive it year round without any worries. Regarding the ej20 engine in the WRX....I would have to say 300awhp is starting to push the engine a bit, but with a good custom tune 350awhp well stay "relatively" reliable.

$16k with 24k miles on it for a WRX sounds ok. What year is it? Do you know how it was driving? Were there any mods done to it? Generally I would be wary of a WRX that had or has specific mods (Intake, MBC/EBC, BOV ), not that it signafies a bad car....it is just that in the Sube community those things are usually frowned upon, and many (not all) of the kids that do those things have NO clue about their car or how to drive it. I believe Yellow Wagon said it best about EBC/MBC's, basically he said that if you can be controlled and no what you are doing you can get away using them fairly safetly and effectively....but that is NOT the majority of the populace. Also, I would suggest looking the car over REAL good, or getting a Sube familiar mechanic to look at it. If you test drive it be on the look out for any grinding, ticking, clicking, or difficulty in the shifter. Usually that is the sign that the cars tranny is on the way out, and it also is a sign that the owner had no clue how to drive it.

Rick

Oh yeah, if you would decide to spend more on a new 04...don't let them sell it to you for anything more than 23K option'd out.

Al
11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I'd say WRX with it's AWD.

Get the wagon if you want more trunk space.

Crawlin
11-07-2004, 05:23 PM
i got a buddy with a WRX for sale, i don't know specifics, but i could get you his info

Chris

actually his AOL IM name is the "Jazzplayr88" that's in my sig or whatever it says down there, just tell him you are Chris' friend from up in WI

Cryptic
11-07-2004, 08:13 PM
everytime I see a WRX/STi on the hwy, it blows me away off the line... AWD is awesome.

parts priced new...
PCM - $215
Catback - from $400 to $800
SLP Headers w/ offroad pipe - $840 (with cat $889.00)
S/C pulley hub - $89
Interchangable S/C Pulley of your choice (depending on mods) - $69
CAM - $300
o2 sim - $35
CAI - $ vary

Good vendors for the GTP / L67 scene
http://intense-racing.com/
http://zzperformance.com
http://grandprixstore.com

JC70SS
11-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Gtp

jbiscuit
11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
WRX: heres why. You are looking for a good all around performer right? Well you have the "beauty of AWD" in the WRX. I'm telling you, the AWD pays for itself once the snow flies. The car is fun to drive, gets decent gas mileage, can be upgraded as you see fit, is VERY insurance friendly (side impact air bags, front air bags, crumple zones etc) and the car is versatlie. I own a wagon because in the sedan the rear seat does not fold down and I do a lot of camping etc where storage room is a must. I have had mine for 2 years now and I love it. It has been modded for most of its life and it still runs/drives like new.

Do what you want cuz its your money, but I think with AWD and the fun factor you can't go wrong...even if you left it completely stock, you will still enjoy the car

Neal Steffek
11-08-2004, 10:45 AM
everytime I see a WRX/STi on the hwy, it blows me away off the line... AWD is awesome.

parts priced new...
PCM - $215
Catback - from $400 to $800
SLP Headers w/ offroad pipe - $840 (with cat $889.00)
S/C pulley hub - $89
Interchangable S/C Pulley of your choice (depending on mods) - $69
CAM - $300
o2 sim - $35
CAI - $ vary

Good vendors for the GTP / L67 scene
http://intense-racing.com/
http://zzperformance.com
http://grandprixstore.com

You forgot www.3800performance.com :)

SLOWC5
11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
neal WTF, Where have you been

the beauty of AWD, I saw this in action at the track on saturday:) Higher RPM dump and a tire squak and the push back off the track. Oh I'm sure glad I got to see that thing make one run :banana

Its a neat car, I would never be caught dead in one. I'm picking another GTP up this weekend if things work out right. Easier that my LS1 to work on, and love mods!!!

JEFF

Neal Steffek
11-08-2004, 06:07 PM
neal WTF, Where have you been

the beauty of AWD, I saw this in action at the track on saturday:) Higher RPM dump and a tire squak and the push back off the track. Oh I'm sure glad I got to see that thing make one run :banana

Its a neat car, I would never be caught dead in one. I'm picking another GTP up this weekend if things work out right. Easier that my LS1 to work on, and love mods!!!

JEFF

Well, where to start. I now work at the American TV in Brown Deer, I moved to Waukesha, have been taking care of my mom and her cancer, and been dealing with 2 stupid as **** girlfriends. That and putting in lots of hours in at work so I can buy a house soon has took a lot of time. I just started to drive the GTP for the first time the other week after it sat for about 3 months. Oh yea, incase you didnt hear, I also purchased a 93 bonnieville. That makes 3 cars I have now. :confused

So whats up with you getting another GTP now?

HP ADDICT
11-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Ok guys just got back from Griffen dodge/mitsu. They had an 03 wrx with 24k on it for 16,997. I drove a brand new srt4 also. The srt4 pulled harder and the interior wasn't to bad. The WRX seemed to handle better and run a little rough. It was also kind of rough going into first gear. When I brought it back and mentioned the 1st gear issues to the guy he told me it still had a warranty and could be looked at if I wanted. I got a price of 16,400 from him and was interested so I asked for a carfax. He was cool and printed me one up right away. The car had 2 owners already 1 in WI and one in MI. It also had a accident reported in MI with severe/major damage reported. The first owner drove over 20K in the first yr so the second owner only put on 4k more before they sold it. I pointed it out and suddenly the price was below 16,000. I still told him I wasnt interested in the car. ANyone have any leads on a nice low mileage gtp or wrx under 25k prefered..I am leaning towards the wrx still but was very unimpressed with that one. Thanks again,
Randy

fireguyrick
11-09-2004, 05:43 AM
You might want to keep an eye on different WRX forums. You can usually find a deal on WRX through them. Here is an Example (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662110) .

That is pretty sad that either the mitsu dealer did not know about the accident, or was not planning on telling anyone about it.

Rick

jbiscuit
11-09-2004, 01:38 PM
yeah stay away from one that is wrecked...there is a reason I am sure that the last owner only put on 4K

the boxer engine tend to idle a bit more "rough." It took me awhile to get used to that also. It isn't a smooth engine like a Honda or a Toyota thats for sure. Just as long as the car idles at 750 rpm you are good to go.

I don't know of any locally that I have seen that are nice. But Rick is right, sign up on nasioc.com and search their cars for sale forum. There are a lot of modded ones for $16K-20K

TransAm12sec
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
2000 GTP Daytona 500 Edition, It has a remote start and a spolier that reminds me of a Jaguar XJ200. The car is lowered, has a K&N CAI, some type of exhaust, a head unit that flips around, optima battery(I think)

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AADpc&vinNum=1G2WR1217YF243975

2002 GTP

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AADpc&vinNum=1G2WR52192F128602

TransAm12sec
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
When I brought it back and mentioned the 1st gear issues to the guy he told me it still had a warranty and could be looked at if I wanted. ANyone have any leads on a nice low mileage gtp or wrx under 25k prefered..I am leaning towards the wrx still but was very unimpressed with that one. Thanks again,
Randy

All wrxs are like that. They don't want to go into first unless your near zero mph, you have to jam it in. I believe the reason is they don't have a syncro for first.

Sommers has 2 GTPs, I remember one was 16 grand. Might be on the website. www.sommerscars.com

Crawlin
11-11-2004, 07:42 PM
PM me your contact info and I'll have my buddy Sean talk to you about his.

Plus, if you ever doubt wanting a WRX, just watch that one video where they are all doing donuts on the lake. that was awesome!!

Chris

Junky Giorgio
11-12-2004, 12:48 AM
all i gotta say is ALL WHEEL DRIVE...

GTSLOW
11-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Hands down to the wrx, three words "All Wheel Drive"!!!! Either way the aftermarket is there for both.

HP ADDICT
11-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Well I havent had much luck in the WRX dept, but I did find a nice truck that I like. Its a 03 Trailblazer LT 4x4. Its fully loaded, off-lease, and is priced the same as a wrx. I know its not a sports car, but my 383 LT1 should suffice for the spring. Thanks for all of the help(even though I pussed out and am buying the truck). At least I have a good tow vehicle for my atv. Thanks for all the advice!!

Silver03SRT
12-21-2004, 03:29 PM
I would say get the wrx it will handle a lot better than the srt or gtp. you will have to look pretty hard to find a wrx for cheap because they dont depreciate in value as quick as the srt will. like someone said before go on differnt forums and look around. and if you do find one ask the person if you can take it to a machanic (spelling) to see if anything is wrong with it.

Silver03SRT
12-21-2004, 03:34 PM
here is one i found on autotrader
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=174719856&dealer_id=53266835&car_year=2004&make=SUB&distance=100&max_price=25000&model=IMPREZ&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=0&certified=n&address=53216&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1981&color=&cardist=53

DirtyMax
12-22-2004, 01:04 PM
What are wrx's running stock?

My buddy took his bone stock WRX to GLD last year and his best was 14.39.

jbiscuit
12-22-2004, 01:34 PM
14.3 -14.6 is about right stock....On a GTECH when mine was stock it was a tad slow, like 14.8 but also that was a GTECH. With ONLY an uppipe and downpipe the car will be a high 13 :D

TransAm12sec
12-22-2004, 09:53 PM
My buddy took his bone stock WRX to GLD last year and his best was 14.39.

What year?

SmokinRAM114
12-22-2004, 10:28 PM
out here in waukesha. hwy 59/164 and arcadian ave. it is don jacobs subaru there are several wrx out there new and used.and about 2miles down the road on hwy 18 there are several car dealerships.dodge,chevy, ford,used, all the brands.lol porshe what ever you want.I would check them out.also my friend is the collision repair manager at Don Jacobs. so if you got there and find a car ill ask him the TRUTH about it.

Al
12-22-2004, 11:21 PM
If you think about a GTP or SRT4, think about what happens when you are zippin around a corner and you give it a little too much gas, SNOWPLOW.

Snowplow sucks. The only FF car (with decent power) I know of that doesn't like to snowplow is the Prelude SH.

BTW- despite the newest being made back in 01, those preludes keep up with GTP's and handle like no other mild sport car. Plus they ride like gold. Something like the SH will really give you some confidence when rippin through the twisties because it has such great handeling characteristics.

I tried to find a copy of the magazine article I found that declared the prelude as the best handeling FF market production car ever.

BTW- how much do you think I could get one of the older WRX's for with moderate miles?