PDA

View Full Version : Pool table re-covering

PB86MCSS
11-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I am interested in getting our familes pool table recovered. I called around and Allied has the best price, $180 for a 8' table. Is this a job that could possibly be done by myself/someone reasonably inclined to take stuff apart and put it back together. For some reason I picture it as a very complicated headliner replacement ;). The table is old but in very good shape, just has a few recent stains on it that when trying to clean out, made it even worse :wooo .

If theres a good chance of messing it up or whatnot, I'll just get it re-done but I usually prefer to do things myself if possible.

DirtyMax
11-05-2004, 05:30 PM
I checked into it once and from what I read about the job... it would be $180 well spent. If you cut it short, the felt bunches up, etc. then you're SOL. They are paid to make sure it's done right. Good luck!

Kory 88Iroc lt1
11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
The only hard part is doing the rails. If you refelt it the same color and don't redo the rails its really easy.
The felt for an 8' table costs around 90 bucks last time I checked. It just depends how much your time is worth to you.
Hope this helps,
Kory

PB86MCSS
11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like a pretty wise decision to let the pros handle this one.

Pig Pen
11-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Would you do brain surgery yourself? I've watched some guys who refinished a vintage early 1900's table that my aunt and uncle had purchased. They used playing cards to make sure every square inch of the slate is level, total time was around 2 or 3 hours.... Seems like a lot of b.s. to put up with yourself if you can have someone who does it daily do it for under 200 dollars.

PB86MCSS
11-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Funny you use that term. I used to use that brain surgery analogy to motivate myself to work on a car and try something I haven't done before...because working on a car or a pool table even more so isn't brain surgery or anything that important in the grand scheme of things :D.

There isn't much I won't do or at least try out when it comes to using tools/hands. And so far I'm 100% of it working out...knock on wood :eek: .

Pig Pen
11-06-2004, 09:07 AM
I don't know, maybe I should have suggested the term "tedious" in my previous post. I think if the price is right on cost of refelting a pool table to let some one who does it daily do it, but thats just me.

PB86MCSS
11-06-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree. Somewhat similar to tinting windows on a car. But shops also charge like $150 to replace a car headliner when its simple to do yourself and the materials are maybe $50, thats what had me thinking...I'm agreeing that its best left to the pros here, not disagreeing or anything ;).