PDA

View Full Version : It only took Bush 24 hours to flip-flop on national unity.

Cryptic
11-04-2004, 10:01 PM
WASHINGTON - Contending Americans have embraced his conservative agenda, President Bush (news - web sites) pledged Thursday to aggressively pursue major changes in Social Security (news - web sites), the tax code and medical malpractice awards, working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not.

"I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it," Bush said a day after a decisive victory that made him the first president in 68 years to win re-election and gain seats in both the House and Senate.

"I'll reach out to everyone who shares our goals," said Bush, who 24 hours earlier had promised to try to win over those who voted for his Democratic opponent.

Yesterday he wanted to reach out to the 55 million people who voted against him. Today, he only wants to reach out to people who shares his goals -- everyone else be damned.

*dodges bullets*

TuffEnuff
11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
hhmmmm....works for me, I'd do the same thing.

Besides, the Liberal Jackasses wanted a flip flopper in office anyway...now they have one!

Yooformula
11-04-2004, 11:16 PM
My guess is that he is trying to piss of the Kerry campaign. :confused If that is the context in which he meant it to be then that is weird.

SMS 1
11-05-2004, 07:39 AM
He did seem to be "thumbing the nose" a bit yesterday in his speech about "political capital" but at the same time he also said that he would "leave them behind" mainly I believe as a scare tactic to get them to fall in line because if they don't it'll look like they are the ones against it all which would once again prove their hypocracy. But also some of ours I suppose.

Prince Valiant
11-05-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't know WHY someone who won an election should be expected to adopt his opponents platform or ideas :confused Why work so hard to get everyone to vote for your agenda, then marginalize THEM by adopting the principles of your opponent? And is anyone naive enough to believe that he'll make those who voted against him happy? never.

And he IS right...he's the first president in 16 years to recieve a majority of all the votes cast in the US.

The guy reached out to his opponents last time as well...heck, he let teddy kennedy author/tweak the oft criticized (by the left at least) "no child left behind" act to try and build a working relationship with those on the other side of the hill...or in other words, "his opponents"

I think the only way that one can "reach out" to those that voted against him is not by neccessarily doing things their way, but by showing results, and getting things done. Opponents won't like it as it progresses, but hopefully with a larger majority in both the house and the senate, there won't be as large a public battle, thus making the advancing of his goals for his second term not seem so much a headache.

And when I look at his goals of what was enunciated it that clip, I agree with every single one of them as issues that HAS to be dealt with...and if he can sell his ideas, and get some of the democrats on board selling his idea as well, great. If not, oh well.

If he had abandoned any of those ideas, THAT would have been a flip-flop.

Trivia question: Name something great and lasting a moderate president has accomplished?

Legacy's were built not on moderation. Liberals can point to the "New Deal" and "Great Society" as lasting bastions from there camp, and they weren't built by vacilitating, moderate dems. Lincoln wasn't a wishy-washy "I'll reach out and only do something if my opponents approve" type of president either....

EDIT: Furthemore, lest everyone forget. After 9/11 EVERYONE was in love with the guy...he sustained extremely high approval ratings for everything he was doing. He never changed his goals, methods, etc...not one iota. Gee, it wasn't until the election started to come around and dean and his talk of "quagmire" and moore and his conspiracy theories and irresponsible and very untrue film came along did his approval rating drop...it was the left that in fact left. THEY would be the "flip-floppers" that couldn't see anything through.

Cryptic
11-05-2004, 10:32 AM
I just like striking cords :D

Prince Valiant
11-05-2004, 12:54 PM
oh yeah?!? c'mere for a minute... :fire

:goof