PDA

View Full Version : subaru legacy

deciuss
11-04-2004, 02:40 PM
i know this is a domestic board but i know some have diffrent cars has any one driven a subaru legacy? im looking at this to be my next car around next xmass i have had it with the civic every thing i do it just needs another thing done and i want to get rid of it.

im looking at the GT i belive it is the one for 26,000 base price.
250hp detuned sti engen in it
awd
not sure on turbo size at all yet.

if any one has any experience with them you imput would be cool.

any one want a turbed civic? lol

Cryptic
11-04-2004, 02:42 PM
why does everyone keep saying that?

"domestic board" domestic dominated maybe

deciuss
11-04-2004, 02:44 PM
hehe if you talk import you get pounded on

BAD LS1
11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
That legacy is an import, not to be confused with rice. That car is actually good looking!

deciuss
11-04-2004, 02:50 PM
dont flame me on this but i see aspects of the civic in there. one of the reasons i held onto the civic is due to i think it looks ok but even with a turbo im just not i dont know i guess i just want more boost more hp and i cant do that on the civic.

jbiscuit
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I have nothing usefull to say

deciuss
11-04-2004, 03:08 PM
aspects of body design. see yellow all you do is follow me around this board and flame me.

dont know any thing about what im talking about? how about computer upgrade and a 3' header back pipe with no cat will bring it to 300hp you pos i have looked and reserched a bit

you have no clue about my finachal situation on what i can and cant afford. i would go buy it right now but i want to make the civic safe for someone other then me to keep around for a while.

improved tranny around 800 bucks with labor and the e-01 hooked up finaly. stfu yellow wagon your a pos and dont have a clue but think you do i was asking about other peoples experiances about the legacy not for you to flame me for no reason

jbiscuit
11-04-2004, 03:23 PM
dont know any thing about what im talking about? how about computer upgrade and a 3' header back pipe with no cat will bring it to 300hp you pos i have looked and reserched a bit

HAAAA WHHHAATTT!!!?

a 3' header back pipe? That sounds like a soccer move. Enlighten me as to what a 3' header back pipe is and how you install that considering there is one of those turbo-things in the way.

eviljay
11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
If you want more boost than I woulden't look at the Legacy. Don't get me wrong it a great car, but if your lookin for performance than look at the STI or even the Evo. My brother-in-law has an STI and his wife has the Legacy. The Legacy is plush with all the bells an whistles, but as far as having fun the Legacy is more suited for hauling my kids to school.....

jbiscuit
11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
http://www.tenzoracingsports.com/performance/exhausts/venturi/popup_rearsection.jpg

is this one of those header-back turbo sparkers that you are talking about? :goof

Pig Pen
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Bwaaaa ha ha ha!!! Get'em!

TurboAWD2.0
11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
yeah subaru! :rockwoot:

i've heard nothing but good things about the new legacy. a friend of mine has one... it's a very nice car. that, and he can usually take my wrx with it haha

are you perhaps talking about a turbo-back? or the up-pipe and turbo-back combo?

deciuss
11-04-2004, 08:52 PM
the sti is a little much and im not a fan of the evo to much for me plus i dont like my sis misubesie (spelling) i dont like the feal of them.

any ways i know what im talk about i just cant spell it so i did not want to try and spell the right things.

ok if you change out the down pipe to 3 inch and do that all the way back to the muffler removing the cat plus an ecu upgrade you get 300+ whp from it. or so the legacy boards talk about.

i guess my putting on a turbo still meens i dont know jack sorry if you think having to take it to bee's to get my tranny droped to put the drain hoes on makes me less worthy to you.

fireguyrick
11-05-2004, 06:23 AM
The Legacy GT is a decent car, but there is NO WAY you will see 300awhp from just a TBE and ECU upgrade. A STi does not even reach 300awhp with a Turboback exhaust and ECU upgrade. I believe you would more realistically see 235awhp from that. My reasoning for that number is that the Forester XT is realistically making ~240CHP (most Sube tuners have confirmed that, and it is "officialy" rated at 210chp) and with a TBE and ECU upgrade it puts down ~225awhp. The LegGT from what I understand is not under rated like the XT, so You might see 10whp more from the same set up.

A big issue in my book with the LegGT is how the turbo and Intercooler are set up. They are NOTHING like anyother Subaru turbo vehicle before.

Personally I would not buy a LegGT, but than I have a STi and the wife has a Forester XT. To me the LegGT makes to many concessions....maybe if a Leg STi comes here I would be intrested....but that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

I may not know alot about other vehicles, but I know my Sube's well. I went from a fairly modified 04 WRX that ran high 12's to my STi that should easily be mid to high 11's when I get my crap toghether and tuned with EcuTek up in Toronto at Ultimate Racing. My wife's Xt will be getting all the take offs (vf39, Uppipe, and some Engine Managment) to end up around the area of 300chp.

Rick

deciuss
11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
thats for your imput fire

jbiscuit
11-05-2004, 11:24 AM
d3cEEuss wAntz a terbO bakE Eceeyou mode for da 3hunderd hoRcee pOwder CivIc eetur.

SuBEE's Rok!

BAD LS1
11-05-2004, 11:30 AM
d3cEEuss wAntz a terbO bakE Eceeyou mode for da 3hunderd hoRcee pOwder CivIc eetur.

SuBEE's Rok!

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH :rolf /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\_____________ FLAT LINE!

jbiscuit
11-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Get um! :thumbsup

BAD LS1
11-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Check out my sig J :rolf

Bet you didnt know he's diclexuck and that im an ASSHOLEâ„¢

deciuss
11-05-2004, 11:41 AM
any one know what psi you can crank it up with a boost controller to run daily without upgrading internals?

jbiscuit
11-05-2004, 11:46 AM
usually around 32-33psi

as long as you are running 89 octane. DON'T be cheap and run the 87!

deciuss
11-05-2004, 11:51 AM
any one know if you can get it up to at least 13-15 psi before upgrading? or without having to upgrade the fuel pump?

Cryptic
11-05-2004, 11:51 AM
J, find a new hobby already.

fireguyrick
11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Subaru's and Boost controllers are a FAST way to blow your engine. I believe stock PSI should be around 13 to 14 psi. I know that I will be running somewhere in the area of 19-22 PSI depending on how my tune goes, but I am tossing in some rather large Fuel injectors and rails.

Just a quick heads up on Subaru's since you come from a honda.

Boost Controllers= BAD
Blow Off Valves= BAD
CAI= BAD

Subaru's have a VERY touchy open/closed loop fueling setup. Boost controllers will easily lean the crap out of the car while under partial throttle. Intakes do not work well because there are not properly designed ones out there, and the stock airbox is proven to be good to well over 300hp. The reason for the poor design is because the Subaru MAF sensor is VERY VERY sensitive. Subaru's also do not have BOV's, they have Diverter Valves (DV). By using a 100% venting BOV on one you will have momentary rich fueling during shifts, as well as the likelyness of a slower time. It has to do with how Subaru routes the air from the Diverter Valve. When you vent it to the atmosphere the ECU has already planned on it being back in the engine for combustion, but instead there is less air and the same amount of fuel.

You should maybe check out www.nasioc.com or even www.wrxfanatics.com

Most of the info related to WRX's and STi's is pertenant to the LegGT.

Rick

Oh yeah, I am not sure on the LegGT, but if it is anything like the STi the fuel system is already damn near maxed out.

jbiscuit
11-05-2004, 04:19 PM
well said Rick. The boost controller can be used to one's advantage and can work quite well if you excercise some precautions. You must "manually" prevent part throttle full boost as a manual boost controller ONLY opens the wastegate when the desired boost level is reached = bad when there is not enough fuel being delivered like Rick said. I had one on my wagon for about 8 months, running about 14.5psi. It took some getting used to as to how to drive the car and keep it from boosting like crazy under part throttle. Bust it can be done. I know of several people that have had them on WRX's for years without issue. You just have to be smart is all....which most american drivers are not this day and age and can damage their car relatively easy. I now rock Cobb's ECU in the wagon and have been for just about a year now without one glitch. The car drives, idles and starts like stock but the go-pedal has a lot more in it than stock due to the raised boost level, more aggressive fuel map and more aggressive timing. The nice thing about the Cobb Access ECU is the tune is safe guarded and retains all the factory knock retard capabilities in the incident of poor gas.

Subarus are very touchy cars to tune, but can be very capable as well. :banana

Pig Pen
11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
any one know what psi you can crank it up with a boost controller to run daily without upgrading internals?

30 pee ess eye!!!

Anyone else get a head ache deciphering Deciuses hidden codes???

Just curious, you go to to a University of Wisconsin system college, but you seem like you lack alot of things that jobs look for, like the ability to speak clearly and form sentences....I got it! You must be a Democratic protest sign maker!

TurboAWD2.0
11-06-2004, 02:09 AM
yellow wagon, i assume you drive a wrx wagon with the cobb reflash. i was wondering if it's the stage 2? if so... is the 600 worth it? :D

fireguyrick
11-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I had a Cobb vf34 93 octane map that I ran on my WRX. I liked it alot, very simple and worked well. I would have to say that if it were not for the fact that I seriously will need a custom tune for the STi, I would get a AccessPort again. The AccessPort just offers so many options, and with the AccessTuner coming some time in the near future, it has so many more options.

Rick

TurboAWD2.0
11-06-2004, 04:24 PM
**sorry for the hijack**
now on to getting a vf34, injectors, pump, and AP.... haha

thanks for the feedback on it. i was debating between the AP and the utec, but i guess i don't have the time to screw around with my fuel maps.

HP ADDICT
11-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Dont know how much help I can be but my dad bought a outback xt limited with the 2.5 turbo motor. 250hp 5 speed triptonic, its pretty damn quick for an outback. Brought it up to the hwy and got some ricers to ask wtf it was when I did a break boost launch on a tiburon gt v6 and a vtech civic and left them both at the lights bad. It is not the same setup as the forester xt and has more hp. I know some of the legacy gt's have hit high 13's with free mods. I was really impressed with it.

fireguyrick
11-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Dont know how much help I can be but my dad bought a outback xt limited with the 2.5 turbo motor. 250hp 5 speed triptonic, its pretty damn quick for an outback. Brought it up to the hwy and got some ricers to ask wtf it was when I did a break boost launch on a tiburon gt v6 and a vtech civic and left them both at the lights bad. It is not the same setup as the forester xt and has more hp. I know some of the legacy gt's have hit high 13's with free mods. I was really impressed with it.

Forester XT's have hit 13.9 stock with no free mods. At any rate, alot of the difference betweent the 2.5t Subaru engines is in the turbo and boost settings of the ECU. The STi has a vf39 bushing ~14.5psi, the Forester XT has a td04 (same as wrx) pushing ~11.5psi, the LegGt has a a vf40 iirc, but I am not 100% on the PSI....somewhere in the 13 psi area I believe. I do not know for sure, but I would believe that the OBXT would have the same engine set up as the LegGT. Also, the STi has the most aggressive AVCS map.

On a Dynojet a Legacy GT usually puts down stock ~196awhp and 216qwtq as compared to a Forester XT on a Mustang dyno (read lower than most other dynos) puts down ~192awhp and ~219awtq. Now I realize that Dyno's should purely be used as a tuning tool, and that if I really wanted to compare numbers I would use #'s from the same dyno, same operator, and same day...but that is REALLY hard to find :)

Either way they are all nice vehicles.

Rick

Al
11-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Deciuss---

Buy a 2 year old car w/ 30k on it and save 10,000$

Cryptic
11-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Deciuss---
Buy a 2 year old car w/ 30k on it and save 10,000$

w3rd

jbiscuit
11-08-2004, 08:22 AM
In reply to TurboAWD, yes I do have the Access ECU Stage II with the 93 octane map loaded on it. I love it. This is seriously how the WRX should have come from the factory. Its more responsive and the boost is a lot more linear, not peaky when it was stock. The car runs great and power feels really good for the stock turbo. Eventually I will go to the VF34 and injectors and remap the Access ECU from Cobb for those mods. But yes I do feel its worth the money.