PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin gas issue?

Lash
10-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Does anybody have any info on the stae of Wisconsin looking into the gas we get here and possible fuel injector problems?

I heard something about this from a mechanic friend as well as other friends. The mechanic said they are changing injectors in cars at least once a week. It's gotten so bad that injectors for some cars are on backorder. I just had to buy new injectors for my wifes Alero 3400.... my sisters 2001 saturn needs them too.

:wtf

Cryptic
10-22-2004, 11:44 PM
our lumina is running like sh!t. wouldnt pass emmssions. changed out everything but injectors... I'm not surprised.

Lash
10-22-2004, 11:45 PM
I saw a post on clubgp(I think...one of them GP sites :D) about this too.

T-Bag
10-23-2004, 12:53 AM
our lumina is running like sh!t. wouldnt pass emmssions. changed out everything but injectors... I'm not surprised.

Change out the injectors...trust me. My crap am had the same problems, the injectors in those 3.1's suck.

Lash
10-23-2004, 12:57 AM
New injectors for the 3.1 will run about $130 each.... or with a GM discount $75ish....sucks ass!!!

I got lucky. I got a set off of somebody I know....he bought his Grand Am new and put a S/C on it (so upgraded injectors also). I got 6 injectors with less than 10,000 miles on them for $60.

MoreTorque
10-23-2004, 01:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/gen/oct04/268069.asp

Now's a good time to be using: http://www.lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm

A B4C Z
10-23-2004, 02:18 AM
I replace injectors all the time on the 3100 and 3400 engines. Its common. Never see any other cars really comming in for them. I think it has somethnig to do with them being under that damn upper intake plenum or something. Why dont the cavilers come in that ofteN?

Also on saturns. I just personaly diagnoised 2 of them in the last week with shity injectors. I think its just certian motors myself.

Kyle

Rocket Power
10-23-2004, 09:06 AM
I did have a wierd problem a couple weeks ago where the Eighty Eight was seemed like it wasn't running on all cylinders (3800 Series 2) Thought it maybe the injectors. Ended up just getting mad and hammering on it and it cleared up :thumbsup
No probs since then and the Achieva (2.4 TC) hasn't had any probs.
The Achieva usually gets gassed up in Burlington since it's cheaper out there and that's where I work. But the Eighty Eight gets fueled locally.

Ricky Bobby
10-23-2004, 09:15 AM
i got a 94 cavy with the 3.1 in it never had a prob with the injectors *knocks on wood*

Flight_740
10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
It was the Multi port 3.1's and 2.8's that eat up injectors. The SFI 3.1 seems to be a little better.

wikked
10-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Weird, I was in the Falls Citgo Thursday and some old guy came in and he asked if anyone had complained of bad gas, because he just had to have his injectors replaced.
Meh, I stay away from "generic" gas stations like Citgo/Shell/etc. I figure they gotta be cheaper for a reason...like shìttier gas.

T-Bag
10-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Weird, I was in the Falls Citgo Thursday and some old guy came in and he asked if anyone had complained of bad gas, because he just had to have his injectors replaced.
Meh, I stay away from "generic" gas stations like Citgo/Shell/etc. I figure they gotta be cheaper for a reason...like shìttier gas.

It's actually been proven that Citgo has some of the best higher octane gas in the state of Wisconsin.

The more you know. :rockwoot:

Cryptic
10-23-2004, 02:04 PM
New injectors for the 3.1 will run about $130 each.... or with a GM discount $75ish....sucks ass!!!

I got lucky. I got a set off of somebody I know....he bought his Grand Am new and put a S/C on it (so upgraded injectors also). I got 6 injectors with less than 10,000 miles on them for $60.

are you saying you can get me 6 for cost? :puppyeyes
PM me if you can do anything for me.

Knyghtmare
10-23-2004, 02:26 PM
My friend works for Dodge Land, he said they are changin an odd amount of injectors as well. Supposedly with the gas prices like they are, the gas has more crude in it making it thicker and harder on the injectors.

theavenger333
10-23-2004, 02:33 PM
yeah, this rules, our gas is higher than ever, and now we are getting **** gas to boot. gotta love the gov! ****ers

DFJ6000
10-23-2004, 04:03 PM
**** i been thinkin bout creating a distillery and makin my own fuel, converting my vehicles over to it, but then the gov wood prolly bust me cuz they woodnt be makin n e money

TransAm12sec
10-24-2004, 01:06 AM
hydrogen

CruxGNZ
10-24-2004, 02:02 AM
So, does anybody know when they are phasing out this 10% Ethenol (sp?) crap? I heard a few years ago that they were going to phase it out over 5 years, because it was doing more harm than good. Is this actually taking place?

!M!

Al
10-24-2004, 02:42 AM
...or just have 95% ethanol or 0% regular at the gas stations.

As for hydrogen, it costs more to convert water into H and O than the price of gas. My idea was to buy a solar panel, stick it in the back yard, run two wires inside, and use the free energy of the sun to convert and store the H till I needed it. Other than the inefficiencies within the wires and elsewhere, about 95% of the energy would go to splitting the water and compressing it into storage tanks.

BTW-what is the deal with injectors costing so much on those early 90's GM's?

SMS 1
10-24-2004, 03:51 AM
GM 2.8, 3.1, and 3400 are going to eat injectors. Period. It has way more to do with the heat transfer than the fact of this shitass reform gas.

Gas in WI? Stop voting for liberal tree huggers at the EPA who think our cars pollute too much for the environment and hide test results. It is a proven fact (in Vermont anyway) that trees actually create more smog on so called "Ozone" days than the cars do. Something about CO2 byproduct levels. Either way Ethanol mix is LESS efficient than regular petro, so you use more. In the long run the reform crap will pollute MORE than the stuff everyone else uses. I blame this one on agricultural lobbyists.

Injector price? All injectors seem to be pretty expensive I dont think it's just the GM engines cornering the market on high prices.

Bad-TSi
10-24-2004, 06:03 PM
So, does anybody know when they are phasing out this 10% Ethenol (sp?) crap? I heard a few years ago that they were going to phase it out over 5 years, because it was doing more harm than good. Is this actually taking place?

!M!
God I hope they do. I'm all for that idea. This gas sucks. Go fill up with some non reformulated and you get like 5 more MPG at least.

My94r/t
10-24-2004, 07:05 PM
The injector issue has nothing to do with the gas we use. Its an engineering defect on the part of GM.

But I still hate the reform gas we use here. The blend they use down in Chicago is much better for the fuel systems as well as for mileage.

And even worse to add to the worse mileage, we have the highest gas tax in the country right here in WI.

Boy we get screwed from every angle. :rolleyes:

Teufelhunden
10-26-2004, 09:32 AM
It's actually been proven that Citgo has some of the best higher octane gas in the state of Wisconsin.

The more you know. :rockwoot:

Your source?

jbiscuit
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't Chevron be "better" gas than Citgo's? Granted I use Gitgo over anywhere else. BP sucks, I swear you are pumping the 93 but getting 89. My car runs terrible on BP gas.

Also, GM is having issues with the injectors because of the type of metal they choose to use on the inside of the injector. The high concentration of ethanol here in WI is prematurely corroding the metal causing the injector to fail...and in turn it needs to be replaced. 02Bonne and I just went through this issue a few weeks ago with his girlfriend's 1999 Malibu with the 3.1 in it. Its not necessarily a bad design, its just that we get screwed here in WI when those injectors are used in their cars. Its safe to say that GM won't be producing a "WI-friendly" injector anytime soon.

My94r/t
10-26-2004, 10:27 AM
I dont understand why they couldnt just use the same metals that they did in the 3.8L. The only motors that have injectors problems are the small v6's.
2.8, 3.1, 3.4.... According to part sales, its a nationwide problem, not just up here in WI.