PDA

View Full Version : a day wasted [rant warning]

Cryptic
10-10-2004, 08:48 PM
...putting a damn power window in a 2 dr Sunfire.

them things are a b!tch. I want to shoot the fvcker that decided to use 5 HARD and big stainless steal rivots. You can't punch them out (door to flimsy). You cant drill them out, (takes about half hour each).

I had to dremel them bastards off. Eventually I switched to an air powered grinder.

Then of course the new motor doesnt come with the bolts you need to re-mount. (off to hardware store, Ace fricken closed at 5. had to goto home depot). Trying to sqeeze the new bolts in while holding the motor/regulator up by yourself is no fun either.

no wonder dealer wants 400 bucks to do it.
[/rant]

*goes to fridge to intoxicate self*

Al
10-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I just finished installing a rebuilt alternator im my moms 00 Accord V-6. The real pain was that serpentine belt. Add to the hassle, my brother didn't have ath 13 or 14 mm wrench to get pull the tensioner with. Then you need to get the fan shroud off to pull the alternator out of the little area where it is mounted. I spent more time trying to figure out what to do and looking for a 10mm socket than making progress.

Well, I got ir done and saved my mom some $.

MY4RCDGSX
10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
...putting a damn power window in a 2 dr Sunfire.

them things are a b!tch. I want to shoot the fvcker that decided to use 5 HARD and big stainless steal rivots. You can't punch them out (door to flimsy). You cant drill them out, (takes about half hour each).

I had to dremel them bastards off. Eventually I switched to an air powered grinder.

Then of course the new motor doesnt come with the bolts you need to re-mount. (off to hardware store, Ace fricken closed at 5. had to goto home depot). Trying to sqeeze the new bolts in while holding the motor/regulator up by yourself is no fun either.

no wonder dealer wants 400 bucks to do it.
[/rant]

*goes to fridge to intoxicate self*

AH! That brings back days of working at the dealership. :fire I've had to deal with my fair share of GM window motors. They are indeed a b!tch. I feel your pain! :guns1

If it makes you feel any better, to do a window glass in a Mitsubishi, it usually requires stripping everything out of the door, along with the MIRROR (who the hell designs this crap?) to get it out. No comment on the amount of blood I spilled doing that job. Makes me glad that I'm out of the dealership now though.

Al
10-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Speaking of windows, my passenger side window of my integra is a bit slow (understatement). I might just take the inner panel off to see what is going on. Luckily, that integra was put together with the mechanic in mind. I don't think I have ever worked on an easier car.

My power antennae decided to make a crunching noise whenever I turned the radio on or off. So I disconnected the power cord to it while it was up. In order to remove the side panel, I needed to remove the panel underneath the hatch. It has a setup where there is a little plastic button with a screw in the middle. Remove the screw and the pin pops out followed by the panel. No glue or breaking plastic plugs there. Everythin then went back in without a problem.

My plan for the antenna is to get one of those VW ones and mount it on the roof.

y2kws6
10-10-2004, 10:39 PM
My sister had to replace one.....my dad assisted and looked at her and said "Pay the $350" Had the dealer do it. LOL

Dan

SMS 1
10-10-2004, 10:44 PM
HA! The dealer "book time" on those windows only pays like 1.2 hours total and even that sounds a little high to me. Can't remember since I haven't worked at the dealer for about 6 years now. Simple job actually, really sharp carbide drill bit, start drilling off center next to the center pin angleing the drill towrds the center. Drill until the center pin falls out or the bit goes all the way through. Then use a flat thin chisel to take the head off. 15minutes tops to get all four out if you got the right tools on hand.

To your credit though, it is a really stupid cheap ass design and can easily turn into a biotch of a job once in awhile. Glad you got'er done.

Magz
10-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for fixing my sunfire..I own ya..

:goof

Rocket Power
10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
The PW motor in my 97 4dr Achieva barely does anything, you may get it most of the way down but you better have the whole day to get it back up with pulling up on the glass while pushing the button. So I pull the door panel to investigate....... ummm , yeah. I can live with it like it is :goof

Al
10-10-2004, 10:46 PM
If I had a stronger impact, my tranny swap in my 5.0 would have taken 8 hours, not 8 days.

Bad-TSi
10-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah GMs can be gay like that with the rivets. One Grand Ams and **** (U-bodys I belive) they rivet in the ball joints. :rolleyes: Whole lotta fun those are to change.

MitchMeister-
10-11-2004, 08:15 AM
pfft. try removing the valve covers on a 87' TBI 2.8l v6 jimmy. half of the ignition system is directly over the left cover , and of course the bolt to remove the bracket holding the it is like half way down the back of the engine where no human can possibly have enough strength to remove the nearly 20 year old bolt from the engine block...

SMS 1
10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
pfft. try removing the valve covers on a 87' TBI 2.8l v6 jimmy. half of the ignition system is directly over the left cover , and of course the bolt to remove the bracket holding the it is like half way down the back of the engine where no human can possibly have enough strength to remove the nearly 20 year old bolt from the engine block...
Heh, you fix valve covers on those by removing the engine comletely and then throwing it in the garbage :goof