PDA

View Full Version : Hid projector upgrade.

03CVLX
03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
As the title says, i am doing going to do this to my 09 Expedition. I am in the parts collecting stage now. But, has anyone here ever done this project before? Looking to see if anyone with a bit more experience would be willing to give me a hand with the project. Due to the high cost of the headlamp assemblies on my truck, i basically have one shot at this. I really dont know how long this kind of project takes so, we can talk payment/lunch etc too.

Shoot me a pm or reply here if your willing to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC70SS
03-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Check out theretrofitsource.com message board. I know there are guys on there that will do them for you. Remember the reseal part is critical or moisture will get in.

03CVLX
03-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks

I will check that out. Hoping to learn how to do it myself vs pay to have it completely done. Its the 250 bucks a pop for headlight assemblies that has me hesitant.

spooln30
03-11-2015, 09:43 PM
I would think someone make upgraded headlights for these being it's a Ford. Have you checked for them online? Why not just go with HID's? Or better yet since it's a truck just get a LED light bar. I installed a little 7 inch 12 led light bar on my atv and just with 12 leds it's fn bright. Riding up north at night I can see very far ahead and it also illuminates the side of the trails about 8 feet each side. Now imagine a 54" light bar on your truck. Lol. Btw my bar is a Genssi and has worked flawlessly.

The Shaolin
03-12-2015, 07:59 AM
As the title says, i am doing going to do this to my 09 Expedition. I am in the parts collecting stage now. But, has anyone here ever done this project before? Looking to see if anyone with a bit more experience would be willing to give me a hand with the project. Due to the high cost of the headlamp assemblies on my truck, i basically have one shot at this. I really dont know how long this kind of project takes so, we can talk payment/lunch etc too.

Shoot me a pm or reply here if your willing to lend a hand.

It's really not that hard!
Try to get the lights to sit on your workbench the same angle that they sit on the truck, put the projectors into the back, turn em on, and line up the pattern on the wall...then try "tack welding" them in with a little bit of epoxy until you're confident they're straight, then seal em up. This should allow you some adjustments if you don't get them straight the first time.
As long as the cutoff is level between the two lights and the alignment is close to being the same between the two, the adjustment screws on the truck should take care of the rest!

I would think someone make upgraded headlights for these being it's a Ford. Have you checked for them online? Why not just go with HID's? Or better yet since it's a truck just get a LED light bar. I installed a little 7 inch 12 led light bar on my atv and just with 12 leds it's fn bright. Riding up north at night I can see very far ahead and it also illuminates the side of the trails about 8 feet each side. Now imagine a 54" light bar on your truck. Lol. Btw my bar is a Genssi and has worked flawlessly.

Light bars are for offroad use only.

DO NOT put HID's in halogen housings, or install a 54" LED bar. They blind everyone on the road and look awful. If you're going to put out a ton of light, do it responsibly.

03CVLX
03-12-2015, 08:59 PM

There are Aftermarket Headlight assemblies for the truck, but they look like Crap... My truck is a single 9008 bulb now, and the aftermarket lights use Dual H1s in two projectors. And they Have Halos.. Fine on a BMW coupe, but stupid as hell on an Expedition.

Not interested in sticking a 5 1/2 foot wide LED bar on the front of my truck. Im sure it works great in Off road situations like on your ATV, but I typically get my truck off road once a year if I am lucky. I want a nice Clean, HID setup, while still being Courteous to other drivers. My hesitation lies in yanking the lenses off the headlights, I really really don't wanna spend 250.00 bucks on a replacement if I crack it when pulling the lense.

03CVLX
03-12-2015, 09:03 PM
It's really not that hard!
Try to get the lights to sit on your workbench the same angle that they sit on the truck, put the projectors into the back, turn em on, and line up the pattern on the wall...then try "tack welding" them in with a little bit of epoxy until you're confident they're straight, then seal em up. This should allow you some adjustments if you don't get them straight the first time.
As long as the cutoff is level between the two lights and the alignment is close to being the same between the two, the adjustment screws on the truck should take care of the rest!

Thanks for the tips, it helps allot, The headlight assemblies are pretty huge on my truck, and suggestions on how long to heat them for to get the lenses off without cracking them?

The Shaolin
03-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the tips, it helps allot, The headlight assemblies are pretty huge on my truck, and suggestions on how long to heat them for to get the lenses off without cracking them?

I'd try an oven at like 200° for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes until they come apart.

Did you check out theretrofitsource? They have all the info I needed to do my retrofits on my bike and two cars. :)

03CVLX
03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks shaolin,

Retrofit source has been a big help but still a ton of info to try and sift through. Right now i decided to pick up a pair of so so quality headlight assemblies from the junkyard. Got a left for 35 bucks now gotta get the right side. This way its not a mad rush to complete the project. Once i have all the parts it is go time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shaolin
03-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Cool, probably not a bad idea.

Post up with progress pics, I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out!