PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wrench on Polaris ATVs?

MY FYN 79
03-08-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm helping a friend try to fix his 2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 atv. It keeps blowing apart CDI boxes. Like yes, physically blowing them apart.

Its actually a Chinese machine that Polaris lovingly slaps their name on and resells. It has an Aeon 200cc 4 cycle engine in it. All the diagnostics so far have came out good on what I believe the problem is, but there is transmission lube leaking into the well where the gear selector switch sits. That tells the ignition system if its in reverse to enable the rev limiter. I'm guessing lube shouldn't be leaking in there but have no idea. Factory service manual doesn't cover this.

Any chance that someone is knowledgeable with this?? TIA!

spooln30
03-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Any pics of where the leak is? I might be able to help as I have a atv and work on my pops Polaris but mine is a Arctic Cat. Another good idea is to join a Polaris forum. I'm a member on a Arctic Cat forum and there are many knowledgeable people on them.

MY FYN 79
03-13-2015, 04:48 AM
http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_junkcarparts/5502589160621/PhoenixLeak.jpg

There was no seeping or weeping until I pulled out the gear selector switch. I tried a couple Polaris forums but the problem is there is next to no support for this Chinese POS when something breaks.

spooln30
03-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Is there an oring on the gear switch? I don't think this would cause the cdi box to melt. I think the stator is sending too much current through the cdi box. From what I gathered searching about the 2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 it seems that they have issues with electrical parts like melting wires and components. They also seem to be money pits I would get rid of it and buy a better atv.

MY FYN 79
03-16-2015, 09:18 AM
There is an O-ring. I'm not saying the fluid leak (if it is a leak) is causing the CDI to blow up. Its deeper than that. The shift selector switch is in there and that's tied in with the CDI and regulator etc to kick in the rev limiter when the machine is in reverse. It has the rev limiter all the time except for when you jump the ETC... which is exactly backwards of what its designed to do. The ETC (Electronic throttle control) is set up as a normally open switch that if the throttle hangs up the switch will "make" and kick in the rev limiter slowing you down to a crawl. This thing has the limiter when the switch is open and no limiter when the switch is closed. Crazy shit right here.

I actually worked on it a little last night and saw that the main fuse holder off the battery is melted down too... but the 15 amp fuse in it wasn't popped. Only warped.

Machine isn't mine and he wants to fix it. I told him to sell it the first time it popped the CDI box and I looked online at the nightmares people have with these things.