PDA

View Full Version : Taxes.

05caddyext
02-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Anyone filed a tax return for someone that passed away during the previous year? Trying to use Turbotax, also tried TaxSlayer. Both give conflicting information about what I need to do. There is a form that I have to fill out, which Turbotax doesn't support online, that has to be mailed to the IRS. I am the only heir to the estate, and nothing had to be filed with the state of WI because total assets were under $50,000. So I have nothing to prove that I am the executor of the Will, or the only heir, other than her original Will. Only problem, the state doesn't consider the Will as proof of executor ship for the estate. I had to fill out a Transfer by Affidavit form in order to get the few assets she had released from her bank, but that paperwork doesn't get filed with the state, you just keep a copy of it with your information. I didn't have to go through probate, because once again, there was under $50,000 in total assets, and no real estate involved. So I am stuck. Guess I am going to have to go to a real accountant, which obviously costs a lot more, and takes much more time. Her tax situation was not too complicated, she had a simply mutual fund, money from the state employee trust fund through a divorce, alimony from divorce, social security disability, (she had very severe Rheumatoid Arthritis), and that's it for income. She paid no property taxes, etc.

Anyone ever done this before? Accountant going to be the best route I am assuming.

Secondly, for my taxes. I did not have health insurance last year, at any point. I worked at 2 different jobs, that did not offer it. I was unemployed from October through the present. Both tax programs give widely differing refunds by answering the same questions the same way. Once again, there is some form that has to be filled out for exemptions to the health care act. Neither support them online. Can't seem to get a straight answer about what the actual penalty is for not having insurance, ( I knew there would be one, still way less than paying a premium every month.) I am worried about being audited again. Happened a few years ago when H&R Block screwed up my taxes, had to file an amended return to include the Home Buyer Credit. Somehow they totally missed it. That triggered an audit, which was awful.

Sorry for the long rant. But I honestly hate tax time. Especially trying to file for a person I can't ask any questions of.

SSDude
02-01-2015, 05:07 PM
My family, friends and myself have been using MMS Tax Services for the last 8 years. Very knowledgeable, reasonably priced and does electronic filing. I thing he was charging $55 for my return that includes several different forms for deductions and capital gains. Registered tax preparer http://www.ptindirectory.com/tax-preparers/wisconsin/oak-creek-wi/974026/mms-tax-service-llc/charles-j-szubielski-ea
Give him a call 414-764-6126 Tell him Dave Anhalt referred you. Its always nice to know where your referrals come from. (I do not benefit from referrals, I recommend services I've been happy with)