PDA

View Full Version : want to build a stang

05caddyext
12-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Pretty simple. I've got a 2000 mustang gt with 86,000 miles. Motor is all stock. I've got 4.10 gears, 5 speed. I'd like to make a fun street car. What do you recommend doing. I'd like to stay around 3500-4k tops. Here's the catch. I'd like to have someone do it. I want to drop it off, and not have it back until everything is good. Bugs out, etc. Just want to drive the car. Not going to be a track car, just want a fun street car. I do currently run a Diablo sport 93 tune also, I've got the handheld module. Suggestions on whow to go to, and ballpark $$.

Old Guy
12-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Do you want it to stay all ford or do you want it to be a real fun driver?

05caddyext
12-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Def not putting a chevy engine in it if thats where you are going.

Prince Valiant
12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
At that price point you'll probably be limited to intake/throttle body, cam, requisite valve springs, headers, full exhaust, and a tune...which will make for a nice bump, but still probably a low 13 second car...maybe high 12 w/ the 4.10's.

Heads/headwork and intake manifold would certainly help a bit more, but they aren't cheap. I think I saw trick flow PI heads for 2G+ bucks. Improved intake manifold around 900...

05caddyext
12-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Here is what is done to it already

Steeda SRI Cold Air Intake with K&N Cone Filter
New timing chains and guides and sprockets
Diablosport 93 Octane Performance tune, programmer with data logger included
BBK Catted X Pipe with Flowmaster mufflers. No tailpipes, but has turn-downs
New Harmonic Balancer and idler pulleys

Aluminum Ford Racing driveshaft with new U joints
Steeda Ball Joints
Level 8 17x9 and 17x10.5 rims with Nitto 555 tires. Drag radials in rear
Cobra brakes front and rear. Slotted rotors and Russell Stainless lines
Exedy clutch replaced 2k miles ago. New Ford Racing throwout bearing and clutch fork
Ford Racing adjustable clutch quadrant cable
Steeda Tri-Ax short throw sifter
Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
Eibach Sport Line suspension setup (shocks and springs) matched.
Steeda bump steer kit
Ford Racing 4:10 gears with new bearings. Basically brand new rear-end, new locker.
AEM A/F gauge with vacuum
Autometer oil pressure gauge.

spooln30
12-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Coyote engine. :)

05caddyext
12-16-2014, 06:21 AM
I'd love to put one in a fox, not this car. If anything I'd do a 4v but that's just too much $$ to spend on this car.

Old Guy
12-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Their are options to go fast for the budget you plan on spending. Just keep the hood closed and don't tell you friends.

Wagonbacker9
12-16-2014, 01:36 PM
cam, nitrous, tune?

Irish
12-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Ugh.. This guy with pushing the chevy swap..

You can buy a used centri-kit for that price. Find a tuner you trust and have them email tune it.

I suggest renting dyno time for the tune. Safety reasons.

05caddyext
12-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Never ran nitrous before, always worried I'd blow something sky high. What's safer? Wet? Dry? First modular motor I've owned. Had 10 mustangs before this, never ran nitrous.

blackmage
12-17-2014, 10:25 AM
on3 turbo kit.

Prince Valiant
12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
on3 turbo kit.
surprised by the price (~1800). He might be able to have that installed within budget. Good call.

blackmage
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
surprised by the price (~1800). He might be able to have that installed within budget. Good call.

the only catch is, i think he'll need to get a k-member which could bump the price of that up a little bit. Either way, I have a friend down near Beloit who put it on his basically stock 94 5.0 and made a little over 400 to the wheels. pretty awesome for a bolt on system with not a lot of upgrades.

buyer beware, its still a cheap system though. I have no first hand experience with it, but take it for what its worth. With that being said, i really cannot wait to get one for my 4v

Waver
12-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Never ran nitrous before, always worried I'd blow something sky high. What's safer? Wet? Dry? First modular motor I've owned. Had 10 mustangs before this, never ran nitrous.
Personally, I wouldn't run spray on a 2v. The composite intakes are already known to warp and crack, and with yours being a 2000 if it hasn't been replaced, that should be the first thing you should do (the replacement intakes have the aluminum cross over).

Ugh.. This guy with pushing the chevy swap..

You can buy a used centri-kit for that price. Find a tuner you trust and have them email tune it.

I suggest renting dyno time for the tune. Safety reasons.I agree with Irish on this one. For what you are looking to spend you might even be able to find a good deal on a tuner kit new.

on3 turbo kit.

the only catch is, i think he'll need to get a k-member which could bump the price of that up a little bit. Either way, I have a friend down near Beloit who put it on his basically stock 94 5.0 and made a little over 400 to the wheels. pretty awesome for a bolt on system with not a lot of upgrades.

buyer beware, its still a cheap system though. I have no first hand experience with it, but take it for what its worth. With that being said, i really cannot wait to get one for my 4vI believe that UPR makes a rather inexpensive K member so that could work.

95mustang302
12-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Im with old guy, the chevy swap is the best bang for the buck... but telling people you did it ruffles everyones feathers. For that budget and not wanting to get dirty severly restricts options and it will still be slow.

GHOSST
12-26-2014, 06:29 AM
I think he can pull a "fun street car", out of the price range. Limited yes, but fun is a personal perspective. I'd go with the on3 turbo kit if I were you, seems like the best bang for your buck, even with the K-member cost included. 400+hp is definitely fun for the street in a car that light. (not fun for a 5th gen boat)

-stew-
12-26-2014, 02:28 PM
I think wanting someone else to do the labor really is holding you back. I think a frugal guy could 4V that car and put a blower on it for the budget of four grand, if he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

If it was me and I had $4,000 to put into that car I'd I'd do Maximuim Motorsports k-member, control arms, front and rear Bilstein coil overs, solid steering shaft, bump steer kit, panhard bar and torque arm, MM rear lower control arms, and SS brake lines.

05caddyext
12-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Was the last post a joke? Anyway I'm not afraid to get dirty. I know nothing about these motors. I'd love to work with someone who actually knows what they are doing with them. I've pulled a few 302s before, this motor is like foreign language to me. Car has a lot of the stuff mentioned in the last post, none of which I did. It sits exactly how I bought it.

blackmage
12-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Was the last post a joke? Anyway I'm not afraid to get dirty. I know nothing about these motors. I'd love to work with someone who actually knows what they are doing with them. I've pulled a few 302s before, this motor is like foreign language to me. Car has a lot of the stuff mentioned in the last post, none of which I did. It sits exactly how I bought it.

If you ever need to bounce some questions around on the 4.6 let me know. I've owned 4 94-04 cars and have swapped a couple 4v motors into gt's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OxmanWI
12-28-2014, 08:42 PM
There is a Procharger supercharger kit for sale on the Chicago Craigslist for 1700. It's for a 96-98 GT but you can find the supporting bracket For The 99+ on ebay. That with a trick flow intake manifold, lightning MAFS, injectors, and dynotune For At Or Under $4K.

05caddyext
01-28-2015, 09:01 PM
How hard are headers to do on these? I can't even see the passenger side manifold. Looks like a nightmare to get at. What do you recommend? Equal length shorty, unequal, long tube? I might just go back to a fox body in all honesty. I've had 10 of them. A lot easier to work on, and there are so many parts available for them. I have no idea how to even begin working on this motor.

blackmage
01-30-2015, 06:05 AM
How hard are headers to do on these? I can't even see the passenger side manifold. Looks like a nightmare to get at. What do you recommend? Equal length shorty, unequal, long tube? I might just go back to a fox body in all honesty. I've had 10 of them. A lot easier to work on, and there are so many parts available for them. I have no idea how to even begin working on this motor.

Theyre kind of a pain... which is an understatement. You can do it without dropping the stock k-member, but you will want to start the car on fire. drop the k-member, support the motor, and the headers will be easier. I would go long tubes if youre going that far.

Gregor
01-30-2015, 06:53 AM
If your going to install a K member go with a good one like Maximum Motorsport. Nothing is funnier than a weld breaking on one of the cheaper ones.

-stew-
02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
That actually doesn't sound funny at all.

Wagonbacker9
02-03-2015, 11:19 AM
That actually doesn't sound funny at all.

Funny for people not in the car or in its direct path probably...

Waver
02-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Theyre kind of a pain... which is an understatement. You can do it without dropping the stock k-member, but you will want to start the car on fire. drop the k-member, support the motor, and the headers will be easier. I would go long tubes if youre going that far. I would also suggest the Bassani mid length headers as they are a little easier to install as each tube goes on individually. They also give you all the benefits of a Long tube. The down side is they are pricey ($700 or more unless you can find them used) and you will have to run the Bassani catless x as well.

Irish
02-18-2015, 11:41 AM
I would also suggest the Bassani mid length headers as they are a little easier to install as each tube goes on individually. They also give you all the benefits of a Long tube. The down side is they are pricey ($700 or more unless you can find them used) and you will have to run the Bassani catless x as well.

They do not give you all the benefits of a long tube header. Too many variables to make that claim.

animal
02-18-2015, 12:56 PM
You guys got irish to bite... is it the first 2015 shitstorm thread? :rolf

Irish
02-18-2015, 01:12 PM
You guys got irish to bite... is it the first 2015 shitstorm thread? :rolf

Wish we had a like button.

05caddyext
02-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Car is for sale.

GHOSST
02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
So after all that, your selling it? What happened.

animal
02-19-2015, 12:33 PM
So after all that, your selling it? What happened.

I heard it was cause headlights are a real bear to find for it. :goof

Wagonbacker9
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
And rear wings.

animal
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
And rear wings.

No, those are just too hot selling to hold on to. :rolf

05caddyext
02-19-2015, 01:47 PM
After all what? Asking a few questions? And yeah I was pissed about not getting the parts I said I'd clearly buy. The car has smoked headlights with halos, can't see shit at night. The parts were an excellent deal. You'd be pissed if you said youd take something and when you hear back they are sold. Oh, and I'm selling because I lost my job.

05caddyext
02-19-2015, 02:03 PM
I think we are actually about due for a 20 page thread don't you? I guess I just still have integrity when I sell things. Sure people have burned me in the past, it's probably happened to everyone. That's why I don't do it to people. If someone says they are interested in something, I give them ample opportunity to get it. Does it take a little longer, sure, but that's just how I operate. I have also backed out on sales in the past, I am sure a lot of us have. That's why when I sell something, or buy something, I make my intentions clear, and I stick to them. I understand that it's hard when you've got shit posted in 100 different places, and you get 100 emails on the stuff, but I make it work. I buy and sell a lot of stuff, I go in the order I receive stuff. And if I don't have time to be fair, then I don't post shit in 100 different places. Sometimes, if it's something I think you guys would want, I only post it here for a while first, before I post it every where. Every person Ive dealt with from this site has been cool, never had a bad experience until this time. Can I find the parts elsewhere? No doubt. But that's not the point right? When you find a deal, you go for it. I sent 3 separate emails asking when the guy was available and location. All I got back at first were prices, and not even for both items I asked about. Then I asked again when available and heard nothing. So I emailed again and was told 4-8pm that night or something, the email was received at like 2pm. That was Sunday I believe. The first time I asked about when the guy was available was Friday. So yeah, I think I've got a decent right to be pissed. Just my .02, which is absolutely worthless.

Wagonbacker9
02-20-2015, 07:22 AM
You do realize you may not have even been the first to express interest in those parts, right? Without access to his email you have no way of knowing and even if you were.. someone else showed up with money before you did.. OH WELL! So why don't you just move on? Seriously, you dwell on this like someone killed your puppy or something.

05caddyext
02-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Oh no, this is all I've thought about for the whole week. I can't eat, I can't sleep. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do without those parts. I was thinking about jumping off my roof but there is too much snow, it would just soften my fall.

I actually thought this was a decent place to air a grievance. I agree, wasn't the guy who showed up with cash first, someone else did 3 days later because I never got an answer. That's all I know. But I'm perfectly fine, just was responding to the jokes.

Wagonbacker9
02-20-2015, 09:09 AM
The fact that you think you have a grievance is the part that I just don't get.

05caddyext
02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Why you don't think that I do is what I don't get. I clearly stated that I would take the headlights and the spoiler in my email. Never once did I get one back saying I've got someone else interested in it, come get it before they do. I asked multiple times when could I come get it, when are you available. This means I want it. That means as a seller, common courtesy would be to hold on to it. I would have come that day, which was Friday. I didn't hear back until Sunday afternoon that I could come that night, but it they were already sold. So why would I come then? You sold the parts I was interested in, that I had already clearly said "I will take them. When are you available." That's pretty clear right? I would have gone to the guys house right away, and I asked multiple times when I could. I am not currently working, so I could have gone immediately. I didn't hear an answer to when I could come get them until Sunday. I understand holding on to stuff sucks, but it wasn't necessary... I never asked him to hold anything. I said I wanted the parts. I never said hey can you hold them a few days, I said when are you available. Next time I heard anything they were sold. That's my grievance. Please explain how that isn't justified.

OxmanWI
02-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Great thread

Wagonbacker9
02-20-2015, 11:50 AM
I clearly stated that I would take the headlights and the spoiler in my email. Never once did I get one back saying I've got someone else interested in it, come get it before they do.

Under no paradigm outside of your own consciousness does this constitute a binding contract. Build a bridge... get over it.

I've played the "nice guy" and "held onto" stuff that people agreed to take. I still have plenty of it at my house, much to the irritation of my wife. I offered a 93 chevy grill FOR FREE. I had at least 3 people say they were coming to pick it up. Still got it! Want one? Or a damaged 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege front lip.. Pretty rare item. Same story. Its been in my garage rafters awaiting pickup from someone who said they'd come get it for about 3 and a half years.

My point "I'll take it" counts for shit.

-stew-
02-20-2015, 12:56 PM
He has every right to be pissed. Mustang head lights and spoilers are really hard to get. You can't just go on Craigslist and find someone selling parts. Or call around to some junkyards and find some. Hard to find stuff! There's only three companies I can think of right off the top of the head that only sell late model Mustang parts. And ebay is so complicated. "Buy it now!" I mean really, who does that?

animal
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
:popcorn

animal
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
BTW caddy, sent you a PM on those parts I am holding for you....

05caddyext
02-20-2015, 03:46 PM
/Nevermind. Not worth bitching about anymore. If you'd actually read what I wrote it would make more sense. My entire point is that I never asked him to hold anything. I said Id take the shit. I asked when I could come. Not hey hold shit for me til I get money. No. When can I come get it? I want it. When I got a response, 2 days later, they were sold.

05caddyext
02-20-2015, 03:47 PM
I sent you a pm back animal. Never got anything else from you. I'd like to see some pics. I am interested for sure, but won't give an answer without seeing them first.