PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt recall/trade in

oneslowcamino
07-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Quick question for the guys out there working at the GM dealerships. I've got a 2006 Cobalt that has the ignition switch recall, I was wondering if GM is offering any incentives for trading it in vs. having the recall done. Its only got about 155k on it and I think I can get another year to a year and a half out of it.

penji04
07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
The recall should be done if your trading it in or not. I'm sure no offers or incentives will be given for trading it in but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm still waiting for the dealer to get the part for my 07 ss/sc and its about two months out.

brotherbenn83
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
The cost of the recall is relatively low, you ARE able to get yourself a free rental car while your parts are on order. We have been seeing anywhere between 4 and 10 weeks to get parts in. The only time I have seen GM incentivize a trade is on a Saturn Vue or ION with a blown up CVT trans. Go get your free rental!

oneslowcamino
07-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I might have to do that

blackmage
07-07-2014, 06:43 AM
no trade-in incentives up here for that at our Chevy dealer.

GHOSST
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but is there a true recall on 2010-up Camaro's for the same thing or similar? Social media was flooded with it, but when we called Lynch Chevrolet by us, they said no such re-call was ordered, and we'd get a letter in the mail if it was. Did realize recalls worked that way, but I was more interested in the fact she said it wasn't a real recall. Got any info blackmage?

Wagonbacker9
07-08-2014, 08:35 AM
The camaro recall was for the key/fob assembly if I heard correctly. Because I guess you can bump it into the off position?? and they issue you a standard separate key/fob as a replacement.

GHOSST
07-08-2014, 10:01 AM
The camaro recall was for the key/fob assembly if I heard correctly. Because I guess you can bump it into the off position?? and they issue you a standard separate key/fob as a replacement.

Yup, this is what we heard too, but Lynch Chevrolet couldn't confirm it. We looked liked fools.

blackmage
07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
This is what I pulled up, Recall Bulletin 14294A

"CONDITION

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2010-
2014 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles. There is a risk, under certain conditions, that
some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away
from the “run” position. If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and
power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement
out of the “run” position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event,
may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain
kinds of crashes.
Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that drivers adjust their seat and steering
column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key.

CORRECTION

Dealers are to remove the key blade from the original flip key/RKE transmitter assemblies
provided with the vehicle, and provide two new keys and two key rings per key.
"

blackmage
07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
That was published to us on June 26th 2014. /\

there is also this recall for 2014 models, released on the 25th of June. Bulletin 14378

"CONDITION

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain
2014 model year Buick Regal, Cadillac XTS, and Chevrolet Camaro and Impala vehicles. Some
of these vehicles may have fasteners that are not torqued to specifications at the interface of the
intermediate shaft and the steering gear and/or at the lower control arm to the lower ball joint. If
these fasteners are improperly torqued, they could back out and the vehicle could exhibit loss of
steering and lead to a crash.

CORRECTION

Dealers are to inspect the joints and verify the torque on the fastener.
"

blackmage
07-08-2014, 01:52 PM
they issue you a standard separate key/fob as a replacement.

this is correct, they take the blade off of the flip out fob, and they attach it to a key and reprogram a new fob.

blackmage
07-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Thought i would share this in here as long as we're talking about Camaro's.

"Please make sure all Parts Counter People are aware of this information.

With the launch of the new Camaro Z/28, approximately 40 different Z/28 specific parts will be placed on restriction. This action is being taken to protect the vehicle’s brand and customer’s investment by preventing the “cloning” of the Z/28.

When a restricted Z/28 specific part is required (warranty or customer pay), the Parts Dept. must contact the PQC before the part order will be processed. PIC5893 will be viewable in SI starting Friday, April 18th and will contain the list of restricted parts. When placing an order for a restricted part, the Parts Department counter person will be responsible for providing the following information to the PQC agent:

Warranty Repair Order or Customer Pay Parts Counter Sales Ticket Number
The VIN of the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Part Number being ordered
Customer’s last name

Part orders for the restricted parts will be monitored and reported to the Camaro Program Team, GM Regional Warranty Managers and appropriate Field personnel.

Z/28 parts replaced for warranty, will be requested back through the parts return process, for analysis.

We appreciate your support and cooperation. "

Wagonbacker9
07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Any idea what will be on that list? I ask only out of curiosity.

Also, as a customer wouldn't it my right to have the parts replaced? Or is that invalidated when the warranty pays (never owned factory warrantied car)?

blackmage
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Any idea what will be on that list? I ask only out of curiosity.

Also, as a customer wouldn't it my right to have the parts replaced? Or is that invalidated when the warranty pays (never owned factory warrantied car)?

which list in particular? as for the parts replaced, they get rid of the original fob and give you new ones. So the only thing you still retain from before the recall is the key blade. You basically have no say in it unless you're really want something else done, but even then, whatever you want the dealer will probably have you pay the extra expense. Unless you're really pissy about something, and threaten to sue, they may pick up the tab.

Wagonbacker9
07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
which list in particular? as for the parts replaced, they get rid of the original fob and give you new ones. So the only thing you still retain from before the recall is the key blade. You basically have no say in it unless you're really want something else done, but even then, whatever you want the dealer will probably have you pay the extra expense. Unless you're really pissy about something, and threaten to sue, they may pick up the tab.

I meant for the Z28 list.

blackmage
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I meant for the Z28 list.

Ah my bad, let me see if I can dig anything up on it.

spooln30
07-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Wait so the dealers are giving you another GM car for a rental. Lol No thanks.

OxmanWI
07-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I have a 06 cobalt too, I've been waiting a couple months for my part to get in since I called. So you can get a free rental while waiting for your part to get in? I'll take a Camaro and beat the shit out of it.