PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bumper Bodywork

CATNHAT
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Need to get some scratches removed/repaired. Looking for someone in Lake Country/Waukesha. Not looking to repaint the entire bumper or car. Thinking this may be able to be accomplished with masking and airbrush--wetsand--repeat and buff out. 3 scratches 2 vertical and 1 right on the edge.
TIA

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/catnhatfan/20140529_195220_zps1fed50e9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/catnhatfan/media/20140529_195220_zps1fed50e9.jpg.html)

spooln30
06-04-2014, 01:07 AM
How deep are they? My friend bought one of those magic pens and it actually worked pretty darn good. It looked better then if you were to use a brush type touch-up paint. I am not sure what the pen was called but it was one of "as seen on tv" deals. I think he got it from Walgreens. Lol. They also have the brush/pen touch-up paints and I've used the pen on scratches and it worked ok.

95 TA - The Beast
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I have something similar on the rear bumper of my MKS near the center. It is a deeper gouge that is maybe 1/8" at it's widest. When I bought the car I could tell they used touch up paint, but couldn't tell how good/bad it was...

Well, once it warmed up out I buffed the car and noticed that area was really soft compared to the rest and the "touch-up" they used basically buffed completely out. So I have an area that needs the same kind of treatment.

I have hard good things about that stuff that you dab on, smear and then buff to remove paint chips. It is supposed to be damn near impossible to tell since it is a thicker paint that basically cures hard. On the one car I seen it used on I saw it when it was done using their 'proscribed" method of application as well as being put on, letting it cure and wet-sanding. The wet-sanded method was damn near impossible to tell it was even touched up. The "proscribed" method was pretty good as well, just on some of the spots it was not at the exact same level as the surrounding paint and you could tell close up. From 3 feet away you couldn't tell (I do believe that is because of the way they formulate the pigmentation to provide a bit more of a light-enhancment effect on the edges, almost as if it was cleared after application). The guy that did it also mentioned he clay-bars the car at least once a year and buffs it if needed, and that the touch-up seems to hold up really well.

95 TA - The Beast
06-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Forgot to mention, I may try that "chip fill" stuff on the bumper on the MKS and then wet-sanding... They don't list my MKS color code so it is a wait once it is ordered. I am hoping the thicker aspect of it will allow it to fill in a little. I figure multiple applications over a couple weeks period of time should hopefully allow it to cure in-between "coats" and allow for a decent "repair".