PDA

View Full Version : Elio Motors

penji04
03-13-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.eliomotors.com/

They're converting the old GM Hummer plant for production. Claiming 84mpg hwy, anticipated 5 star crash rating and 90% American sourced parts for Under $7k new. kinda interesting.

awsomeears
03-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Prince will be all over it !!!

I for one would really consider it, if my girl friend wants one I would buy one, as much as she drives it will pay for itself in a few years vs the cost.

I for one would like to see another car manufacture that does it in simple formula, basic car with a ton of MPG for a affordable price

Ricky Bobby
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM
broadside in that thing is not gonna feel good

WickedSix
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I wonder what the ton-mpg is on this thing. I can see it being useful for single commuters with little to no payload who don't or can't ride a motorcycle instead.

GTSLOW
03-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Are there any actual pictures of the thing? All I saw was computer generated crap.

Gregor
03-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Broadsided? Hell that thing would get punted.

JOHN 86GT
03-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Are there any actual pictures of the thing? All I saw was computer generated crap.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130508/CARNEWS/130509805

I think it is a great idea although I doubt they will be able to sell it that cheap.

"The vehicle can be registered as a motorcycle because it has less than four wheels, but Elio says most states will not require a motorcycle license to operate the vehicle, although but the company still recommends checking with your state."

Some states may require the use of a helmet and that would kill sales in those state .

Irish
03-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Death trap.

-stew-
03-16-2014, 09:32 AM
No worse than a motorcycle, and actually a bit safer. I find a motorcycle to be a pain in the ass for commuting. I could see one of these elios being awesome in a place where it could be used year round.

GTSLOW
03-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Oh yeah 5 star safety rating my ass. Maybe if they build a small cage in that thing. Or maybe their betting that when it gets hit the thing is so light that it just goes flying the other way.

pOrk
03-16-2014, 10:33 AM
I agree with Stew. Motorcycles are fun, but not in the rain / snow / 110 degree hot humid summer days. This is a cool concept, and the price is right. Needs a cargo rack or trunk, looks like putting things into the back seat could be a pain in the ass.

There are a few videos of this thing floating around

pOrk
03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Nan, it has a cage built into it. Read much?

awsomeears
03-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Imagine all the Pizza delivery guys buying these, gas aint Cheap !

GTSLOW
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Nan, it has a cage built into it. Read much?

Negative I failed high school.

-stew-
03-17-2014, 09:01 AM
I used my words and sounded things out and it says you can fit a set of golf clubs in it. And it says it has a cocoon of airbags to protect the occupants.

WickedSix
03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
when do we get the spray foam crash insulation like in demolition man?

depending on how testing goes I'd probably buy one. I'd love to kill my 500 a month gas habbit....

tommyt5078
03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Read much hit the home run........................

http://www.eliomotors.com/#store

Rocket Power
03-18-2014, 11:54 AM
The 5 star rating, for the frontal anyway, just about meaningless. Unless you're going to go head on into a golf cart. How many similar sized vehicles to this are you going to hit?

Prince Valiant
03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Prince will be all over it !!!
If it comes out, I will.

GTSLOW
03-22-2014, 07:32 PM
The 5 star rating, for the frontal anyway, just about meaningless. Unless you're going to go head on into a golf cart. How many similar sized vehicles to this are you going to hit?

I by no means pay attention to crash test ratings. So let me get this right. It has a high rating in crashing against the same weight/type of car?

Prince Valiant
03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I by no means pay attention to crash test ratings. So let me get this right. It has a high rating in crashing against the same weight/type of car?If the crash occurs against an immovable object, then yes...the physics are of crashing into a vehicle of same weight, same speed. The NHSTA uses a star rating system and performs a frontal crash and side impact crash to give it the star rating...the frontal is into an immovable object, while the side impact is using a 3500lb sled. They also slide the vehicle sideways into an immovable pole.

None of the test from either IIHS or NHTSA use frontal test, offset/overlap or otherwise that reflects crashes into anything other than a car of the exact same wt traveling the exact same speed. So Big trucks used to get only okay ratings, while small cars got 5 stars, even though real world statistics show bigger vehicles tend to be much safer in collisions.

I just never understand the "it's not safe" retort about microcars and this elio from those who either ride or wouldn't think twice about riding motorcycles :confused

Rocket Power
03-22-2014, 10:03 PM
In a frontal NCAP test the rating is against cars in the same weight class.
My last job was at a crash test facility. :)

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+FAQ#thirteen

5-Star Safety Ratings Test Procedures

13. How does NHTSA perform the frontal crash test?
Crash test dummies representing an average-sized adult male and a small-sized adult female are placed in the driver and front passenger seats, respectively, and are secured with seat belts. Vehicles are crashed into a fixed barrier at 35 miles per hour (mph), which is equivalent to a head-on collision between two similar vehicles each moving at 35 mph.

Instruments measure the force of impact to each dummy’s head, neck, chest, pelvis, femur (legs), and feet. The frontal crash rating is an evaluation of injury to the head, neck, chest, and femur (legs) for the driver and right front seat passenger. Since the frontal crash test reflects a crash between two similar vehicles, only vehicles from the same weight class, plus or minus 250 pounds, can be compared when looking at frontal crash ratings.

Rocket Power
03-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I just never understand the "it's not safe" retort about microcars and this elio from those who either ride or wouldn't think twice about riding motorcycles :confused

I never thought of motorcycles as "safe", just fun. :)

Tiny cars are no fun to me personally.

95 TA - The Beast
03-22-2014, 10:47 PM
For someone who has multiple clients to see in a day and a bunch of mileage a year in commuting, it sounds absolutely awesome.

If it comes out we will most certainly buy one.

Hopefully this is the start of getting some of the other automakers to buy into smaller capacity, higher mileage cars with pricetags that are inline with the reduction in size/capacity...

Honestly, the Elio isn't that small overall... seems to be just a narrower body, but the front wheelbase seems fairly normal as well as a normal car length... Fit/finish/reliability and overall driving feel will be the main determining factors for many.

Prince Valiant
03-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Tiny cars are no fun to me personally.
Ever ride in a lotus elise? Ariel Atom? Ridiculously small, ridiculously fun.

Rocket Power
03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Nope. But an atom and the like aren't really the same thing as commuting in a smart car or similar.

95 TA - The Beast
03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Ever ride in a lotus elise? Ariel Atom? Ridiculously small, ridiculously fun.

I concur... Great fun...

I just could never justify the high cost/lack of functionality... At least in the sports cars we have, I can fit 3 passengers in along with a driver...

Something that is just a one or two seater has to have an economy aspect to justify its purchase. Along with a pricetag to make it a nobrainer... Get over $10k and that is just too much...

Prince Valiant
03-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Nope. But an atom and the like aren't really the same thing as commuting in a smart car or similar.And I wouldn't consider the elio at the efficiency or price of a smart car either... but 38mpg vs 84 mpg though is not even close. Nor is the MSRP of 6800 vs 13000 (if I came across a smart car used for 4G though...I'd consider it).

But having had an two seat insight, a datsun 310, a ACR version of the neon, there really is a ton of fun to be had in small cars. I've had cars as large as a 72 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 440 TNT v8 (as the song says, big as a whale...)
to an all AL insight; each have their charm....but definitely the small cars were much easier to live with on a daily basis.

I'd totally get something like a moped for my commute, but it's one of those things that they have such limited use (can't take on the hwy), can't bring my wife *ever* in it, and would hate to get caught in the rain and wouldn't drive one below 50 degrees makes them not much more than a semi-useful toy to me. And basically most the days that I'd *could* make my 50 mile daily commute on a moped, I'd frequently just chose to pedal it into work anyways making the moped superfluous.

lordairgtar
03-23-2014, 12:57 AM
They also slide the vehicle sideways into an immovable pole.

So the Polish guy just sat there?

GTSLOW
03-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Don't get me wrong when it's my time it's my time and anyone could die in a car crash regardless of the rating. I just find it funny how they try to manipulate the advertising by claiming these amazing crash test ratings when really it's a different story.

-stew-
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
http://www.redrockprecisionmotors.com/Volkswagen-600-car.html

WickedSix
06-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Looks like the only opportunity to see this thing up close is this weekend June 13th-15th at the woodfield mall in Schamburg, IL

With a potential gas savings of $5500 the first year of ownership this thing has me more than a bit curious.