PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 120v MIG welder

Korndogg
03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Not looking for a total pile of junk but I'm not looking to spend a bunch. If nobody has anything, I'm just going to go get a cheap Harbor Freight or Northern Tool special.

awsomeears
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/tls/4365985168.html

MY FYN 79
03-09-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't have a welder for sale, but I can offer a suggestion.

Depending on how much power you want your welder to have, the Craftsman mig welder is actually a pretty decent piece if you can find a used one. It can either be used with gas or flux core wire, its made by Clarke (from Italy, not China), and it uses a Tweco gun so replacement parts are all over. I picked mine up used for $250 with a cart, regulators etc. Just had to get a tank. Obviously I wont be melting holes through 1/2" steel, but it does a nice job putzing around on smaller projects.

Just a thought.

MY FYN 79
03-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Heres a CL link to one as a reference-

http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/4325798142.html

Price is too high and the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about, but maybe its still available and negotiable.

stenchmiester
03-09-2014, 11:10 PM
I bought my Hobart handler 140 and cart for 500 new well worth the investment

Korndogg
03-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to get something better in the future. Honestly I'm just using this for very little things which is why I may just go the cheap HF/Northern Tool route. I'll most likely just go with flux core. I'm only using it for very small hobby things that I plan to sell. Just trying to get some extra money while I'm laid off.

spooln30
03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
I bought a 140/115volt Mig from Northern Tool. It's been a great welder for over 4 years and i use it a lot. I used to own a Hobart 140 and this NT mig stands right next to a machine double the price and holds it own. The gun/torch has been great and the quality has far exceeded my expectations. Even the ground clamp is a better style then the clamp on my old Hobart. The newer 140i now have a built in spot weld timer that I wish my older model had. Overall I wouldn't hesitate buying another but I don't see this one breaking anytime soon.

Wagonbacker9
03-13-2014, 10:44 AM
I got a decent Lincoln (HandyMig or something like that) flux-core off ebay from a pawn shop for like $250...

Ricky Bobby
03-13-2014, 03:11 PM
buddy just scored a hobart 140 off cl with a roll of wire for $300 and this is also the one i have been using for the last 7yrs on all my derby stuff....

Lash
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
This isn't a bad deal, and if I remember right, these are Lincoln knock offs so most Lincoln parts (gun, rollers) are compatible.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tld/4348531770.html

If you're welding spark plugs together or things to them you're going to need something more than a flux rig. The steel on plugs is stainless. The mig setup in the add comes with the regulator so you can weld stainless if you want.

Korndogg
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I hear ya with the stainless. I would only be tacking though which is usually no big deal with flux core. At least not what I've done in the past. The whole reason I might just get a $120 Northern Tool rig is because I wanted to do this while I'm laid off to possibly make some extra cash. I don't really have an extra $300+ at the moment for a set up. I would obviously get something better down the line and I can always use the cheap one for quick fixes or use it to take to someone's house to fix something, etc. Basically it would be used as a $100 tack welder. :rolf

Eventually, I would like to get a nice MIG rig and also a nice stick rig but I don't want to get anything until after my garage's power is converted anyway. I just wanted to see if anyone on here was getting rid of anything before I went and got something.

spooln30
03-15-2014, 12:57 AM
If I were you I would just spend the extra $ and get the Northern Tool 140 Mig. That way you won't have to get another one later down the road seeing that Mig is set of for flux and gas. All for a good price. You should be able to run across a tank for cheap. I found a 5 foot tank (it might be a 4 ft I can't remember) already filled with 75/25 argon/co2 mix from a guy and paid $75. It costs more to have them filled then that, I might be off a tad because I haven't had to fill this tank yet.

Ricky Bobby
03-15-2014, 12:03 PM
ill be swapping the plugs outta my derby motor this weekend you can have them if u like