PDA

View Full Version : Ford Exploder Heads

Old Guy
03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
What year did ford come out with the better heads for the exploder. I have a chance to get one for scrap price and was wondering if these heads were the better ones. It is a 1997 and it runs, I have no use for the motor or vehicle but could use a good set of heads for the new 347 stroker I got a while back. It will be for sale as soon as I can get to it. For now I am looking for some better heads for it, if not it will be sold as a short block.

95mustang302
03-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Up until jan/feb of 97 they were gt40s after that they were gt40p which were better but required specific headers due to the spark plug location. those heads are wayyyy to small for a 347.

Gregor
03-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah there is no way in hell a gt40 head will flow enough for a 347. In a iron head you might want to look for a set of used Windsor Sr heads.

If you want I have a set of 1969 351W heads you can have them all (3 sets) you can pick which ones you want or take them all for dirt cheap. But I don't think those will flow enough either.

Old Guy
03-10-2014, 09:47 PM
What kind of flow numbers do these GT40 heads have. I was under the impression the were as good as the chevy vortecs. I know the vortecs will easly make 400hp with a cam upgrade and the Mid America motors that B&B dyno are at 497-502hp. The Mid motors are a little peake in the rpm range they run in. Not a good street motor but fantastic on the track. The vortec are only factory rated at 170cfm on the intake. I always do most of the porting on the exhaust side with only a little clean up on the intake side.

DRK
03-11-2014, 09:22 AM
You would spend less time if you just googled the shit yourself. I feel bad for the guy who had to hold your hand while you learn the chevy stuff

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1269774-ported-iron-gt-40s-flowed-today-156cc-240-184-a.html

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Ford

Irish
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
You would spend less time if you just googled the shit yourself. I feel bad for the guy who had to hold your hand while you learn the chevy stuff

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1269774-ported-iron-gt-40s-flowed-today-156cc-240-184-a.html

Lol

sidewayzbimmer
03-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Didnt you say you had a complete motor pan to brand new intake?

Old Guy
03-11-2014, 09:41 PM
I do but I was trying to find out what heads would be the best for the motor. I don't think the heads on the motor are that great if they are just a set of 302 heads. You can copy the cubic inches but the heads are what makes the power.

Old Guy
03-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Well I got done putting the bottom end together and had a chance to look at the heads that came off the motor. The cam makes power for 2200-6200rpms and its a hyd roller. Motor came out of a station wagon and he rebuilt it himself so that's why the hodg podg of parts. The heads are stamped E6SE and I can't find any information on them. So he is looking for the best heads for a cheap price, he has the headers for the old heads so the GT40P are out of the question. I know what I would do but he wants to use a ford motor that he has.

DurtyKurty
03-19-2014, 10:26 PM
What is his budget for heads?

Old Guy
03-20-2014, 05:59 AM
More in the line of a set of GT40 door stops. I can get a set from our local motor core buyer and do the porting and head work myself. I would like to get a set from some one that just wants to get them out of his way.

DurtyKurty
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM
I guess, if you are doing the work for free. Otherwise, I don't see how porting and working a set of Iron heads is any cheaper then a set of aluminum.

Old Guy
03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
It not hard to port a set of heads. 4 hours with a grinder sanding rolls and some flap wheels and their as good as new. I could never see a reason to send out a set of iron heads to have some one else port them. I have done lots of heads for friends and customers alike. Its not in Tims budget at this time to spend on a set of after market heads. I would like to get the car together and running with what I can come up with.

DurtyKurty
03-20-2014, 02:08 PM
4 hours? You're not porting them, you're just cleaning them up.

Prince Valiant
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
What kind of flow numbers do these GT40 heads have. Pretty much flow data on every head ever made from modern to archaic:

Also includes worked versions from various shops from mild to wild.

GTSLOW
03-20-2014, 11:12 PM
This guy he's still at it. Don't listen to them you put those fucking heads on...

Old Guy
03-21-2014, 05:59 AM
The GT40s sound like the best choice for the motor right now, THANKS. As soon as I get a set on the bench and get them prepped I will be able to get the motor assembled.

Gregor
03-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Really GT40 are your best option, man your in a bad position.

4 hours wouldn't even take off the thermo bumps.

Old Guy
03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
I have asked on here what are the best heads for the lowest price. If there is something better then let me know what they are. As for the porting if you are using only the sanding rolls then mabe it would take that long. I have expensive bits that do most of the ruffing in and then the sanding rolls come into play and then the flap wheels for the final polish. 90% of the flow is gained with a simple pocket port. I think most of the people on here forget that this is a SIMPLE street /bracket car.

Gregor
03-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Like I said go find a used set of Windsor SR heads.

Old Guy
03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Picked up a set of GT 40 heads from a mustang guy. $50 for the pair, said they have been holding the door open long enough. Should have the motor buttoned up this week and in the car.

DRK
03-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Thats cool, be sure to tell us how it under performs and you should have put a chevy in it.

Old Guy
03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
So the best heads that ford made for the mustang and you think it will under perform. For the price they will do just fine. A little clean up on the porting bench and this thing will rock??

Gregor
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
No you just keep missing the point. Its like a bad punchline.

You have a 347 which is 45 CI more than a stock. And you are putting a set of heads on it that will choke a 302. So you think the weak part of the engine is the displacement. Again completely flipping wrong. Do you know anything about engines? Like they are nothing more than air pumps, with HP and TQ being a by product? For a stock 302 you need a 165 cc head to make a difference, on a 347-351 you need a 195 cc head. And no Ford made better they are called FMS Yates 6049. Which is a knock off of a BBC head. Which would be on the other side of the spectrum, ports are to big and you will lose air velocity.

Lets look at the Lightning engine, its a 351, so about the same displacement as a 347. Or at least closer to the 351 than the 302. And those had GT40 heads on it. So what was the HP of a first gen lighting?

WOW a whole 240 HP. That sounds awesome. That's like 30 HP more than a stock 5.0. Sign me up. Fuck even my stupidly slow 302 in my Mustang will have better VE than the pile of shit your building.

So go ahead and place those awesomely 4 hour ported GT40 on a 347 so we can laugh at you.

Old Guy
03-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry about the mix up on motors Gregor. The motor that the GT40 heads are going on is a fresh 306 not the stroker motor. I have not had time to get to the stroker because its maybe number 6 after the other motors. The 306 is for the guy that I share the shop with, he is so booked up that he does not have time to do the rebuild on his motor. Then and only then will I maybe have time to look at the 347 and see what in it. I have a guy from west of Chicago that picked up a vortec short block sunday morning and said he would be very interested in it when and if I get around to it. Gregor if you interested in the 347 short block PM me.

Prince Valiant
03-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Well, now we know it's for a 306 or whatever...I mean, you did say it was for a 347 and did nothing to correct any errors when it was mentioned numerous times afterwards...reminds me of grim reaper...

Though I honestly don't know why GT40's would *choke* a 347? They aren't the worst heads in the world, on par with dozen's of stock iron heads from 340's, 350's, and 360's (amc's and mopars). A lot better than stock 302's for certain...THOSE would *choke* a 347, and almost choke 302's. Better head choices out there no doubt...for not a lot of money either...

Gregor
03-25-2014, 10:37 PM
I have set of pro ported GT40 laying around at my friends shop. I picked them up for dirt cheap. I had many head porters look at them and confirm this. And even then they would not come close to a set of AFRs. They were also machined for studs, and bigger valve springs.

They would be good for a small displacement 302 biased engine as a non performance application.

Old Guy
03-26-2014, 07:22 AM
I will agree that any of the factory iron heads are no match for a set of after market heads. All of the performance motors back in the day, had a good set of stock iron heads. With some porting they were the hot ticket for the street and strip. Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. Good choice with the AFRs.

DRK
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. .

God damn your a fucking douche bag

Gregor
03-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I will agree that any of the factory iron heads are no match for a set of after market heads. All of the performance motors back in the day, had a good set of stock iron heads. With some porting they were the hot ticket for the street and strip. Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. Good choice with the AFRs.

GT40 were never a good setup. Only if you were racing Factory stock or CMC and then your BS 4 hour port job is a slap in the face to anyone who ports heads for a living. Because when the explorer and cobra had those heads, TFS and Edelbrock were twice the head.

And just saying " Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast." Shows how really retarded you are. Yes it takes money all motorsports do. Why because a cheap fuck like you won't spend the cash to buy a good set of heads or is it that you can't take a basic principal of air goes in and air goes out. It takes more than just money to build a top performing engine, it takes time and a plan. From carburetor to oil pan, everything has to be planned out.

Maybe you should stick to Chevys for a bit longer and go run the market on 3/4 cams and double hump cylinder heads.

Old Guy
03-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Please go back and read post #25. Its NOT my motor or car or anything, I am just doing the rebuild. The guy does not have a lot of money with 3 kids and a X wife. This motor is so he can drive the car and have a little fun with it on a BUDGET. Pocket porting the heads will give it that little extra that is needed for FREE over the set of E6 station wagon heads that it came with. I enjoy helping people out, because I can.

animal
03-27-2014, 07:24 AM
:popcorn

thumper3143
04-16-2014, 03:32 AM
So the best heads that ford made for the mustang and you think it will under perform. For the price they will do just fine. A little clean up on the porting bench and this thing will rock??

Gt40 heads were made for the explorer not mustang street guys used them on mustangs because it was a cheap and easy way to produce a few extra horses. Most guys were to lazy to do the whole swap to make a real differance being bigger injectors as well as tb and maf and most of the ones that did did it ass backwards

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

thumper3143
04-16-2014, 03:45 AM
347 and 306 have the same bore 4.030 the stroke is different. Take a look at this obviously there are a few people on this tread that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground!!! http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/302-stroker-information.719569/

Irish
04-16-2014, 01:54 PM
347 and 306 have the same bore 4.030 the stroke is different. Take a look at this obviously there are a few people on this tread that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground!!! http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/302-stroker-information.719569/

So the point your trying to make is...?

animal
04-16-2014, 02:26 PM
:rolf @ this thread

DRK
04-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Gt40 heads were made for the explorer not mustang street guys used them on mustangs because it was a cheap and easy way to produce a few extra horses. Most guys were to lazy to do the whole swap to make a real differance being bigger injectors as well as tb and maf and most of the ones that did did it ass backwards

Wrong, 1993, 94, & 95 Cobra and Cobra R Mustangs all had GT-40 heads. Ford Performance also sold these for many years bare, assembled, and on crate motors. Stock GT-40 irons, which are almost a direct copy of '69 351 windsors, are only good for 20-25 hp over a stock E7 heads no matter what parts you use with them. Also a stock 19lb injector will support 350 HP n/a at 44psi so swapping injectors would gain nothing.

DRK
04-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Pure genius! You stated a obvious fact which was never disputed then claimed superiority, well done.

GTSLOW
04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
So the point your trying to make is...?

That YOU don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Now what?

Irish
04-17-2014, 07:32 PM
I think he was referring to you Nan. Are you going to bring the Obama bail out car to the track this year?

Gregor
04-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Pure genius! You stated a obvious fact which was never disputed then claimed superiority, well done.

Ok so I wasn't going mad when I read this.

GTSLOW
04-22-2014, 08:43 AM
I think he was referring to you Nan. Are you going to bring the Obama bail out car to the track this year?

:rolf cash for clunkers to the maxxxxxx