PDA

View Full Version : amyone have experience with stand alone fuel injection systems?

Memphis
03-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Looking at doing fuel injection on a small block Chevy. 383 500ish horse at this point. Looking for something easyish to install and setup and something reliable. Also looking into the future something that can possibly support more hp if the need comes up without having to go to a whole new system. Any experience?

95 TA - The Beast
03-08-2014, 12:14 PM
There are a couple of nice MSD systems you should look at... very adjustable and very easy to setup... And very easy to program (ie, no in-depth knowledge needed, just basic setup parameters and it auto-tunes itself while running)... Been a while and haven't looked at what they offer in the past few years, but they had some nice setups and I can imagine they only got better...

SSDude
03-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Holly and Edelbrock have systems as well.

Memphis
03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Holley MSD Fast and Edelb rock all make decent looking systems...just wondering if one is better than the other for any particular reason?

Moparjim
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
No experience with any yet first hand, but I have looked at them and they all seem fairly similar so seems to me it comes down to price you can score one for, maybe a few features or look and feel that you like over one another...

95 TA - The Beast
03-09-2014, 11:15 AM
One of the big issues I had with Edelbrock is they are designed and expected to only be used with their equipment... They definitely seemed like it was all Edelbrock or go somewhere else (and I got the impression with talking with their reps once that is how they wanted it, ie, if you used someone elses part on their system they wouldn't even try to "deal with it" from a tech support and programming standpoint)...

The Holley system was pretty complete as well, but again, made to work with their products, even though it seemed like they at least tried to be more open...

The MSD seemed the most configurable in regards to working with anything out there.

MY FYN 79
03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I generally don't put MSD and nice in the same sentence. :D

I had an Accel DFI Gen 7 setup on a 400 in my Monte Carlo. Ran it with the Accel wideband and also ran it sequential with the Accel dual sync distributor. My opinion? Put a good carb and intake on it.

I would argue all day and night about people using "self-tuning" setups. Will it run? Probably. Will it run "perfect" and make max power? Nearly impossible when you are dealing with aggressive cams etc.

DurtyKurty
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
One of the big issues I had with Edelbrock is they are designed and expected to only be used with their equipment... They definitely seemed like it was all Edelbrock or go somewhere else (and I got the impression with talking with their reps once that is how they wanted it, ie, if you used someone elses part on their system they wouldn't even try to "deal with it" from a tech support and programming standpoint)...

Got an example?

SloFarmTruck
03-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Take a good look at the FAST systems. Great quality with lots of potential and ability to upgrade. Are you looking to run a carb intake manifold or an efi manifold. If your going the route of carb replacement than look into the HP ratings of each unit. I believe most of them are rated around 500hp max but the Fast has the ability to have the injectors changed for more power. Regardless they all seem to run between $1500 - $3000.

spooln30
03-10-2014, 01:58 AM
I've heard tons of great things about the FAST efi systems.